Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2005, 02:35 PM   #1
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

E-Missionaries

I'll start off by saying that it is not my intent to piss anybody off. You all know how I feel on religion and I'll do my best to tread lightly.

E-Missionaries: Is it the newest thing?
Lately, I have been seeing a lot of this kind of thing…People jumping on the internet to spread the word of God. Now, this is all fine and good, but just like all missionaries, they’re being pushy.
Jumping on a Honda board to tell people that the only way to get into heaven is to accept Jesus as their lord and savior is NOT the way to earn new members to his flock.
I realize that it may be a good way, to catch people off guard (typical missionary imho)...but it really annoys the majority of those that see it.

There are probably Christian web forums right? Don't they have rules on where things go? What kinds of music are appropriate doesn’t probably belong in a forum section devoted to what kinds of wines and breads are used in communion next month.
If that’s the case, then they clearly understand that certain things go in certain places. Sorry, but God does not belong in the Civic tech forum. General discussion, alright...but not from some guy that just hops on the board for that sole reason.
(To add to that, christian forums probably have rules against spamming the board with topics as well.)

I seriously wonder how they would feel if I went around trying to convince them that they should sell their big church bus and buy a fleet of Honda Odysseys or a pack of CRV’s, because it just makes more sense because "It’s a Honda."

...I have never liked missionaries. Now that they are entering my personal space, I like them even less.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

my god can beat your god

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 03:49 PM   #3
Mischief

well my god's penis is bigger than your god's.

edit: who is this e-missionary anyway? i mean who're you directing this to..

http://mensalmanac.com

Last edited by Mischief : 02-20-2005 at 03:52 PM.
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
CD5Passion

i think that if this is about someone I know who it is

but that sort of thing bothers me too
Old 02-20-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

No no, its no one on this site. Well, we have had this here before, but not lately. The last one we had was a flash animation of Jesus being crucified.
This has nothing to do w/ the latest threads...just a coincidence

Currently its about a thread that @ honda-tech.
Basically, its like "Good news! If you accept Jesus you'll go to heaven!" Then it goes into a prayer and then after saying it "Welcome to the family of God" or something to that extent.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:52 PM   #6
Mischief

that's lame and I'm not saying that because my own religious preferences, because I do believe in God and everything, it's just stupid place to put it.. It'd be like us going onto a religious forum and debating why we prefer honda over chevy

http://mensalmanac.com
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:15 PM   #7
AzCivic

thats weird.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:23 PM   #8
Wren57

blah... I was in the Seville Quarter of Pensacola last night and me and my 3 friends were approached by 2 guys. They asked us what we were doing that night and if we were "looking for a good time." We were like "um, yeah, we want to have fun, but we aren't exactly looking for what you're offering."... thought they were trying to sell drugs... turns out all they said was "Well, Jesus is my good time" then lured us into a conversation for about 10 minutes... he kept asking us questions, but after a minute or so of that BS I started asking him questions making him shut his mouth and proving how counterproductive he was, then we left...
Old 02-20-2005, 08:30 PM   #9
JDMFantasy2k

yeah my aunt and uncle live about an hour from pensacola (ft. walton beach/valpraiso area) My mom and i visit every year and let me tell you how much it sucks. My cousins and i call it " the bible belt" because every town down there is like that. What's worse is when i have to go to church at 9 and don't get out till 3, and haven't eaten all day

and yeah my mom is gung-ho christian. It irritates me on many occasions.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:06 PM   #10
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Man...I LIVE in the bible belt. A while back I went to a Carquest here in town to get some wiper blades and misc. shit for the truck. They gave a 10% discount to students and were never busy (which sucks because they closed shortly after). One of the guys there was apparently so bored he offered to put the blades on for me, which was also cool. Then I went back in to pay for everything and he invited me to some dinner his church puts on every Monday for students. That's cool, I thought, even though I'm never going to go. Then he started in with "I don't know where I'd be without christ in my life" and blah blah blah. I had to look around to make sure I hadn't been magically transported to a church. I mean...it's a parts store. It's like that everywhere you go here. He was a really nice guy and everything and I hate to rip on him, but man...there's a time and place for everything. If I started preaching to people at my job, I'd get fired pretty fuckin quick.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 10:36 PM   #11
JDMFantasy2k

yeah i should be able to walk into the nearest auto zone and preach about how i got ass the other day, or something to that extent.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:50 PM   #12
MissJDM

The town I grew up in (well, last five years of my life before I went off to college) is much worse. We had school prayers..REQUIRED. Even though it only lasted for a few months, I think it's comlpete bullshit. We had Christian clubs; dude, we didn't even have a spanish.japanese or any of the sort club. We didn't allow any visitors on campus..but if they were from the church, they'd be an exception as they were there to "inform" us. In English class, teacher's would have quotes from the Bible on whiteboards. It's not that I'm exactly bitching, as I just brushed it off..but isn't that unfair? Not to those who aren't religious..but even to those of different religion..like myself.

you say it best when you say nothing at all
MissJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:21 AM   #13
mylittlecivic

I talk about my beliefs with people but only when they ask or if its appropriate, I dont bug people or push things on them. And I definetly think a car forum tech section esp is not the place for that, thats just too much.

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote