Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2003, 02:36 AM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Excercise vs. sex

I just had this revelation (as per usual...after a few beers). While watching TV I came across this excercise commercial that commented on why people wouldn't excercise and the main reason was that they were afraid they were doing it wrong. That made me start thinking (I know...amazing, huh?)...if most people were not confident that they were having sex properly...they'd stop in fear of ridicule. Yet people will continue to excercise totally oblivious as to whether they're doing it right or not. Now, excercise can extend your life span and boost your energy. Sex, while it is a mild form of excercise, does virtually nothing for you health-wise. So how pathetically sad are we as a culture that we rarely excercise (and in doing so may do so incorrectly) though it may extend our lives, but will stop at nothing to have sex and are so horribly self concious as to whether or not we're doing the slightest thing right. Am I wrong or is the human race just pathetic?
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 03:28 AM   #2
accord98lx

whoa...people not exercising because the fear of doing it wrong? I find that VERY hard to believe as the MAIN reason. I was thinking something like......laziness is the main reason.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:17 AM   #3
spoogenet

Sex has a lot more to do with health than you give it credit for.

It lowers stress levels. Lower stress is related to longer lifespans.

It is exercise, as you mentioned.

It is fun, which promotes mental health.

In a good relationship it promotes emotional health.

And the morning after has a significantly higher risk of heart attacks for men.

It's significant.

I would agree with accord98lx.....I would suspect laziness as the main reason. It was a commercial, they're trying to sell you something. A sales pitch like "most people think they do it wrong, we'll show you how to do it right" just may motivate that lazy and gullible person to get off the couch and do a little exercise. A commercial like "most people are lazy because they're watching our commercial and not buying our products, give us money to stop watching the tv!" won't motivate anybody. They're basically saying you're like everyone else and you just didn't know it, because of course they just made it all up....and telling you your problem is easy to fix, just let them show you. Or maybe I'm a little too cynical?

b
Old 11-17-2003, 06:56 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Re: Excercise vs. sex

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
I just had this revelation (as per usual...after a few beers). While watching TV I came across this excercise commercial that commented on why people wouldn't excercise and the main reason was that they were afraid they were doing it wrong. That made me start thinking (I know...amazing, huh?)...if most people were not confident that they were having sex properly...they'd stop in fear of ridicule. Yet people will continue to excercise totally oblivious as to whether they're doing it right or not. Now, excercise can extend your life span and boost your energy. Sex, while it is a mild form of excercise, does virtually nothing for you health-wise. So how pathetically sad are we as a culture that we rarely excercise (and in doing so may do so incorrectly) though it may extend our lives, but will stop at nothing to have sex and are so horribly self concious as to whether or not we're doing the slightest thing right. Am I wrong or is the human race just pathetic?

yeas but sex is one of the primal instincts while exercise is not. maybe we got lazy later because of all our comodities: cars, tv, computers etc.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 11:32 AM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

some say that humans have no insticts...and that everything is learned, even sex. then there are those that say we have instincts just like all animals. I take no stance on that.

But I will firmly disagree that people are afraid of doing exercises wrong so they dont do them... How can you do them wrong without doing something right? Hell Ive done some pretty strange exercises myself, and I know that many of them arent "right". But they work so I do them. Maybe its just that I have knowledge of the body...but come on...thats bs. If we believe that we are sad indeed.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 11:48 AM   #6
DsBlu01CivEX

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
Or maybe I'm a little too cynical?

nah I don't think that you're too cynical...I was thinking the exact same thing that you were. But maybe that just means I'm cynical too though

But "they" say that sex is one of the things that you can do that burns a lot of calories. So it is good for you if you're looking at it in the "exercise" frame of mind.

http://www.myspace.com/kenike
DsBlu01CivEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 12:09 PM   #7
spoogenet

If it's on TV it's gotta be true!

The need for exercise for the general population is a relatively new problem facing society. Work is becoming paradoxically increasingly less exercise intensive. (c)

As manual labor jobs are replaced with mechanical systems and people move to the office or unemployment line instead, the need for exercise goes up. Regardless of how one may feel about human instinct, exercise is definitely not something I would consider instinctual for any animal. It's only because we live in an unnatural world we must do such unnatural things as exercise.

b
Old 11-18-2003, 02:34 AM   #8
slowEJ6

i do both........go LONG LIFESPAN!
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 11:32 PM   #9
Shot 2 Hel

^^^ lol