Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2004, 06:21 AM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I swear, I'm never hitting a track again

Ok...so it's cold in Kansas this time of year and the tracks are all slick but my school's drag club rented out the local raceway for the second weekend in as many months. After my last fiasco with slicks (some of you may remember I broke a header and my H-pipe due to a wheelstand), I'd hoped for better this time out. I planned on 2 passes...one for practice and the other to go for broke. Most everyone else was lining up for pass after pass but I wanted to play it safe. I heated up and took a conservative pass on slicks that wasn't my best even on street tires (a 10.66et). After that I felt I had a feel for the slicks and where the point between another wheelstand and spinning the tires was at. So I lined up against a lightly modded turbo RX-7 (he just happened to be in line next to me). So once again I heat up the slicks and decided to stage a little deep. I cut a pretty good tree and a 1.43 60ft mark...not too bad for a turbo RWD V8. When it was all said and done I had what I was looking for...a 9 second pass (9.92 @ 152mph, to be exact). But oh no...it couldn't be that easy. Just after I hit the traps I noticed a noise and my boost gauge was registering almost nothing. Then the fun part...in the pits I notice smoke from under my hood. I popped the hood and noticed a decent sized crack that ran all the way down my turbo. WTF? I get shit for luck at the track. Now I've got a 9 second pass on slicks and no f@cking turbo. I limped the car home and started making calls...but it's Sunday and who the hell is open on Sunday? Crap...Now I either need a new T-76 turbo or I'll have to wait for my new motor and possibly a smaller turbo pushing more psi. I'm NEVER hitting another drag strip.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 08:16 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

it looks like every time your car goes for "broke" on slicks

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 08:20 AM   #3
BlackWolf
La Loba Loca

^^ quite literally........buck up little camper, coulda been worse....my ex blew a piston in his just built 3k blue printed motor by a small pebble that got sucked through the system....never ran an air filter, told him to but he never listened.....
Old 02-16-2004, 08:54 AM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

daym GT40.... nice time bro. Sorry about the turbo. Have you ever checked out www.cheapturbo.com? That is probably one of the cheapest site I've ever seen with reliable turbos. If you go smaller turbo, which one are you getting?

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 12:21 PM   #5
V8killimports

What is your motor that runs u 9s as a daily driven car? Detailed specs please. Not doubting you at all, but I have a bitch of a time keeping mine daily dipping into 10s, and have yet to have it blown, which I can't do unless I can tame mine a little more.
V8killimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 01:04 PM   #6
4drmadness

wow conrats on the 9's but reall sucks on the spool monster...hope you might be able to get a replacement for a good price and be set......
Old 02-16-2004, 02:25 PM   #7
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by V8killimports
What is your motor that runs u 9s as a daily driven car? Detailed specs please. Not doubting you at all, but I have a bitch of a time keeping mine daily dipping into 10s, and have yet to have it blown, which I can't do unless I can tame mine a little more.

Actually, most of the streetability comes from the cam (it's custom and relatively small so it works well with the turbo). Otherwise...it's got all the stuff in the sig (with a few changed parts here and there). It's a Sportsman 302 block punched over .030" with a 3.25" stroke forged crank and 4340 forged H-beam rods. The pistons are also forged blower pistons. the intake is a Coast High Performance Spyder intake (basically a carb intake that's been fitted for injectors) and the heads are now Brodix Track 1s (an upgrade from the Canfields, but I'm thinking hard about some AFR 205s/225s)That's about as detailed as I'm sure anyone wants. Oh...and of course the turbo...a 3-core intercooled T-76 set to 12psi. My suspension also does a great deal of the work. I've got coil overs at all 4 corners so it's relatively easy to set it for drag, street, track, whatever. Plus the torque arm and panhard bar make you hook like a bastard. And the tubular K-member and A-arms drop weight and help with weight transfer. So yeah...it's mostly the engine, but not entirely.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 02-16-2004, 03:35 PM   #8
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
Actually, most of the streetability comes from the cam (it's custom and relatively small so it works well with the turbo). Otherwise...it's got all the stuff in the sig (with a few changed parts here and there). It's a Sportsman 302 block punched over .030" with a 3.25" stroke forged crank and 4340 forged H-beam rods. The pistons are also forged blower pistons. the intake is a Coast High Performance Spyder intake (basically a carb intake that's been fitted for injectors) and the heads are now Brodix Track 1s (an upgrade from the Canfields, but I'm thinking hard about some AFR 205s/225s)That's about as detailed as I'm sure anyone wants. Oh...and of course the turbo...a 3-core intercooled T-76 set to 12psi. My suspension also does a great deal of the work. I've got coil overs at all 4 corners so it's relatively easy to set it for drag, street, track, whatever. Plus the torque arm and panhard bar make you hook like a bastard. And the tubular K-member and A-arms drop weight and help with weight transfer. So yeah...it's mostly the engine, but not entirely.

What's the intake look like? Super victor? Team G? something like that? What's the powerband for your setup?
V8killimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 03:47 PM   #9
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Spyder intake

I've actually got the Super Spyder...same thing just a bigger intake. And mine isn't all polished like the one in the photo. They'll make it out of just about any intake you want from what I've been told. Mine is an Edelbrock Victor. Basically just the intake with injectors on it and a huge 90* tube feeding it. At first I thought it would be a problem down low because it's a huge single plane, but the DFI system makes up for the lack of a dual plenum. As for powerband...if we're talking off boost, it doesn't start coming on strong until around 2500-3000rpm. The aforementioned cam is a big help. Being a turbo'ed car I couldn't run a huge cam...high lift and low duartion and a VERY high LSA (112*...as performance cams go that's nothing). I'd say all around on and off boost averaged out it's around 2500rpm-6000rpm or so...I've never pushed more than the stock rev limiter would have let me do which is 6250rpm. The motor N/A only makes a little over 425hp...if I had a good N/A cam it would be a lot more but what are ya gonna do?

Old 02-16-2004, 06:05 PM   #10
GeneralDzur

Man, sorry about the turbo. I'd hate to see that happen to my weak little motor... :(

- Dzur