Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2003, 02:00 AM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

No offense, BUT....

Ok...thisis definitely not PC, so if you're easily offended turn your ass around. I've recently moved into a new place near school and I live a few doors down from a large household of hispanics (I won't even pretend to know where they're from). Now, before starting this let me state that for those of you who don't know, I was born with a birth defect that made my arms a little shorter than most peoples. Yes, I can still do everyday shit and can do anything you can do better. That said...these bastards that live down the way seem to make a sport of starring at me. I could be going to get mail and they gawk. I'm used to it while doing things like driving or if they're little kids, but this is ridiculous. And this isn't a first. Ever since I can remember I get stares prodominantly from minority groups (mostly hispanics and blacks). So what the hell is up with that? I honestly want someone to explain this one to me. Is it a cultural thing? Do they not teach their kids any god damn manors? Now I'm not trying to come off as being racist by ANY means, but this isn't just my opinion...I've noticed it for at least 15 years. It seems especially bad with hispanic males...I feel like they should be buying a f@cking ticket. So please, if anyone can explain this, perhaps it will help with my rage and keep me from kicking the living shit out of these guys if they keep eyeballing me every time I leave the house.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 02:39 AM   #2
acclude

well how much shorter are your arms? and how do you notice people staring and gawking? are you sure you're not just looking at the mexicans and blacks? maybe you should introduce yourself or ignore them cause it kinda seems that you're insecure about your defects and want to take it out on mexicans and blacks.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:53 AM   #3
Wren57

acclude you missed his point by a few miles... I personally can't speak for anybody but myself, but I know that it isn't polite to stare, in fact its plain rude. There is no reason to gawk at anyone cause of a deformity, it is just plain stupid. Why can people not accept that some other people look different? I would think minorities in particular, the people who want equality through inequality (NAACP, affirmitive action, etc) would give you a break for being different, but it is the opposite... irony... I would suggest you just ignore them, cause if they are ignorant enough to stare in the first place then they will just be ignorant if you confront them...
Old 09-12-2003, 04:32 AM   #4
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by acclude
well how much shorter are your arms? and how do you notice people staring and gawking? are you sure you're not just looking at the mexicans and blacks? maybe you should introduce yourself or ignore them cause it kinda seems that you're insecure about your defects and want to take it out on mexicans and blacks.

It's quite the opposite. I'm totally secure with it. I just have problems with others who aren't. No, I'm not singling out blacks and hispanics. Trust me, I'll be the first one to make a joke at my own expense. It just bothers me whenpeople look at me like damaged goods. As far as how short my arms are...I'd say about half the "normal" length. As far as introducing myself to them...f@ck 'em. I don't associate myself with ignorant people.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 09-12-2003, 08:49 AM   #5
BlackWolf
La Loba Loca

I agree, staring is very rude. When you catch anyone staring, you should just smile and wave to bring it to their attention that they are staring but if they still don't get it, then I would suggest blowing them a kiss. And you're right, you are better off NOT knowing them. Stupid people give me a headache.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:17 AM   #6
spoogenet

I have a feeling it's more of a cultural thing, but I'm not sure. I have noticed that many Hispanics, and East and Central Asians have much more of a propensity for staring than the average white person. I don't have any reason to suspect they're staring at ME for any particular reason, I think they'll just stare at anybody who's walking by. But, I notice that it seems much more predominant in the immigrants rather than 1st or later generation American-born or mostly American-raised folks.....which is what makes me think it's more of a cultural thing. Perhaps it's not rude to stare in India or China or any other list of countries, but it is considered rude here.

I wouldn't even expect them to know because it's not like people actually SAY anything to you when you stare......so they'll never learn unless someone says something to them. The children will learn if they go to school here at younger ages, kids are brutal and will quickly point out any problem you have that they don't like, but adults are more censored. And the kids won't even notice their parents staring, so it's not like the kids will teach their parents that American custom.

b
Old 09-12-2003, 09:32 AM   #7
SphynX

Ask them if they have there green card
Old 09-12-2003, 11:52 AM   #8
sc0rch

I kinda know the feeling man..i have pierecings that apparently maxicans and asians have never seen b4...because they always seem to stare at mee too...plus i work for and around alot of japaneese but i dont just let people stare at me i tend to be an ass and either bark at them or yell "WHAAAAAAAAT" really loud

next time they stare at you yell in your meanest voice "WHAAAAAAT" and i bet they turn away....or you can go beat them with sticks...your choice....
Old 09-12-2003, 12:31 PM   #9
guywithastang

People that say violence solves nothing lie. Beat them like they owe you money

You say VTEC, I say V-8
guywithastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 01:40 PM   #10
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by sc0rch
next time they stare at you yell in your meanest voice "WHAAAAAAT" and i bet they turn away....or you can go beat them with sticks...your choice....

Actaully about 2 weeks after we moved in there were three of them out on their front porch at about 5am. I went out for a smoke and had a letter to drop in the mailbox which happens to be right in front of their house. So they eyeball f@ck me the whole way there and about half way back I turned around and shouted "Oh yeah...like I'M the freak!". To be honest I think it was all wasted because (racial jokes aside), I don't think they speak english.

Old 09-12-2003, 03:47 PM   #11
thermal
Banning Machine

Fuk em bro. I really dont think it's cultural. It's the way individual persons are brought up.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 04:19 PM   #12
pimpinprelude

no i have noticed that, thay can be veery rude.. and the white people arond me notice it also..so i am verry tall.. i am 6.1, and im only 16.. so i get a lot a stares.. but hey its not like thay can laugh or anything.....:o oo r yea ill look down on them or something..lol haha get it?? heh.... ok sorry.....
pimpinprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 11:03 PM   #13
Daviso27
3rd Gear

Maybe this could help you out.

I feel for you...Speaking as a hispanic, I have been raised to look at people in their eyes to get a response. I have similar problem...Me and the wifey live in a townhouse community that is white majority. More like we are the only non-white family in the entire community...NO SH!T...They refer to me as the "Puerto Rican Kid" I stare at these bastards until they have no other option but to say "hey" or "hi".
Daviso27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 12:17 PM   #14
nonovurbizniz

Quote:
Originally posted by highlander
acclude you missed his point by a few miles... I personally can't speak for anybody but myself, but I know that it isn't polite to stare, in fact its plain rude. There is no reason to gawk at anyone cause of a deformity, it is just plain stupid. Why can people not accept that some other people look different? I would think minorities in particular, the people who want equality through inequality (NAACP, affirmitive action, etc) would give you a break for being different, but it is the opposite... irony... I would suggest you just ignore them, cause if they are ignorant enough to stare in the first place then they will just be ignorant if you confront them...

Dude.. you are SOOOO the poster child for the "young republicans".

The ignorant typical "right wing" B.S. that comes out of your mouth is funny.

A. I think in general not staring is a TOTALLY western phenominon(sp)...
B. Most hispanics and blacks (especially those who hangout outside of their houses) stare at EVERYTHING... and generally make insensitive jokes and what not... BECAUSE they're subject to it, be it silent or spoken hispanics and blacks catch shitty looks ALL the time... so they feel MORE comfortable dishing it out themselves.
C. Most non-whites are mystified over little crap that they've not seen before.. (white people are too they're just too scared of being caught staring to stare.)

People especially low income people are not too concerned with other people feelings and most times I don't think it's meant to insult or offend...

I've gotten TONS of dirty looks/stares from rich white people when I look like a scumbag in their town...

I used to work a gas stations and I've got LOTS of stories about people looking down on you or staring at you regardless of birth deffects...

My best suggestion would be to not get angry about it...

If they stare just start waving your arms around and be like
"WOW... omg something different..."

or
again while waving arms
" esta paquito.... esta problema para tu???"
"they're small.... is that a problem for you??"

Or something like that (I only speak kitchen spanish).

I'm sure they're decent dudes but when people don't comunicate or there's tension in a relationship (no matter how non-existant the relationship is) it's only going to escalate by allowing time to pass... they'll feel more comfortable not talking to you and staring and you'll get madder and madder till you do something that may turn it into something it never was.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:29 PM   #15
acclude

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz

The ignorant typical "right wing" B.S. that comes out of your mouth is funny.

A. I think in general not staring is a TOTALLY western phenominon(sp)...
B. Most hispanics and blacks (especially those who hangout outside of their houses) stare at EVERYTHING... and generally make insensitive jokes and what not... BECAUSE they're subject to it, be it silent or spoken hispanics and blacks catch shitty looks ALL the time... so they feel MORE comfortable dishing it out themselves.
C. Most non-whites are mystified over little crap that they've not seen before.. (white people are too they're just too scared of being caught staring to stare.)

People especially low income people are not too concerned with other people feelings and most times I don't think it's meant to insult or offend...

I've gotten TONS of dirty looks/stares from rich white people when I look like a scumbag in their town...

I used to work a gas stations and I've got LOTS of stories about people looking down on you or staring at you regardless of birth deffects...

My best suggestion would be to not get angry about it...

If they stare just start waving your arms around and be like
"WOW... omg something different..."

or
again while waving arms
" esta paquito.... esta problema para tu???"
"they're small.... is that a problem for you??"

Or something like that (I only speak kitchen spanish).

I'm sure they're decent dudes but when people don't comunicate or there's tension in a relationship (no matter how non-existant the relationship is) it's only going to escalate by allowing time to pass... they'll feel more comfortable not talking to you and staring and you'll get madder and madder till you do something that may turn it into something it never was.

well put... i totally agree.

or..

GT40FIED cause just run over there and talk some shit and get beat down...
Old 09-13-2003, 04:34 PM   #16
Wren57

Quote:

thanks

ever heard the quote, "if you are republican before age 30, you have no heart; if you aren't republican after age 30, you have no brain"

I'm just ahead of the learning curve
Old 09-13-2003, 06:50 PM   #17
CD5Passion

as a busboy in a japanese steak house I work around a lot of hispanics and asians. Alot of the time they have this predisposition of thinking they are better than anyone, I'm speaking more for the asian side because they talk alot of sh1t and can't mind their own business. I've never really had a problem with hispanics, I befriend alot. I say that you go to them and just talk to them, say hey, do something, let them know you don't appreciate them staring, who knows maybe you could make friends then kick their a$$'s whenever you want
Old 09-14-2003, 01:38 AM   #18
nonovurbizniz

I can't say that I have....

I've never met anyone who's a republican who says ANYTHING that sounds remotely thought out... it just is all little quipy boy's club kind of b.s....

Not trying to offend you or anything but being brainwashed by rich parents isn't exactly what I'd call being "ahead of the curve"...

Most republicans just THINK that that's the party that will benifit them most...

Reagan/bush sr spend spend spend for 12 years and clinton comes into office and raises taxes (to balance the budget) NOT 2 YEARS after clintons out... we're in a HUGE deficit....

Yeah the democrats are the "big spending" gov. program party...
And they do NOTHING BUT RAISE TAXES....

RIGGGHHHHHHT.

Maybe to pay off all the debt rep. send us spiraling into due to back-door deals and "you scratch my back" b.s....

Not to mention the whole conquer the world thing republicans have going... that's working out well... emperialism is SUCH an achievable and intelligent Gov. policy...

We're not headed for doom as long as the right runs things... NOoooo.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:30 AM   #19
Wren57

Quote:
I can't say that I have....

I've never met anyone who's a republican who says ANYTHING that sounds remotely thought out... it just is all little quipy boy's club kind of b.s....
you must not get out much, or maybe you just don't listen well...
Quote:

Not trying to offend you or anything but being brainwashed by rich parents isn't exactly what I'd call being "ahead of the curve"...
gotta throw in that they are rich, so?
Quote:

Most republicans just THINK that that's the party that will benifit them most...
hmm, the top 10% pay 90% of the taxes, that sound right to you?
Quote:

Reagan/bush sr spend spend spend for 12 years and clinton comes into office and raises taxes (to balance the budget) NOT 2 YEARS after clintons out... we're in a HUGE deficit....
I guess you didn't pay attention to 9/11... wars aren't free buddy, and neither is your freedom. not to even mention that presidents take years to have an effect on the economy, and the very first fiscal quarter that bush was in office was a recession... you think he had that much effect in a few weeks?
Quote:

Yeah the democrats are the "big spending" gov. program party...
And they do NOTHING BUT RAISE TAXES....
or they can just cut all military/intel funding and leave us vunerable
Quote:

RIGGGHHHHHHT.

Maybe to pay off all the debt rep. send us spiraling into due to back-door deals and "you scratch my back" b.s....
good speculation there- where do you get your info? the liberal press?
Quote:

Not to mention the whole conquer the world thing republicans have going... that's working out well... emperialism is SUCH an achievable and intelligent Gov. policy...
Where have we emperialized? Survery says... nowhere
Quote:

We're not headed for doom as long as the right runs things... NOoooo.
more speculation, good job there geraldo
Quote:

Last edited by Wren57 : 09-14-2003 at 04:34 AM.
Wren57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 07:52 PM   #20
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Hmmmm....a good political debate but totally OT.

UPDATE: So apparently I'm not the only one in this complex that notices this. A friend that lives across the way from me (he's in the auto tech program too) almost got into it with two of them (and believe me, he could've taken them both). They were eyeballing us while we were working on his Mustang and finally he grabbed his breaker bar and walked over with (of all people) me trying to hold him back. He yells "I'm sick of you dumb ass MF'ers starring at me and my F'ing friend. I catch you so much as looking in my or his direction again and it's gonna be your ass." They both walked back inside so hopefully they got the message. Apparently, he told me, they stare at him and his roommate Kyle all the time as well...just not to the extent that they do with me. Bunch of bastards...cultural or not, once you're in another country it's time to learn their customs.

Old 09-14-2003, 11:44 PM   #21
nonovurbizniz

Quote:
Originally posted by highlander
you must not get out much, or maybe you just don't listen well...
Actually I talk almost exclusively with republicans and I'm a VERY good listener... also VERY logical... that's the problem...

Republicans are republicans because they're greedy... Like you pointed out... they do NOTHING but whine about the fact that they pay a lot in taxes.... While I agree to an extent... It's called a PERCENTAGE... you make more you pay more... and people who make less can afford to pay LESS... So suck it up and make more money.... that's what gets you guys off anyway.

Quote:
gotta throw in that they are rich, so?
[\quote]
Again... Actually it was merely pointing out that not many "ahead of the curve"r's like you don't come from poverty or even from a world that could grasp what it's like to be subjigated from birth due to economic in-equality... (yes you bet your tit's I'm a commi)
[quote[
hmm, the top 10% pay 90% of the taxes, that sound right to you?
I think the tax system as it stands sucks... the fact that bill gates and my father are in the same tax bracket is rediculous... There should be like 5 more tax brackets then there are now... Not to mention the fact that income tax is the biggest gift you could ever give illegal business/criminals.

HOWEVER the fact that the top 3% has like 90% of the money it makes sense that they're paying 90% of the taxes...

Quote:
I guess you didn't pay attention to 9/11... wars aren't free buddy, and neither is your freedom. not to even mention that presidents take years to have an effect on the economy, and the very first fiscal quarter that bush was in office was a recession... you think he had that much effect in a few weeks?
Yeah... I didn't pay attention... I could see it from my office building... but I didn't pay attention... Iraq had NOTHING to do with 9/11... if YOU were paying attention you would have noticed that even the bush camp said that after what I'm sure was a VERY serious attempt to make a link...

As far as presidents taking years to have an affect on the economy... that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard... there is some truth to it... but the economy is a pretty by the minute thing... bad news or even the fear of bad news can lead to SERIOUS drops in the stock market... and consumer confidence is at major risk when our president walks around like an angry talking chimp... starting wars with ANYONE that looks at him funny. Not to mention the fact that he's a complete bafoon. and doesn't have ANY idea what he's reading half the time.

Quote:
or they can just cut all military/intel funding and leave us vunerable good speculation there- where do you get your info? the liberal press?

Dude you are SOO typical...

A. Clinton spent TONS on the military... in the words of SEVERAL military lifers' I've met...
"Actually clinton keeps us MUCH busier than bush or reagan ever did"
B. GORE wanted to invest in the next gen. of military equip... BUSH did NOT And WILL NOT.
C. The "liberal press" doesn't exist... other than random b.s. mags that you have to special order and can't be found ANYWHERE... the press is VERY diverse... there are NO overtly liberal stations... there is at LEAST one VERY biased "rightwing" station...
D. Cutting spending on cia/fbi/nsa who are litterally running around doing NOTHING other than spending money and cashing paychecks... without EVER doing anything significant EVER... in order to EDUCATE the population or clean up the domestic MESS that the republicans left behind...

Quote:
Where have we emperialized? Survery says... nowhere
Uh... have you ever heard of PANAMA???? of course not...

Empiralism doesn't need to be overt... if you don't think that we are DIRECTLY responsible for EVERY single countries current affairs in the middle east you're WAY more un-educated then I EVER could have imagined...

Iraq: WE supported saddam and PUT him in power..
Iran: Again by supporting saddam we facilitated the current gov. to come to pass.
Saudi Arabi: We support a HORRIFIC gov. there... As long as they pump out the black gold we don't care WHAT they do... including creating an environment that encourages anti-americanism in order to divert the populous' anger towards their OWN gov... (which again WE support and help to stay in power)... not to mention being the birth country of 19 of the hijackers.
Egypt: Well england is outwardly responsible for that mess... we had a lot to do with it to though.
Isreal: THE ONLY REASON IT EXISTS IS REPUBLICANS DIDN'T WANT ALL THE DISPLACED JEWS FROM WWII TO COME HERE.... THANKS GUYS! that hasn't caused ANY problems...

I could keep going but I'm tired.

Quote:
more speculation, good job there geraldo

... Gee what did I say in my other post.... oh yeah...

I'm geraldo like you know what you're talking about...

I really didn't start this to be a fight or to personally attack you... but you serisouly are the epidemy of what's wrong with the world... The upper class doing everything they can to stay on top while not letting anyone else get ahead.

You might as well move to india and start loaning the underclass money for buriels then make them work it off rolling bindi's... I'm sure you'd make GREAT money... which seems to be what you care about.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:48 PM   #22
Daviso27
3rd Gear

Maybe they run a drug spot and are just looking out for cops...I really dont think its you birthdefect, but maybe it is what do i know! Why dont you post some pics of your short arms and I can give you my opinion.
Daviso27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 01:06 PM   #23
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Ya know it's probably just how they were raised. I don't necessairly think it's racist how you think, you obviously have had problems with them. I know exactly how you feel, trust me. I've had many many surgeries, and I can't stand when people stare at me. I won't take my shirt off in public actually because people stare. I'm not insecure about my scars, I actually like them, I feel that they make me the person I am, and I'm a unique person. And I have stories to tell. And it's not like I'm super deformed or anything, I just have some surface scars, other then that i'm decently built. But yeah. **** 'em. I know how you feel bro, and I hate that people can't just leave people alone.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 04:21 PM   #24
nonovurbizniz

It's a LOT of south-american/latinos...

I was just getting a hot dog today at some roadside stand and like 3 hispanic dudes are all co-chillen by their maroon caravan with yellow flames and wipers...

And they were ALL eye f'ing me... I just stare back till they get un-comfortable and stop looking... LOTS won't EVER stop looking back... it's not worth getting in a confrontation imo...