HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   High Performance (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   ARP assembly lube (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25705)

pdiggitydogg 12-04-2005 03:42 PM

ARP assembly lube

I just want to say how much I hate this crap.

For the longest time I have been having issues with the main bearings on the LS block. No matter what I tried, I couldnt figure out why I was getting resistance on turning the crank.

I had plastigauged it, and passed with .038mm on everything using ACL green standard bearings across the crank (even though I should have 2 browns in there). Plastigauge check rating is 40ft/lbs.
Finally, I just decided that I should get 2 thinner bearings (yellow code) to compensate for my problems...a $25 fix.
Before that, I decided to consult a builder on honda-tech.....

Turns out the ARP lube on my main bolts was causing them to tighten roughly 15ft/lbs tighter than the 56 spec that I should be using = 71ft/lbs. Holy hell...
Sure enough, drop the rating to 40 to compensate and the crank spins no issues what-so-ever. Hmm, exactly the same rating as the plastigauge test rating... No wonder it came out perfect there and gave me issues at 56!

Crap, that was frustrating.
I'll be cleaning this crap off and using straight oil as lube.

/rant
(Now that Ive done all that today, its time to get back to my paper that I shouldve written weeks ago)

sicones 12-04-2005 04:15 PM

wow 15ft/lbs would be that disastrous huh.....

thermal 12-05-2005 01:12 PM

Glad you got it figured out Pat.

JDMFantasy2k 12-05-2005 03:38 PM

so basically you're saying that the assembly lube was adding another 15 ft lbs to the spec and causing tight clearances?

pdiggitydogg 12-05-2005 04:47 PM

Yes, because the lube is so slippery it caused the torque to be higher before the wrench 'clicked' at the specific range - everything turned easier.
So when it did finally click, I had already surpassed the level desired

Mr. Haan 12-15-2005 06:07 PM

do u have any pictures of the build/process? pics of the plastigauge? where can I get a plastigauge?

pdiggitydogg 12-15-2005 06:28 PM

Nah no pics...my mom stole my camera too

I got the plastigauge at autozone - they keep it behind the counter - it just comes in a paper sleeve with the measurements on it (blue, green, red)

ExospeedRacing 12-19-2005 02:48 AM

IF you guys are building your own engines, I suggest investing in some Torco Engine Assembly Lube. PErsonally, we dont like using regular oil since it still doesnt provide as much lubrication as the assembly lube does. I'm not sure if ARP is similar to the Torco though. Never heard of Assy Lube making the torque go higher than it normally does.

pdiggitydogg 12-21-2005 04:12 PM

Ive already removed all the arp and used regular oil - it really was the problem and from now on, only regular oil on my bolts