.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > Battle of the Sexes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2003, 01:34 PM   #1
GirlRacer

Distance

Ok guys. Lend me your hands here. In a relationship-what distance do you think you deal with and not worry about your other person.

I.E.-I could handle someone 3-45 minutes away... but more than that, I think would wear on me after awhile. Not saying it COULD NOT be done, it'd just get kind've complicated after awhile.

What do you guys think?
Old 05-31-2003, 02:17 PM   #2
mylittlecivic

my b/f lives 4 hours away right now i only get to see him about once a month, and in august he'll be moving over 2,000 miles away, and ill only get to see him summer and winter breaks, but I think we'll deal.

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 02:53 PM   #3
mt.biker

It really comes down to the maturity of the people you're dealing with. But the bigger problem is the strength of the relationship you have, there needs to be alot of trust and respect for anything considered long distance to work. Otherwise you just end up fighting because you're both hurtting over the fact you cant see eachother and are tired of talking on the phone.

Something else to consider is how the relationship was started, if it was started at a distance I wouldn't bohter. If this guy you're refering to lived close and now has moved further away, it will come down to how interested in him you are.

Personally travel time would be a big downer, if i had to drive 2 hours to see my gf. Maybe an hour tops now that I really think about it, because thats 2 hours of 'driving to see her' and thats alot if you want to see her a few times a week. 2 hour drive for 3-4 hours at her place seems a little out of balance to me. Maybe if she also drove the distance and I could trust her, maybe i could deal with more.

Theres a few bucks for ya..
Old 05-31-2003, 03:06 PM   #4
DumbMoFo

For every person it is different.

My gf and I made it work when she was doing her study abroad semester in Europe and I was here in the states. It was rough, particularly because I didn't have a schedule conducive to getting there to see her, but we made it through. However, not everyone will, and there are plenty of instances of those who fail while trying.

There are others I know who anything more than a half-hour is too much.

Ultimately, a lot of it is about maturity and how you really value the relationship.

(for what it's worth, she called it quits 9 months after she returned because she couldn't deal with a 4 hour drive when she had an additional semester of school left and I had graduated).
Old 05-31-2003, 03:10 PM   #5
GirlRacer

Specifically here, I'm referring to like... a 2 hour drive to spend maybe 2-3 out of 4 weekends a month together...

Would that wear thin on you guys?
Old 05-31-2003, 03:42 PM   #6
mt.biker

Quote:
Originally posted by GirlRacer
Specifically here, I'm referring to like... a 2 hour drive to spend maybe 2-3 out of 4 weekends a month together...

Would that wear thin on you guys?

yes
Old 05-31-2003, 03:44 PM   #7
Kyle
elyK

depends on who i'd be making that drive for...

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 05:05 PM   #8
ohiochica

2 hours? i could easily deal with 2 hours.......hell for teh right guy i could deal with 2 days.

Ohio HST members please read this
ohiochica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 05:20 PM   #9
mt.biker

Quote:
Originally posted by ohiochica
2 hours? i could easily deal with 2 hours.......hell for teh right guy i could deal with 2 days.

Have you done a long distance relationship?

The reason I ask is alot of people always say they're able to do it. But very few long distance relationships work out because for a relationship are complicated and distance just adds something else to deal with. Dont take this as a personal bash because thats not how I mean it, but i'm sure it'll be spun like that the moment you read it.

I'm getting at the fact so many say they could do distance but until they've tired they never know...
Old 06-01-2003, 12:04 AM   #10
mylittlecivic

2 hours i drive that like every week for the heck of it you guys are being pussys

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 12:43 PM   #11
Shot 2 Hel

my friend's g/f lives about an hour away from him, and they seem to be doing OK. But i guess here in MS everything is spaced out like that. so i dunno. Might depend on the area of where you are too. But i dunno if i could do 2 hours. Cause thats 4 hours driving for MAYBE 3 hours.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:11 AM   #12
imports_only98

if he's only 2 hours away i say go for it. any major distance is pointless. believe me...i know.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:30 AM   #13
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

It really depends on the circumstances too.

If its someone that youve been dating for a while, and you are serious with that goes away to college, etc. Since its something thats only temporary it would probably work out okay.

But if its someone you met on Spring break, that you dont really know to well and you have to drive 2 or 3 hours to see. I think it would get old, and probably not work out to well.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:33 PM   #14
Shot 2 Hel

^^^good point
Old 06-02-2003, 05:03 PM   #15
GirlRacer

That IS a good point, and actually the point I was basing this question around... yasee... I have someone wanting to date me about 2 hours from here, that could only have time for 2, maybe 3 weekends out of 4 to spend time with me.

I'm thinking I need more time than that. With only THAT much time, I risk getting bored and doing something I shouldn't.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:15 PM   #16
Smokd187

2 hours didn't work for me. I didn't have a car and she did. She never wanted to drive up cause her parents wouldnt let her. She was immature I was trying to live on my own. We fought, but whatever works. It was completely her fault for not being reasonable
Old 06-02-2003, 05:25 PM   #17
zm_dawg

why even start this relationship if your already saying you'll do something you shouldn't....obviously can't trust you.....and why put anyone through it....you say you'd be bored after a week or so...but in reality it'll be days.....
Old 06-02-2003, 05:26 PM   #18
GirlRacer

Um, hello? I'm not starting it. The question was, should I or shouldn't I...
Old 06-02-2003, 06:45 PM   #19
mt.biker

Quote:
Um, hello? I'm not starting it. The question was, should I or shouldn't I...

I think he just TOLD you not to bother....
Old 06-02-2003, 08:32 PM   #20
zm_dawg

um...hello.....the first line.....=....."why even start this"
Old 06-02-2003, 08:55 PM   #21
mt.biker

Quote:
Originally posted by zm_dawg
um...hello.....the first line.....=....."why even start this"

its the reading thing, cut her some slack... haha
Old 06-02-2003, 09:24 PM   #22
nonovurbizniz

Quote:
Originally posted by zm_dawg
why even start this relationship if your already saying you'll do something you shouldn't....obviously can't trust you.....and why put anyone through it....you say you'd be bored after a week or so...but in reality it'll be days.....

ya apparently that's not a strong suit
Old 06-03-2003, 06:53 AM   #23
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Take it easy guys.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:55 AM   #24
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:

I'm thinking I need more time than that. With only THAT much time, I risk getting bored and doing something I shouldn't.

I wouldnt want to date someone and be exculive with them if Im only going to see them a couple times a month, seems kinda like a waste of time to me. You probably wont be doing anything but holding each other down.

You wont really have the time you need to get to know the person well.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:59 AM   #25
GirlRacer

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Take it easy guys.

Thank you. I was trying to ignore it...

And ya, I talked to this guy again last night and he says that he could move up here in a year. He's in college in his town right now which is what's holding him there...but there's a finishing school for his degree here in my town that he could go to in 1 year...

I don't know if this puts a twist on anything but...a year is a LOOOOONG time!
Old 06-03-2003, 07:25 AM   #26
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Why not try to stay friends for a year and see what happens in a year. I dont see much reason or sense to put life on pause for a possibility.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:52 AM   #27
mt.biker

get to know him better, 3times a month isnt bad, geez soo many people have to rush
Old 06-03-2003, 09:42 AM   #28
mt.biker

I'll add, i've become interested in a girl thats 30min away via highway about 30miles, which i can probably get down to 15-20min depending on traffic. I think it might be a problem if say we were to get together for an hour and then have to go our own ways. But if we get together for an evening or an afternoon it aint a problem for me. Just looks like i'll be driving most of the time, cause she doesnt like driving into the city...
Old 06-03-2003, 12:36 PM   #29
nonovurbizniz

LD relationships suck... I wouldn't even bother...

especially considering you're already thinking it's too far you won't be able to see him enough...

You obviously KNOW you shouldn't so... I think you've answered the Q yourself.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:44 PM   #30
SolPol

I think he's got ya there.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:01 PM   #31
zm_dawg

You already answered it when you mentioned you'll end up doing something you shouldn't....if you don't see'em often
Old 06-03-2003, 02:24 PM   #32
mt.biker

Quote:
Originally posted by SolPol
I think he's got ya there.

was got when forgot how to read...
Old 06-04-2003, 09:22 AM   #33
SolPol

Quote:
Originally posted by mt.biker
was got when forgot how to read...

What?
Old 06-04-2003, 09:27 AM   #34
mt.biker

dam that was horrible typing on my part (sorry i can't edited the f uckers any more)

well i was gonna say "she was GOT when she forgot how to read" shes always telling people how to read but cant take her own advice.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:31 AM   #35
SolPol

Yeah, ya know I saw that earlier in the thread and was gonna say something, but I kept my mouth shut (something new and different for me).
Old 06-04-2003, 09:32 AM   #36
mt.biker

Quote:
Yeah, ya know I saw that earlier in the thread and was gonna say something, but I kept my mouth shut (something new and different for me).

why bother dude? If i feel like speaking i speak up, I rarely bite my tongue, and for a b!tchy female it just aint happening.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:35 AM   #37
SolPol

I think it was more the, I'm at work and I'm busy thing, than it was anything else. Wasn't a pressing concern. Trust me, I speak up when I want. I'm a pro.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:42 AM   #38
mt.biker

Quote:
I think it was more the, I'm at work and I'm busy thing, than it was anything else. Wasn't a pressing concern. Trust me, I speak up when I want. I'm a pro.

haha ok i'll let it slide this time... but only this time.. jokes
Old 06-04-2003, 10:22 AM   #39
SolPol

Thanks for the pass
Old 06-04-2003, 11:05 AM   #40
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

If you guys want to talk amoungst yourself send a PM. Please try to keep on topic.