.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2004, 06:09 PM   #1
GeneralDzur

Anyone know how to invoke my VTec at lower RPM's?

Well, my VTec kicks in at 4,800 RPM's, and I would like for it to kick in at about 3,900. How would I go about doing this? I know there are a couple of ways, but what is the cheapest?

- Dzur
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my engine_small.jpg (21.9 KB, 58 views)
Old 02-27-2004, 06:34 PM   #2
Wren57

I know there is a vtec controller out there, I believe it is made by APEXi, but I'm not sure. Something like a vafc if I recall correctly...

*edit* yup, I was right

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2461902601
Old 02-27-2004, 07:00 PM   #3
IALuder

a vtec controller. APex is imo the best. but then agian greddy makes good products and they just released one.

or you could try the expensive as hell Hondata system.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 07:35 PM   #4
Civickid0to60

hx racing has a touchscreen one :-p, but cheapest is probably APEXi, but the greddy one i would trust with my life.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:09 PM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

a used fields controller would be cheaper, or maybe even a chip from hyperducktuning.com

But ya know, honda put vtec where it is for a reason...it works where it is.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 08:18 PM   #6
MAXed Out
6th Gear

Yeah use a APEXi or Greddy. WHy would u wanna change it anyways?
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
MAXed Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 09:28 PM   #7
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

on stock cams lowering it will probobly hurt your performance any more than 3-400rmps below stock. but the cheapest way, spoon made a dial that you could manually adjust it with, next would be a used fields vtec controller, then a apex(my #1 choice for easy of use and abilities)

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:49 PM   #8
thermal
Banning Machine

Or you can jerry rig the switch to your TPS. But I wont even preach that. Chris pretty much summed it up.... in that order of cost. Goodluck

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 03:02 AM   #9
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by thermalfi'd16
Or you can jerry rig the switch to your TPS. But I wont even preach that. Chris pretty much summed it up.... in that order of cost. Goodluck

That'd be a lot of work to get the Vtec in sooner without causing a shitty idle. I've known a few guys with Vtec timers that had pretty good success using them. But I've also heard using it at lower rpms can cause reliability issues.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 10:33 AM   #10
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

id get the spoon one. MY friends got it in his Eg and its pretty fly.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:34 PM   #11
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by SFKing
a vtec controller. APex is imo the best. but then agian greddy makes good products and they just released one.

or you could try the expensive as hell Hondata system.

300$ = expensive?
Old 02-28-2004, 12:37 PM   #12
cashizslick

VTEC is not supposed to be lowered. The only point of the VTEC controler is to RAISE the vtec engaugement point when you use more agressive camshafts.

The only time you would benefit from lowering the VTEC point is if you were running a supercharger.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:57 PM   #13
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by cashizslick
VTEC is not supposed to be lowered. The only point of the VTEC controler is to RAISE the vtec engaugement point when you use more agressive camshafts.

The only time you would benefit from lowering the VTEC point is if you were running a supercharger.

well... close... the point of a vtec controller is to help match your power curves of upper and lower cam lobs to have a seamless crossover so theres no power spike, and no loss of power from it being too low/high. at least thats what i've been told, seen, experienced

Old 02-28-2004, 04:51 PM   #14
GeneralDzur

Wow...too much information...j/k :P

Actually that's pretty handy to know. I've heard about VTec being useless at lower RPM's or causing a bad idle. I guess that's fine. I talked to a performance parts shop today who installs Nitrous systems, (but not Turbos) and I asked him some advice on turbo kits. He said he wouldn't even bother turbo-ing a SOHC, because the only boost you could reliably run would be something like 6 or 7 PSI at max. Sooo..basically, the only reason I wanted to time the VTec lower was because I rarely get up to 4,800 RPMs in regular driving, and I just wanted the xtra power increase available at lower RPM's. But thanks for all the info guys, really.

So basically VTec is just a way of.....what? Timing the valves for more power at higher RPM's? I've never really understood it very well.

In the end I'll probably just get a B16 and stick it in there, and then run a turbo on it.

- Dzur
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my engine_small.jpg (21.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-28-2004, 09:30 PM   #15
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralDzur
So basically VTec is just a way of.....what? Timing the valves for more power at higher RPM's? I've never really understood it very well.

in a nutshell yes

Old 02-28-2004, 10:09 PM   #16
pdiggitydogg

Quote:
He said he wouldn't even bother turbo-ing a SOHC, because the only boost you could reliably run would be something like 6 or 7 PSI at max.

Your mechanic is an idiot and should be kicked in the head. He clearly doesnt understand how things work. D's will hold up to the same amount of boost as almost any engine (basically). Theyre not made out of foil... Yes, compared to say a b18b/b20, D16's have higher compression...but b16s and b18c's have even higher compression. D16's are not junk and take to boost very well.

http://www.turbod16.com/viewtopic.php?t=4140
There is a good list of turbo D16's. Notice that many of them are totally stock internals. Christ, even if you did want more power, you could always resleeve the damn block.
I'd stop going to that place if I were you...they clearly dont know anything. 'Reliably'...:scoff: Its called tuning!
(then again, you did say they do not deal w/ turbo apps)

Anyway...now that I got that out of my system...
If youre looking for more low end power get a supercharger (which you will get tired of on your d16) or swap in a b18/b20 for a lot more torque (b18b if you want a good turbo motor and b20 for gobs of torque on a stock motor).
Old 02-28-2004, 11:56 PM   #17
GeneralDzur

Yeah, but I'd want to run more than a 6 or 7 PSI boost. I was hoping for something like 12-14. He said that the SOHC doesn't handle the pressure very well and that's it's rough on it. Is that true?

Another question while I'm at it: Would $600 for a NOS system (installed) be a good price?

- Dzur
Old 02-29-2004, 12:06 AM   #18
AkimboStylee

yes, but what brand, for your cr, i would run a zex 75 shot, dry of course

Last edited by AkimboStylee : 02-29-2004 at 12:14 AM.
AkimboStylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 11:56 AM   #19
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Yeah, but I'd want to run more than a 6 or 7 PSI boost. I was hoping for something like 12-14. He said that the SOHC doesn't handle the pressure very well and that's it's rough on it. Is that true?

Another question while I'm at it: Would $600 for a NOS system (installed) be a good price?

- Dzur

so this guy sells nitrous kits... told you your engine sucks for turbo and nitrous is the better way to go? he's just trying to make sales

Old 02-29-2004, 12:14 PM   #20
pdiggitydogg

definatey
MOST engines would not be able to withstand 12-14psi (notice I said 'MOST'). D16's will take up to "10psi on stock internals" is pretty much the standard saying. Bseries is the same if you ask me (minus ls...which might be able to eek out a bit more) If you want to run that much boost youre going to have to redo the rods at the very least and and even then Id look into resleeving.
12-14 is acually quite a lot...most people run under 10 for daily driving...think of roughly 8whp/psi...8*10=80more whp.....thats a lot
D series engines are just as capable as B series... Plus theyre cheaper (That is a fact, I am not sparking the dvsb again...thats in the civic forum)
Old 02-29-2004, 02:23 PM   #21
GeneralDzur

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
so this guy sells nitrous kits... told you your engine sucks for turbo and nitrous is the better way to go? he's just trying to make sales

No, he wasn't trying to sell me his Nitrous kits. He had a turbo installed on his Civic, and he said he'd refer me to the guy who did the work for him. It was *me* who asked him about the Nitrous kit, and that was the price he quoted me.

- Dzur
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my engine_small.jpg (21.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-01-2004, 12:55 AM   #22
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg

But ya know, honda put vtec where it is for a reason...it works where it is.

BINGO.
On a stock engine. not worth it.

And yes your D can handle boost!

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:33 AM   #23
cashizslick

Quote:

dude, if ur gonna run more than 8 psi on a sohc all the time you will induce mad wear and tear on your motor.

re-inforce the darn thing.