Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2004, 04:44 AM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

More drunken insights

So I got to wondering today...why is it inappropriate for me to use the dreaded "N" word if it's not in a malicious or racist conext? I mean...Samual L. Jackson uses it in just about every movie he's in (which is just about every movie released). And no, I don't draw any distinction between the words "nigga" and "nigger". I watched "Chappelle's Show" a couple weeks ago in which they portrayed a white family whose last name was "Niggar" and flipped the word to white folks...one of the most insanely genius and hilarious things I've seen in a long ass time. I'm sick of the double standard...the word "cracker" is like the punchline of a joke but the word "nigger" is somehow the most offensive thing I can say. When I was in high school, one of my friends got into a fight with a hispanic kid (not exactly the same, but the same principle). The kid said "hey man, when's your birthday so I can go out and but you some f@ckin crackers b!tch". My friends response? "Well...when's yours so I can go buy you a towel for your back b!tch?". Now...both racist statements, but who do you think got suspended? That's right...my friend. The other kid got a "don't do it again" and his heartfelt condolences for the violation of his heritage. F@ck all that. If you're gonna use the word to describe each other then you've opened the door and made it fair game for everyone else if used in the same or similar context. Maybe I'm wrong...but that shit just pisses me off.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 05:53 AM   #2
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i read a line and ahl;f, and i think i sgree... but im, too drunk to rtesally comprehend atm. so uhh.. yeah im not gonna eben rembersd this, bur ywH, **** that shit swho thinks PC and crap.. cause i don tm,ean to ofedn peoplsd and shit. **** the sun is comng up and i nedx to sleep but its earely and late,

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 11:27 AM   #3
nonovurbizniz

drinking has lots of benifts...

I see what you're saying but the difference is that noone was yelling "cracker" or "honkey" as a MOB of minorities were stringing up a white guy...

It's just got too much history...

White people find cracker etc funny because it's just a word and has no implications...

Black people don't like nigger because it's NOT just a word and there are MILLIONS of implications...

It belittles the person in a way a white man will NEVER understand...

It all depends on how it's being used... but overall it's just not an acceptable term IMO.

And white people have NO rights to ***** about it IMO either... we've got just about everything else... at least show some respect in your vocabulary.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:34 PM   #4
B16DoHcCrx033003
4th Gear

i love drunk people^,

anyways, another thing that pisses me off, is that they can call each other it, and we cant and its basicaly the same thing.....
B16DoHcCrx033003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 04:20 PM   #5
4drmadness

well I feel there is a time and place for it to be uses..in all actuallity if you get technical the word mean ignorant...
OR
Used as a disparaging term for a member of any socially, economically, or politically deprived group of people: “Gun owners are the new niggers... of society” (John Aquilino).
I mean I just want society as a whole to get along, personally..so much more would be accomplished that way...UNITY
Old 02-14-2004, 04:27 PM   #6
black95gs-t

I have long wondered the same thing. If they don't want us to say it, Why do they continue to use it? IMO if it hurts that much to hear the word, why do they continue to use it?
J

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 04:35 PM   #7
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

the world is full of double standards

Ive been called a cracker before as racial thing...I laughed, he got even more pissed and left. I thought it was great
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:33 PM   #8
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by black95gs-t
I have long wondered the same thing. If they don't want us to say it, Why do they continue to use it? IMO if it hurts that much to hear the word, why do they continue to use it?
J

That's what I'm saying...if you think of each other that way enough to throw the word around, then why is it so wrong if someone else says it? Black folks who defend the use of it say they do it to "take the word back" and to "make it their own". If that's the case then you shouldn't get pissed at all when someone says it. So for the moment, let's forget the word "cracker". There's a lot of other slurs for whites based on your heritage that aren't taken anywhere near as serious. among these are: kraut, limey, wop, shylock, ginny, mick, frog, whitebread, cakeater, etc. Now if someone throws out one of these words at me I feel not only entitled but obligated to throw their's back at them. But no no...that's a hate crime (or at least hate speech). It's just the whole "black pride" thing. You say you've got black pride and people are proud of you. You say you've got white pride and you're automatically a racist. Black folks and white folks do the same stupid shit and if anyone gets to be proud, everyone gets to be proud.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 02-15-2004, 10:26 PM   #9
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
drinking has lots of benifts...

I see what you're saying but the difference is that noone was yelling "cracker" or "honkey" as a MOB of minorities were stringing up a white guy...

It's just got too much history...

White people find cracker etc funny because it's just a word and has no implications...

Black people don't like nigger because it's NOT just a word and there are MILLIONS of implications...

It belittles the person in a way a white man will NEVER understand...

It all depends on how it's being used... but overall it's just not an acceptable term IMO.

And white people have NO rights to ***** about it IMO either... we've got just about everything else... at least show some respect in your vocabulary.

Yeah, well plenty of groups of black folks were yelling cracker while I walked down the hallways of my high school. And no, they weren't trying to be nice either.....

And what do white folks have? What's this everything else that you speak of?

Moving right along, any word used in hatred is a hate word, regardless of how I perceive it. If I say "what's up my nigga?" that's not a hate word. If I say "fuck off nigga!" then it's a hate word. Same goes for cracker. "How are my little crackers doing today?" Not a hate word.....get my drift?

Sure there's a history but words change with time. Gay is now a negative term whereas it meant just the opposite in the past. Retarded also has taken negative connotations and thus is no longer PC to use when it used to be an acceptable word of no ill feeling to use. Retarded means the same thing as declined, it just doesn't "sound as nice." My point being that nigger/nigga has become an acceptable term to use in some circles of the black community (no, not all black people condone/accept the use of the word for many of the same reasons whites point out) and they themselves have degraded the formerly powerful meaning of the word.

b
Old 02-16-2004, 01:20 AM   #10
MAXed Out
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by B16DoHcCrx033003
i love drunk people^,

anyways, another thing that pisses me off, is that they can call each other it, and we cant and its basicaly the same thing.....

Damn right!
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
MAXed Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 12:19 PM   #11
SolPol

I have white pride
Old 02-17-2004, 01:09 AM   #12
mylittlecivic

i dont really like the N word it just sounds ugly to me, I hate when my grandparents refer to black people as N's because they are a little racial and my boyfriend is black so its irritating:o

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 03:41 AM   #13
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

^^ I thought your bf was a mulado (sp?) Anna? In any event, my great grandparents were the same way...they refered to blacks as "jigs" (of course, short for jigaboo). It's not really that they think of blacks that way (at least in my experience), it's just that that's what they grew up with. My dad used to tell me there was a saying him and his friends used. If you got a new shirt or something of the sort and your friends asked where you got it, your response would be "stole it off a dead nigger". Keep in mind this was the 50s and such statements didn't carry the stigma they do today. The point of this whole thread isn't the word itself, it's how it's context has been distorted by the very people it was meant to offend. Why do they use it and it's a taboo for whites? I know it seems like I post a lot of racially motivated threads...but it's because none of it makes sense to me. And an uninquisitive mind doesn't have shit to live for...so you be the judge.

Old 02-17-2004, 07:10 PM   #14
mylittlecivic

mulado? i dunno what that means lol. yeah he is only half tho. I Dont really like any names people are people theyre not this or that:o

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:24 PM   #15
AzCivic

omg
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:36 PM   #16
Daviso27
3rd Gear

My opinion...Say it all you want, Sh!t...Im Puerto Rican and I say it...but you have to be prepared for someone to take it as an offensive comment...I had an issue, one time a buddy of mines' friend got upset cause I kept saying it...I told his ass..."What? Are you intimidated by a Rican saying Nigga?" He said, he thought I was a white boy....What is the difference, I don't know...If you want to say it , say it...but be prepared for trouble.
Daviso27 is offline   Reply With Quote