HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Best way to clean engine? (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12142)

krz2fer 02-04-2003 12:42 PM

Best way to clean engine?

I'm going to be installing an AEM intake this week... in light of this I figured it'd be as good of a time as any to clean out the engine. Since it's a 92 I'm doubting it was done before... and I sure haven't done it. Nothing is rusted out of anything, just a lot of dirt, dust and some grease.

What's the best way to make things look 'as new' as possible? What needs to be covered up when water is present? Anyone know of a website or something with details?

Thanks.

94_AcCoRd_EX 02-04-2003 01:02 PM

Cover up the distributor, air filter (well, yours will be off, so cover the TB) fuse boxes, etc. (all electronics) before spraying it. I also heard that you should try to stay clear of the alternator for the most part.

Get some engine degreaser and follow the instructions on the bottle. I think I used "Gunk" on my old truck, but I've never done my car.

ChrisCantSkate 02-04-2003 03:27 PM

yeah.. i cover up the plugs, distributor, alternator, and fuse box. then i spray it down with heavy duty degreaser, ise a pressure cleaner on the block, and a hose on the valve cover and intake manifold. then i put degreaser on a rag and hand detail the alternator/distrobutor. then i whip the alumnium polish out and rub down the ps pump and alternator and valve cover letters

ShagginJet 02-04-2003 05:07 PM

I just used a several rags and some degreaser. Last time i used water i messed things up good. Had to have the distributor rebuilt... :)

Just get a hand dull of rags and some degreaser, spray the spray on the grease, wait 5 mins, come back and clean up.

sohc_vtec 2NR 02-04-2003 05:57 PM

is it true that you should have the car runnin' when sprayin' the engine with some form of a liquid cleaner?

ShagginJet 02-04-2003 06:51 PM

Doesn't sound right to me....

ebpda9 02-04-2003 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sohc_vtec 2NR
is it true that you should have the car runnin' when sprayin' the engine with some form of a liquid cleaner?

why so u could crack it when you spray the cold water over it ?

Daviso27 02-04-2003 11:54 PM

Cover up all of the electronics, plugs, air filter, dist. cap, etc. You don't need the car running when you spray the cleaner...actually it is best if your engine is cold or slightly warm when you clean it..do not attempt to clean it engine is hot...it could leave streaks and sh!t everywhere.

After you spray the cleaner or degreaser, start the car and keep it running while you rinse of the cleaner with a high pressure hose. The reason for this is just incase you do get any electrical device wet...it would dry out while the engine is on...keep engine running until the majority of the engine dries...

krz2fer 02-05-2003 06:47 AM

I was actually doing to try to do the spray on rags technique. I'll attempt that moethod first.

Addict 02-05-2003 07:11 AM

I just use a garden hose and some Simple Green. Wet the engine down, spray on the Simple Green, and scrub lightly with a brush. Then rinse it with lightly flowing water. Start it up and let it dry out a bit.

Obviously you don't want to drown your electrics, but a lil water shouldn't kill them.

Engine Before (when I first got it)

Engine After

You can't beat Simple Green. Get the spray liquid, not the foam.

mt.biker 02-05-2003 07:51 AM

dam i just spray away, and so far i haven't had any problems.. am i heading for trouble?

TonitrusEN 02-05-2003 07:53 AM

yea, your engine is going to explode and your head is going to light on fire... :loco:

sorry ive been at work all night

juvenile 02-05-2003 08:30 AM

Hmmm...I really want to clean my engine as well. Nice advice you people got here! Thanks. :yes:

krz2fer 02-05-2003 10:25 AM

No kidding, I'm amazed at this response and actually excited to cleanr the engine out. Thanks ALOT for the pics... let's me know what I have to look forward to. :yes:

ChrisCantSkate 02-05-2003 10:32 AM

thats after a decent clean... no polish involved.

firstgeardude 02-05-2003 10:47 AM

i just spray away with a pressure washer when the engine is cold.... start it up ..and drive off.. no problems

ebpda9 02-05-2003 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is my engine washed in the fall. and i have a bead leak at the valve cover gasket so please excuse the mess.