.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2003, 09:29 PM   #1
Civickid0to60

Exclamation Cops really DO have a ricer detector!

OK, cops suck. Now that that' outta the way I just wanna say that cops do have a ricer detector. And they hate kids who do shit to their cars.

Proof:

These are all true stories.

Story #1:

My friend Brian has a Mercury Cougar with turbo and a bodykit thats not painted yet but its on his car. Well we installed a DVD screen that mounts on the roof between his sun visors. Well, he was so excited that after we installed it he just went out in it and played PS2 for a long ass time. Well, his neighbor, walks by and is staring at him. Well, that night Brian and me went crusing in my car. His dad and mom were at home with all the lights on, and his dad walked outside to smoke when he saw a guy jiggling with the car handle then walk to the back of the car and throw a huge rock he had next to the passenger side rear tire into the rear windsheild. His dad chased after him and lost him in the woods, but he caught a glimpse of the guy and they knew who he was. Well, when the cops came and Brian got there, they started bitching at him for having the DVD screen betweent he sun visors, and acted like they didnt give a shit about his window. Started saying to take his exhaust off, and to get rid of the screen. Didn't help him at all!

Story #2

I got pulled over by a state trooper for my exhaust. I showed him that it was not illegal by showing him the law that I have printed out, and in general made him look like an ass. So I told him to please report my tag and to tell the other patrolling officers to leave me alone because I know the law about it, and it would be a waste of their time. Well, he stormed off, and I saw him get on the radio and speed away. Well, I turn off the highway and get pulled over by 3 state troopers at once! As if I had a gun or something! He musta told his friends on me what a *****. Well, I gotta outta that too! Cause they can't change the law!

I hate po po's. Anyone else have any stories?
Old 08-17-2003, 09:44 PM   #2
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

it isnt illegal to have a tv screen in view of the driver, but it IS illegal to use it while driving

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:
Anonymous: Yea but a car has 4 heads, so it's headers!

Me: Or.. you could say that a car has one head...
TonitrusEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:47 PM   #3
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

whats the exactl law ?
Old 08-17-2003, 10:03 PM   #4
nonovurbizniz

alright this is long and to the direct opposite of what you're saying...

I have nothing but good luck with cops... just about... (oh and fyi if that story you told is true about getting pulled over directly afterwards you have a GOOD harrasment case against them... I'd talk to a lawyer if I were you).

Oh and there are cliffs notes after every story.... and it's long... a similar Q was asked over at h-t so I just typed this up:

We'll start with funny bad luck stories...

1. I am "shit-break" from that movie... I will (would when I was there) NOT crap in school... one day I got a, lift your head up... OMG... I'm gunna poo, feeling in my gut... I RUN to the nurses office call my mom at work and get a note from the nurse to go home... (it was last period but leaving campus was prohibited for freshmen..(yes I was an old freshmen... screw you)). So I'm RACING home... I'm on my road about 1/2 mile from my house...

Cop pulls out... I pull off on a side road he pulls up and comes to the window...
Cop-"any reason you're speeding?"
Me-"uh... to be honest I just left school because I feel like my colon is going to explode in my pants.."
Cop-"Ok... You want to get out of the car please.?"
I get out...
Cop-"Wait here while I write you your ticket."

I won't go into the rest but he took his sweet time... big long bit about safety and being in control of a lethal weapong etc etc etc... I literally felt like I was going to shit in my pants...

I ended up getting to know the guy pretty well and gave him hell about that ALL the time... I assured him he had reserved his space in hell for that...

**CLIFFS NOTES**
Had to poo... got pulled over... he made me sit there about to poo for about 20 mins...
**/CLIFFS NOTES**

2. There is this AWFUL road in my town that looks like it was never finished (it wasn't... it's always been as bad there are HUGE potholes all uneven and it's uphill).. I have found the PERFECT line through it so you can RIP over the hill... I used to scare the piss out of people in the pass. seat... I had my buddy in the car and I TORE up the hill... come up over the top and get air (oops) all four wheels are off the ground when I see a COP sitting RIGHT THERE... I didn't even bother... I just pulled over in front of him... he never even started his car...

**CLIFFS NOTES**
Going fast over VERY bad road/hill... Got air off the top and low and behold there's a cop RIGHT there doing radar...oops
**/CLIFFS NOTES**

Ok on to the GOOD STUFF...

I have some kind of guardian angel when it comes to cops... I have NO idea what it is but I get off for REDICULOUS stuff... I'll start slow and move up...

1g. There's a resivour in my home town that has a road going through the middle of it and a little rocky island/jetty that goes out from that road... it's a GREAT place for highschooler's to put the high.. in highschool... It was night time and I'm out there with my GF at the time... we're smoking out of a MT. Dew bottle rigged into a Bong...

This is kind of hard to explain but basically... I was in the middle of smoking when a GIANT spot light comes on... I don't know why but my first reaction was to look away from it towards the tree line... where I saw the PERFECT outline of me sitting indian style holding what looks to be pretty obviously a bong in my hand (think shadow puppet) against the trees...

PA echos across the resivour...

"PLEASE COME OFF THE ISLAND AND APPROACH THE VEHICLE"

I'm trying to stay calm... GF is TOTALLY freaking out... I keep telling her to be quite... we ditch whatever we had in the woods walking back towards the road...

We're walking towards the car and it's got the flood light right on us and the high beams on... Now I'm shitting too.... We get to like 15ft. away from the car ...

From the PA again..

"STOP"....

then a semi-familar voice...

Cop-"Yooouu dickhead"..

Me-"Jack?"

I worked full time with his nephew when I was 16 so he liked me... (he was THE hard-ass dick of a cop in our town... his nickname was "van-deuschbag"... I always like him.)

Long story short... he probobly thought we were doing it and told us we could go back out there if we wanted... he'd be on that route till 2.

**CLIFFS NOTES**
Me and GF are getting high on a little island off of a road on a resivour... cop turns on the flood light I see my shadow holding what seems obvious to me to be a bong... approach the car... it's a cop I know he (I assume) didn't see it and thought I was doing my gf outthere... told us we could go back out there and that he'd be on that route till 2.
**/CLIFFS NOTES**

2g. I walk into the convenience store that was next to the station I worked at at the time... Friend of mine was working.
Friend-"hey mike how ya doing?"
Me-"OMG I'm SOOO stoned"

I go and grab a Mt. Dew (heheh themes are developing here)... and walk up to the counter... she looks like she's about to laugh her ass off at me...

I hear...

"hey mike... how ya doin?" in a VERY sarcastic voice...

I look over and it's the same cop from above story...

I'm soo high I forgot what I just said to casey (friend) so I'm all normal.... like

"Hey jack, I'm good how you doin?"

he's just smiling and laughing... It was weird though because EVERYONE who knew him (not many people) thought that was something he just would NOT let slide... He's was considered a hardass by the other cops... So he either REALLY liked me or he just has TERRIBLE ability to notice the obvious.

**CLIFFS NOTES**
I go into store where friend works... she asks how I am... I say HIGH.. go to pay.. same cop from above story is leaning on the cooler (obstructed from entering view)... he then asks how I am... I'm so high I forgot what I said... act normal he lets it slide... NOT typical at all...
**/CLIFFS NOTES**

NOW ONTO THE BIG TIME...

I moved to boston to go to school... apparently you have to kill someone to get arrested or even ticketed in boston...

1b. Driving home from a friends house realatively buzzed... come around a 90 degree turn towards my place at like 50... cop is the oncoming car... SWERVES out of the way almost off the road thinking I'm going to come into his lane and hit him... he pulls me over..

Cop-"So aaaah, where's the fire?"
Me-"Sorry... I'm just a dumbass kid who likes to act like mario andretti sometimes... I wasn't really going that fast I was just using the whole lane..."
Cop-"Slow it down"

That's it he left. Ok I know that wasn't to good but THIS ONE IS...

I'm leaving a club in boston with my GF (now wife) a friend and a girl he works with...

I'm not shit faced but I'm drunk... definately should NOT have been driving... (have since changed my ways SERIOUSLY advize against driving drunk EVER).

Girl he works with live out in the boondocks... so I offer to drive her out to cambridge so her cab fare will be 20 bucks less...

We're driving and I light a joint...

(background... I was in my 93 sentra which was my baby that the week before I had spun out in the rain after hitting a dead deer on the highway in the rain... it had cams and a decent list of other mods.)

We get into cambridge and she's like drop me off anywhere around here... she says this while handing the J back to me... I pull over and drop her off and go to take a left to turn around. But since I'm in my totalled car and in the middle of talking about how pissed I am that it's wrecked.. I do a NASTY burnout... while I'm making the left... toking on the J...

Well someone (me) should've been paying a little bit more attention to the road... Seeing as it was a oneway OUTLET... of the CAMBRIDGE POLICE DEPT...

First car to blare it's horn at me as I come towards it doing a burnout going the wrong way down a oneway also turns on it's SPOTLIGHT... and RED AND BLUES...

spotlight is DIRECTLY in my face as I'm no hands toking on the J... oops.

I stop cop comes up to the car...

cop-"So... who's been smoken the dooba?" (yes that is EXACTLY what he said)

I'm not going to go into the blow by blow but... I gave them the roach that was left... told them I didn't have anything else on me...they had me my GF and my buddy all get out of the car while they searched the car...

Told me all the standard stuff... My buddy kept telling me to stop being so arrogant (I was sitting on the car, smoking cigs, yapping with the cop. (it wasn't arrogance... I just KNEW I was screwed... I couldn't have been dumber and they couldn't be more in the right so I wasn't going to get all upset... I knew what I was doing and I deserved whatever I got for it.)...

Anyway the guys let me off.. no ticket no field sobriety test... no have someone else drive home... they just sent me on my merry way with...

"get everyone home safe".

NOONE could believe it... my buddy was like "YOU LUCKY SON OF A *****.... I'd Be getting cornholed in jail by now if that were me"

There are more but I'm getting tired of typing.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:03 PM   #5
Civickid0to60

the law states that any modifcation to an exhaust is legal, as long as it is behind the catalytic converter.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:14 AM   #6
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by Civickid0to60
the law states that any modifcation to an exhaust is legal, as long as it is behind the catalytic converter.

You do realize that it is up to the cops discretion as to what is too loud though? THey could say anything is too loud and give you a fix it ticket to "fix" it.
V8killimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 03:19 AM   #7
a96710

I got pulled over once for loud exhaust and the cop said it had to be under a certain db level at idle and he actually had a db meter on him. My car was like 1-2db's louder then the state law but he was cool and said I don't mind that and let me go.
a96710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 04:38 AM   #8
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by V8killimports
You do realize that it is up to the cops discretion as to what is too loud though? THey could say anything is too loud and give you a fix it ticket to "fix" it.

incorrect, WA state law says that if the exhaust is any louder than 95 dB at 3000rpm it is illegal...

and they *HAVE* to have a dB meter, just saying "thats too loud" itsnt going to hold up in court

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:
Anonymous: Yea but a car has 4 heads, so it's headers!

Me: Or.. you could say that a car has one head...
TonitrusEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 06:07 AM   #9
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by TonitrusEN
incorrect, WA state law says that if the exhaust is any louder than 95 dB at 3000rpm it is illegal...

and they *HAVE* to have a dB meter, just saying "thats too loud" itsnt going to hold up in court

Well state to stae is different I guess... be lucky you don't live in california.. cop said it was too loud.. this was the 3rd time I had gotten a ticket for this.. I always fixed it, went to prove it wsa fixed, then changed right back.. I tried not to fix it to fight the point that it wasn't too loud, and ended up with like a $275 fine for not having it fixed befroe the court date. Like I said.. lucky you don't live in cali. Isn't 90db loud as shit?
Old 08-18-2003, 10:12 AM   #10
Whiteclipse99
4th Gear

So I've read all these posts on exhausts being too loud and people getting pulled over and I've come to one conclusion....cops need to get a life! Do they not have anything better to do. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of loud exhausts and I even complain about them sometimes, but really, aren't there far worse things happening in this world than some car enthusiast with a loud exhaust?

Btw......nonovurbizniz, your stories were, um, entertaining.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:33 PM   #11
Civickid0to60

agreed man. See its weird because here in maryland all these laws exist, but in indiana there are NO laws. I drove through their with my system blaring and my underglo on, right past cops and never got pulled over for anything! Also, there is no law about noise in maryland, they have not set a DB "meter". And so, they can't justify them pulling me over. They only pull kids like us over to meet their quota on tickets per month. They figure it will be easy to do, but i just got smarter. See what the law says is that it is illegal to modify the exhaust in anyway shape or form, if it is modified in front of the catalytic converter i.e. headers. But, the rest of the law states that if it is behind the catalytic converter then it is perfectly leagal. That is the part they dont show when they pull kids over. And pretty much it is illegal for cops to open the hood without a "inspector's warrant" so....the first part genuwinely cancels itself out. Another law here is that if a cop can hear your system 50 feet away its a ticket, but yet they only judge how far away you are from them! Bullshit. I just think its funny that they think they can crack down on kids by showing them bits and pieces of the laws that are in place.

Oh and it sucks in the first place because Harley's and Croch rockets can fly around here with their exhausts 1,000,000 times louder then mine at 3,000 rpm, and they have NO laws regarding them! Again bullshit.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:47 PM   #12
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by Civickid0to60
agreed man. See its weird because here in maryland all these laws exist, but in indiana there are NO laws. I drove through their with my system blaring and my underglo on, right past cops and never got pulled over for anything! Also, there is no law about noise in maryland, they have not set a DB "meter". And so, they can't justify them pulling me over.

Actually that's worse. They can pull you over for noiose pollution or anything they might be able to think of. As I said, they have no dB laws in california, yet they pull people over all the time. You get a fix it ticket for exhaust.. and have to get it fixed.. dunno what kinda ticket you get for a stereo...

Quote:
[i]
And pretty much it is illegal for cops to open the hood without a "inspector's warrant" so....the first part genuwinely cancels itself out. [/b]

Not really.. if a cop asks to see under your hood and you say no you think he will send you on your way? lol He will probably ask for a drug dog, and have it crawl all over/in your car. Not worth it. He will get under the hood somehow. Besides to probably get one of these "inspector's warrents" all he needs is probably a radio call..

Quote:
[i]
Oh and it sucks in the first place because Harley's and Croch rockets can fly around here with their exhausts 1,000,000 times louder then mine at 3,000 rpm, and they have NO laws regarding them! Again bullshit. [/b]

While I admit that harley's are loud and obnoxious.. I think the most annoying thing is a huge fart tipped car with a loud exhaust. It doesn't even sound good. Sounds much better when it's nice and quiet.. not like a pissed off bumble bee. Better to head the revving engine than the exhaust on smaller motors.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:06 PM   #13
Shot 2 Hel

i got blue lighted doing 100 on the interstate, when my friend got his licnese confiscated for 90 (i coulda stepped on my stomach it sunk so low)

Then i got pulled over for coming out of a parking lot too fast, but the cop let me off
Old 08-18-2003, 10:06 PM   #14
nonovurbizniz

Quote:
Originally posted by V8killimports
Not really.. if a cop asks to see under your hood and you say no you think he will send you on your way? lol He will probably ask for a drug dog, and have it crawl all over/in your car. Not worth it. He will get under the hood somehow. Besides to probably get one of these "inspector's warrents" all he needs is probably a radio call..

I dis-agree... cops ask because they HAVE TO... it's just like searching your car... if they have probable cause they generally just say get out I'm gunna search your car now...

If you refuse they generally give up... they try to corner you and make you nervous so they can say you acted suspiciously... but if you just say "I don't have time for you to go looking for something that's not here just to satisfy your curiosity... now if there's nothing else I'd like to leave now."

It is kinda risky but I've NEVER been searched after that schpeel.

And they can't just run a dog by your car without SERIOUS indications there's a need too... they need to ask for permission to do that as well... I've gotten myself and others' out of searches by emphasizing the ability to deny the cops.

While I admit that harley's are loud and obnoxious.. I think the most annoying thing is a huge fart tipped car with a loud exhaust. It doesn't even sound good. Sounds much better when it's nice and quiet.. not like a pissed off bumble bee. Better to head the revving engine than the exhaust on smaller motors. [/b]

Harley's and other bikes at least have the excuse that it makes them audible where they aren't visible... however it pisses me off to no end... NOT as much as fart cans though.. I'm with you... Ticket EVERYSINGLE kid with any exhaust that sounds like it's got an angry swarm behind it...

Oh and I also think it's gay that harley's and bikes don't run cats... that's lame.. same with classic cars... they don't really affect performance half as much as people make them out to... if you're turbo or supercharged it makes a bit of difference but not worth the effects on the world... It's really the other emissions crap that F's up performance... like egr and pcv... cats are kinda restrictive but not that bad... get an oversized hi-flo one... I know I would if I had a classic car...

Ranting sorry.

Last edited by nonovurbizniz : 08-18-2003 at 10:10 PM.
nonovurbizniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 02:28 AM   #15
V8killimports

Nonono... cats do not belong on a muscle car.. First of all it would sound horrible.. nothing like 650hp flowing through full 3" dual exhaust.. would sound like complete ass with a cat.. and yes.. a cat would take away well paid for horsepower.. One of the problems with having a newer import style rod I guess.. you need cats.. I don't need cats or any smog equipment.. and there are almost no laws for my car. I can do whatever I please with it, and I even have it insured for an agreed value of $35000 for only $225 a year. Can't beat a classic car. Newer cars domestic and imports generally sound like ass without cats.. dunno why, they just do.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:36 AM   #16
mylittlecivic

i think cops go through phases who ever they see the most and get the most annoyed at they bother, but yeah they do pick on ricers more than other cars for some reason

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote