::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2003, 09:29 AM   #1
CD5Passion

Side Skirt and Dash Removal

I have a 96 4 door accord and I've been trying to find out how to remove the side skirts so i can paint them, and remove the dash cause I'm going to tweed it and paint it
I have tried removing all the nuts and bolts and stuff under the side skirts , but there seems to be adhesive or something holding it on
as for Dash, I haven't started in fear of damaging stuff
if any of you can help me out here I would appreciate it
Old 01-10-2003, 09:38 AM   #2
Honda530

Well the side skirts have these little umm for lack of a better word buttons. You just ahve to remove all the :buttons from underneath and then kind of pull it off. As for the dash are you wanting to take it all out. Well the only thing I can say is the air bag is a ***** to take out and unless you know what your doing its gonna be a pain. I tried to take my whole dash out to paint it but I couldnt get around the airbag cover. So I had to mask the whole front and do it that way, but anyways get a Haynes or Helms auto manual. Those are very helpful. When you do mess with the dash please make sure to remove the positive battery cable and then Undo the airbag harness so it does not deploy. They are the yellow wires. there is one underneath the steering wheel when you take the steering wheel cover off and one behind the glove compartment. I ahve taken pretty much the whole dash apart besides the top part where the airbag lies. SO if you have any more?? letme know peace.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:38 PM   #3
CD5Passion

well I did remove all the "buttons" that incases the screws but even after I had them all off the skirt was still stuck and I could see what may of been some sort of adhesive patches, I had all I mean all the screws and stuff off and set out for later, but I couldn't find any way to get it off
as for the dash, you say I can't get the top off without messing with the airbag, well how about for the center console (where the controls sit), how would I go about removing that??
Old 01-10-2003, 04:49 PM   #4
Honda530

hmmm well Im not sure what else to do with the skirts but the part your taling bout is easy. This is what you need to do. Take out the cupholder and youll see a screw or two take them out. Then open up the armest compartment and take hte rectangle piece out. There are 2 screws that you need to remove there too. Then look on the sides of that part near where the seats are and there is a screw on each side remove those and then pull the ebrake up and that whole middle piece will come out. Then youll see some screws holding the part where the cd player and shift knob are that whole piece. Remove those. Be careful and remove that black plastic piece there are some stuff you ahve to disconnect from hte back but its easy to see. Now since your probably sitting in the drivers seat that plastic piece will under the steering wheel will just pop out its not held by anyscrews I dont think. NOw your able to get at the screws that hold parts of the center plastic part remove those. Okay now go into the passenger side and remove the glove compartment. there a few screws underneath that you need to remove and you need to take apart the latch that holds the glove compartment there. Y youll see some screws holding the middle dash part together take theose out so that you can remove the middle plastic piece. Now you are able to get to teh screws taht hold the black dash piece that has hte ac heat etc. Pop off the ac/heat knob ad the air lvl knob. The screws are underneath the dash part your trying to take out so look careful for some screws going upward. Now go into the drivers seat and remove the 2 screws where your gaugues are and remove the screws undearneath hte dash. Also remove the ac vent on the drivers side and there is a screw there you need to remove. Now you should be able to remove that black part. Be careful to unplug all the ac stuff and the wires. That should be it. Now if you want a better explanation go get a haynes auto manual. Trust me it helps thats How I removed all that stuff. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:17 AM   #5
rakugaki

sideskrits? freggin easy! yeah, remove the screws from the bottom, theres 4 i think. then, the front wheel well, theres a little mud flap thing, theres like 3 screws there and the mud thing comes off, now the fun part. go to the back wheel well and kick the sideskirt forward, give it some time, or go all out! the "mounts" pretty much slide off, so after you kick off the sideskirt, you can twist the mounts out of the holes and reattach them to the skirt, fun! careful though!
Old 01-11-2003, 04:22 AM   #6
rakugaki

crude diagram of sideskirts. kick AFTER you remove the screws from the sideskirts!!! (the three in the front and the clips from the bottom!!) good luck!

oh itsa sideview of the car, not from the bottom!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif untitled.gif (2.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 01-13-2003, 09:39 AM   #7
CD5Passion

Haha thanks for that detailed explanation for the sideskirts
if all else fails kick the hell out of it huh?
alright thanks everyone, specially for the center console
would you all recommend going to get the dash professionally done(taken off)?
Old 01-14-2003, 05:58 PM   #8
rakugaki

Quote:
Originally posted by Shardsofxapril

would you all recommend going to get the dash professionally done(taken off)?

umm, like redoing the whole thing?? i wish i could take out the center console box and replace it like civic owners can.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:25 PM   #9
CD5Passion

well I'm gonna get my dash redone in grey and red tweed, and paint the air vents and what not, but that could be a problem if I cant get the dash off :-/
I'm also gonna get the door material replaced with tweed but thats gonna be done by someone else cause I'm not dismantling my door myself, no way no how hah
Old 01-15-2003, 01:11 PM   #10
Honda530

Dude the door is simple. If your thinking about taking the dash off yourself do the door yourself. Its one of the easiest things.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:41 PM   #11
rakugaki

we both have lx sedans! : hmm, the door? you can read below, or you can look in a haynes manual, its simple! ,

1. take the one screw out the door handle and pull it out and disconnect the "pull rod" and the power lock wires
2. Remove the screw other on the part where you put your hand in to pull the door close and remove the window controls and disconect wires
3.remove the cover from the side mirrors (don't have to take the mirror out, just the black cover).
4. theres a clip (looks like a button) directly below side mirror that you can pull straight out or pry with a screwdriver
5.then the fun part, pull the edges where you can see the metal and the vinyl meet. all across the side and the bottom. It should POP, don't worry, youre not breaking anything (i hope)
6.after the clips are loose, pull the door straight up and disconnect the courtesy light wires.
7. installation is reverse

It's fun to do stuff yourself, saves money too. did my alarm, springs, audio system and a whole bunch of mods. You can have a pro install a stereo system or what not for you, but you won't have that great feeling of accomplishment when you finish your project!
Old 01-16-2003, 10:06 AM   #12
CD5Passion

hah..thanx ur the best