::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2002, 01:20 AM   #1
Wren57

GS into GSX = no crankwalk

Well I have pondered, and thought, and tried to make little light-bulbs turn on but they kept burning out... Finally I think I got one lit... The whole crankwalk issue... sure its not on all cars, but it would suck if I got a bad one (already planning for next year )... the whole crankwalk thing sucks, so I want no chance of getting it... my idea is- take a GS engine... mod the crap outta it with like 5k... then drop it into the GSX with a new turbo... then you have a built turbo motor with no crankwalk and AWD... surely it cant be that easy, can it? Certainly if it were that easy somebody wouldda thought of it or done it already. Any drawbacks to this? Any at all? I cant think of any...
Old 07-19-2002, 06:55 AM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Doesnt seem very logical to me.. It would be cheaper to fix a crankwalk problem to buy a GS motor and build for a turbo, etc.

Keep in mind internals on a factory turboed car will be better suited for a turbo. IE, lower compression pistons, and other stronger internals.. If you get a GS motor you will have to build all the internals, strengthen the block, etc.. Its just not worth it IMO. Especially because you are afraid that you might buy a GSX that might have a develope a crank walk problem.

If you were going to do that, just buy a cheap civic or integra and turbo and build the hell out of that.. Or just buy a WRX!
Old 07-19-2002, 08:13 AM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

wrx mmmmmm....

yeah i agree with RR on this one

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 02:25 PM   #4
Wren57

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Doesnt seem very logical to me.. It would be cheaper to fix a crankwalk problem to buy a GS motor and build for a turbo, etc.

Keep in mind internals on a factory turboed car will be better suited for a turbo. IE, lower compression pistons, and other stronger internals.. If you get a GS motor you will have to build all the internals, strengthen the block, etc.. Its just not worth it IMO. Especially because you are afraid that you might buy a GSX that might have a develope a crank walk problem.

If you were going to do that, just buy a cheap civic or integra and turbo and build the hell out of that.. Or just buy a WRX!

A: Well I would replace just about everything in the GSX motor anyways... and if I bought a GSX and a seperate GS engine, I could build the engine while still being able to drive the car. Keep in mine I said I was gonna replace just about everything- rods/pistons/gaskets/valves/sleeves/etc etc... Then when I was done I could just swap the two and sell the stock GSX engine for more than I paid for the stock GS engine. Then I would have a built engine with no crankwalk issues ready for lots more boost. I dont see why doing something right sounds like a bad idea to you . Oh- and the civic/acura thing... you gotta be kidding right? As if there arent plenty of those floating around... sorry but I dont want to "customize" my car and still have it look like every other civic that has been "customized". Sure there are quite a few modded eclipse's out there, but not near the numbers of modified civics. WRX- yeah, itd be nice, but then Id have no money left to mod and insurance would be a lot higher. Just some more thoughts
Old 07-19-2002, 03:11 PM   #5
blownteggy

why work backwords? you would still have a problem with the tranny from the gsx since it's all wheel drive. just buy a gsx....
Old 07-19-2002, 04:34 PM   #6
Wren57

Yeah thats a good point. I hadnt considered the fact that the GSX is AWD and it'll be all screwed up... oh well that sucks... yeah I guess I would just fix the crankwalk problem... haha who am I kidding, I cant get a car until next may anyways, so why do I care now... oh yeah, I just remembered... Im planning waaay ahead of myself so I dont screw anything up
Old 07-19-2002, 04:56 PM   #7
blownteggy

avoiding crankwalk= balancing engine, swap to 1st gen gsx or gst engine
Old 07-20-2002, 12:40 AM   #8
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

240 + sr20det = much faster

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 01:30 AM   #9
toykilla

you have to also see that the gsx is a completely different car. its 100% jap and the gs engine is 100% american. theres no way to make it work without about 10grand. its actually cheaper to get a brand new gs engine completely rebuilt, blueprinted and balanced than to buy the internals for a gsx.
Old 07-20-2002, 01:30 AM   #10
toykilla

Re: GS into GSX = no crankwalk

Quote:
Originally posted by highlander
my idea is- take a GS engine... mod the crap outta it with like 5k...

It will take a hell of a lot more money than that.
Old 07-20-2002, 11:56 PM   #11
Wren57

Ok that makes some sense. I was blind to the fact that they were diff engines all together- I thought they were the same, but that the GSX just had better internals and a turbo... hehe silly me... oh well- I figure I will get at least 20k for my car next year if I try to keep miles down- then get a high-mileage GSX for around 12... that leaves 8k plus the 10k I have right now in the stock market and the nearly 2k I have in the bank... so yeah a GSX with 20k to mod it out with... that sounds like fun

well of course then I will have to pay insurance, so take out 5k to pay it for a while... 15k in mods still sounds like a good time to me