Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2004, 04:47 AM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Why I hate political correctness: Part II

Cartoons. As odd as that may sound I've got a good reason. I love watching old Looney Toons and Tom & Jerry Cartoons. i watched some tonight after liquors had drunkened me and discovered something that pissed me off. I'm watching cartoons I've seen at least 50 times but something's differnet. In the Looney toons stuff, all of the references to "black-face" have been removed. In many of the Tom & Jerry episodes their owner happens to be a black woman. Her voice has been re-dubbed with a less "offensive" voice. And now you can't see any of the old Speedy Gonzalez movies because hispanics feel it's derogatory. F@ck all of that. It's history...those cartoons were made at a point in time where that wasn't considered offensive. It's like when I was in Germany...any and all references to WWII (aside from the concentration camp museums) were covered up. In their "history" museum, planes with swastikas on them were very obviously painted over. So we've gotten to the point where we're willing to sacrifice historical things to appease a small group of people. Not that cartoons are historic, but they're symbols of the times they were produced in. Sorry for the rant, it just pisses me off hat I have to watch modified versions of the cartoons I grew up with just to make a few people feel better about themselves.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 08:56 AM   #2
juvenile

Wow I never got the chance to watch older cartoons but that's ****ed up. Read what I have to say in your riot thread. I think it relates somehow.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:20 PM   #3
V8killimports

Yea I hear you.. u know what pisses me off the most, is the big deal these people make about a silly cartoon, yet they can have african-american clubs, and black pride day. Those are ok for some reason segregating themselves. but what about if you had a white club, or white pride day? How do you suppose that would look. They want double standards.
V8killimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:22 PM   #4
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

they are redubbing cartoons? **** that... people need to grow up and realize everyone isnt trying to piss them off.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:18 PM   #5
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by V8killimports
Those are ok for some reason segregating themselves. but what about if you had a white club, or white pride day? How do you suppose that would look.

I do so hate that. Bleck people can walk around all day long saying they're proud to be black and know one bats an eye. But if I were to even mention that I'm proud to be white, I've gotta be in the KKK, right? I can't say I'm proud to be white, but I'm proud of where I came from. Just like you shouldn't be proud to be black either...it's just a skin color. As for my issue with cartoons, I can't even believe we've gotten to the point where someone would do that so I'd get pissed. They're cartoons for f@ck's sake. Children who love them are usually too young to understand the social message and those old enough to understand can put it into context. I mean if you really wanna get offended by a mainstream cartoon character, who not Speedy Gonzalez's friend (who's name I can't remember) who was always lazy and drunk and falling asleep under trees? Or Tequila the Vulture (yes, that was really his name) because, in my opinion, he's supposed to be retarded.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 02-01-2004, 02:35 PM   #6
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
I do so hate that. Bleck people can walk around all day long saying they're proud to be black and know one bats an eye. But if I were to even mention that I'm proud to be white, I've gotta be in the KKK, right? I can't say I'm proud to be white, but I'm proud of where I came from. Just like you shouldn't be proud to be black either...it's just a skin color. As for my issue with cartoons, I can't even believe we've gotten to the point where someone would do that so I'd get pissed. They're cartoons for f@ck's sake. Children who love them are usually too young to understand the social message and those old enough to understand can put it into context. I mean if you really wanna get offended by a mainstream cartoon character, who not Speedy Gonzalez's friend (who's name I can't remember) who was always lazy and drunk and falling asleep under trees? Or Tequila the Vulture (yes, that was really his name) because, in my opinion, he's supposed to be retarded.

Couldn't agree more with what's been said in this thread. The way I see it, its only going to get worse in the near future.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:38 PM   #7
AzCivic

I'd want to be reminded of just how ignorant america was back in the day just about as much as germans want to be reminded that thier family members were tortured and slaughtered.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:40 PM   #8
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Once again you've missed the point Az. It's not about being reminded. There's something almost surreal about historical things...whether they're from the 40s or 50s or from 1400. It's the fact that they often reflect a certain line of thought at a certain point in time. Why change them because they don't fit the times we live in now just to make a small group of people feel better? For instance....I can't stand impressionist paintings...does that mean they should let me go around and change those paintings to better suit my interest?When our parents were younger and these cartoons were new that's just the way things were. Was it perfect? No. Is it relevent social commentary today? Absolutely. It's funny...not only do Germans refrain from showing swastikas on any historical pieces, but they also treat the word like a swear word. The work "swastika" there means nothing. They know it as a hakenkreuz....german for "hooked cross". Mention that around some Germans and watch them become very uncomfortable. And why? Because of something that happened 60 years ago and we can't go back and change it so we should just forget about it, right? What a brilliant way to look at the world.

Old 02-01-2004, 03:55 PM   #9
AzCivic

no i think you just dont think very much about what you say.

nothings being forgotten, people just dont want a daily reminder of the stupid shit from the past, so why do you keep saying everything is just gonna dissappear? last i checked there were plenty of documentaries, books, movies about the past.

Last edited by AzCivic : 02-01-2004 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:22 PM   #10
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
no i think you just dont think very much about what you say.

Wow...talk about the pot and the f@cking kettle.

Quote:
nothings being forgotten, people just dont want a daily reminder of the stupid shit from the past, so why do you keep saying everything is just gonna dissappear? last i checked there were plenty of documentaries, books, movies about the past.

Again, you've missed the mark. These aren't reminders, they're social commentary...ideas presented in a round-about way to shed light on the state of society at the time. As thinly veiled as it may be, these things give us insights into the way of thought from years past. I can't imagine what it must have been like to live in a pre-civil rights movement America...but with these pieces of film and whatnot I can get a little bit better understanding. Books and documentaries don't have that effect. They're cut and dry...I don't like things so black and white. Besides, things like cartoons are more satirical. Some of them are just making fun of the very things they're stereotyping. The reason that nothing's been forgotten is that some of us want to remember...not just block out what suits us because maybe it doesn't fit into what you or I think is appropriate. And just because you regard certain events as "stupid shit" doesn't mean it's something to be ashamed of. If you yourself didn't partake in it, you've got nothing to worry about. As for people who ARE offended by these things...maybe it's time for them to get some thicker skin because in remembering they'll have to deal with what's happened and the fact that they'll never be able to change it so why worry about it?

Old 02-01-2004, 04:42 PM   #11
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED

And just because you regard certain events as "stupid shit" doesn't mean it's something to be ashamed of. If you yourself didn't partake in it, you've got nothing to worry about.

here's your problem right there. i for one am ashamed of racism and genocide, but thats just me i guess.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:52 PM   #12
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Are you a racist or have you ever partaken in genocide? If not then you yourself have nothing to be ashamed of. One can only be ashamed of their own actions...not the actions of others unless it directly involves you. You can be mournful of those events...but unless you're a racist or a genocidal freak, you're in the clear.

Old 02-01-2004, 07:37 PM   #13
mylittlecivic

my boyfriend is half black but he doesn't get offended at alot of things he jokes around alot too

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:55 PM   #14
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by mylittlecivic
my boyfriend is half black but he doesn't get offended at alot of things he jokes around alot too

I think a sense of humor is a big part of it with cartoons. A lot of people who've been dubbed minorities are just as willing to take jokes about themselves (so long as they're not intended to be hurtful) as they are to throw them back at people. If you can't laugh at yourself first then you have no right to laugh at anyone else.

Old 02-02-2004, 10:04 AM   #15
V8killimports

Sorry AzCivic but you are missing the point. If they don't want offensive cartoons then fine.. but if they are going to have black clubs and black bride day/month, then I am sure as shit gonna have my ******* cartoon.

And as for painting over the swastikas... it shouldn't be allowed.. Forgetting what happened is the worse thing that could ever happen. You don't remember it to shame the germans.. why would they be shamed? It was before most of their time. Why should I feel ashamed of what white people did to native americans 100s of years ago, or slavery in this country. Wasn't me.. it was sad, and I would do whatever needed to make that not happen again, but I don't feel ashamed. But forgetting would allow it to happen again. Never forget.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:21 AM   #16
SolPol

GT,

I am right there with you again. You have crystallized my thoughts quite well again and I appreciate it. I feel a lot the same way but could never put it into words as well as you have.

If any of you have ever heard of some radio guys named Opie and Anthony they used to talk about this.

WB took all the old Bugs Bunny cartoons and changed some and permanently shelved some others. If there was too much "offensive" material you will now never get to see those cartoons again.

Remember the ones where Bugs made light of Asians? Buck teeth and talking all funny? These were made during WWII as propaganda against our Japanese friends. They were shelved about three years ago and are never aired.

In regards to swastikas, IIRC, they are actually illegal in Germany (and much of the rest of the world if I'm not mistaken.) Funnily, when depicted in movies, the swastika itself is often reverse from what it actually was during Hitler's reign. Now if you want to make them illegal now I guess that's fine, but you should be able to leave them on historical objects.

And since I speak of Hitler, little known fact: His mother was Jewish. A lot of you probably know that, but many don't.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:23 AM   #17
V8killimports

The swastika is actually a mirror image of an indian symbol that "goes with nature" meaning the swastika went against nature?
Old 02-03-2004, 04:01 AM   #18
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by SolPol
GT,

I am right there with you again. You have crystallized my thoughts quite well again and I appreciate it. I feel a lot the same way but could never put it into words as well as you have.

If any of you have ever heard of some radio guys named Opie and Anthony they used to talk about this.

WB took all the old Bugs Bunny cartoons and changed some and permanently shelved some others. If there was too much "offensive" material you will now never get to see those cartoons again.

Remember the ones where Bugs made light of Asians? Buck teeth and talking all funny? These were made during WWII as propaganda against our Japanese friends. They were shelved about three years ago and are never aired.

In regards to swastikas, IIRC, they are actually illegal in Germany (and much of the rest of the world if I'm not mistaken.) Funnily, when depicted in movies, the swastika itself is often reverse from what it actually was during Hitler's reign. Now if you want to make them illegal now I guess that's fine, but you should be able to leave them on historical objects.

And since I speak of Hitler, little known fact: His mother was Jewish. A lot of you probably know that, but many don't.

Thanks Sol Pol...I always aim to please. Yeah...there are a lot WB cartoons that have been modified or had an outright ban. A lot of the "black face" cartoons have had those scenes deleted as well as the WWII-era japenese propaganda stuff. As for the swastika, I'm not sure it's illegal in Germany...it's just very taboo. I know I saw some when I was there...just not many, especially where they should've been from a historical standpoint. As for Hitler...I believe it was his grandmother that was actually Jewish...not his mother.

And Armyguy...the swastika is actually a buddhist good luck charm. Girl scouts wore them in their early days (there's even a picture out there of Jackie O wearing one on her girl scout uniform) and Coca Cola made watch bands out of them in the '20s. If you look back even further, a lot of mythological depictions of Thor's hammer resemble a swastika since it was supposed to have a boomerang effect. It's just a symbol of circular motion that the Nazi's (or rather the Germany nationalist party) perverted to suit their own well being. So to that effect...screw the Nazis.

Old 02-05-2004, 01:43 PM   #19
spoogenet

The funniest part is that I remember reading an article when it was announced that Speedy Gonzales was going the way of the dodo and a bunch of hispanics were pissed because they love Speedy.

"Speedy knows everybody's seester!"

It's the same as how they redid ET and replaced all the guns with walkie talkies. C'mon now, that's an American classic.

I agree with V8killimports....never forget. History does have a tendency to repeat itself, especially when people forget. You cannot change the past. You may not need to be proud of it, but you must remember it for what it was and learn from it. Trying to cover up the past is no better than lying about it.

Just as you may erect a statue to remind you of the heroism of an individual, you must keep reminders of the dark hours of history just the same. One statue may remind you to help others, while the other may remind you not to go gassing people. Each serves a purpose for the greater good.

However people are generally stupid and easily offended by things. People think that by forgetting the past they will brighten the future somehow, or at least clear their conscience. Not to mention people only remember the parts of history they want to remember. How many blacks in America remember their African "brothers" selling them to the Europeans? How many of them remember that slavery is still in effect in parts of Africa, blacks enslaving blacks? How many anti-immigrationists remember that all Europeans are immigrants to America? It sure seams like not many do....people like to remember the good things, or the things that work to their favor. Double standards are pretty common practice, everybody likes to view themselves in the brightest light and take advantage of things to benefit themselves first and foremost.

b
Old 02-05-2004, 02:35 PM   #20
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

hiding and lying about these things will only make them happen again. its old stuff, let it be, and let everyone learn from it.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote