Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2004, 09:10 PM   #1
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

What I thought of

A few years ago I read a book by astro-physisist Michi Okaku.
The book explained about wormholes, time travel, energy barriers, phaser beams, faster than light travel, fusion reaction power, and all that stuff that most believe to be science fiction. He proclaimed it all to be "science future".

One thing that I have been thinking about lately is time travel based on alternate dimensions, loops, and time seen as a river or street w/ many avenues, caldesacs, and loops.

-

Ok, take this idea that has been my thoughts of this afternoon:

Lets say that, in the future, time travel is possible (just go w/ me on this). Through a controlled portal/tear a person jumps to a certain point on the current time-line's past. (Red line)

Through the traveler's actions time is changed; creating a separate parallel universe. (Green line)

However, the original line continues - since it had to, in order for the traveler to exist in the first place. (The Red Line continuation)

Due to the traveler's action on the event, there could be an infinite number of universes also created due to any number of actions that resulted from the change (represented by the blue line...that there should be more of..but I didnt draw)

So...if that is the case, and that becomes possible, wouldnt it make sense that the world we know it is not as it has always been? Even if a point was changed, by said traveller, we wouldnt know it because the event's outcome was changed. We become part of the parallel universe and that is just how it has been, is, and forever will be....at least on our time-line
If the past is changed, we'd never know it. "we'd never say "where's bob?" If bob never existed.
-
People say "if there is time travel in the future...why arent there any people proclaiming themselves to be time-travellers?" The answer to that is easy. Those people get locked up in insane asylums or jail, marked as terrorists. That makes sense. I mean if someone came up to me and said "Im from the future; dont go to work today, there will be an accident" Id think they were nuts. Then, after I go to work and have the accident I'd think that person had something to do w/ it and I would have that person taken to jail (given the accident being something man-created, I mean.......think 9/11).
-
So now lets think to civilizations. Some say similarities of civilizations 1/2 way across the world are alien related (south america and egypt). What if it were a time traveller who did it? Dropped a picture, a hint, something. Im not big on that one...just something I thought of writing this.
-
Finally I'll say: What if people from the future, who travelled through time, were the cause of some of the most curious things on earth?
Dinosaurs didnt die of a meteor...they died of sickness from humans (like indians) and the craters were there from earth's creation?
What if we lost ww2 and time was changed by a rebel?
What if everything we know it as now, isnt how it was or how its supposed to be?

Time's a fun thing to think about. At least it is when I have nothing to do @ work. So, Im not crazy...just bored w/ lots of time ( )
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 09:33 PM   #2
soundspeed

wow man, work must be realy realy slow, but was actualy kinda interesting. I have a question for you, if time travel was possible or you could see into the future would you want to know what happens for you down the road, or would you let life just happen? I don't think I'd want to know unless it involves getting a new motor or falling off a cliff.

The Only Replacement For Displacement...Is Technology
soundspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 09:42 PM   #3
pdiggitydogg

If we're making time wishes...Id love to have complete control over time.
Speed it up. Slow it down. Pause it. See it. Travel through it...everything.
It'd be awesome.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:55 PM   #4
soundspeed

Yeah I guess that would be kinda cool. It'd be awesome to go back in time to specific events and see what realy happened like the dinosaurs or the titanic, also to go into the future like 100 years from now and see what life is like. Maybe one day....

The Only Replacement For Displacement...Is Technology
soundspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 10:02 PM   #5
pdiggitydogg

well fusion is pretty much the key to the universe...so once we figure that out we control the stars.

Folding space/time is something that we'd have to work on next... How you go about folding emptiness and sparse elements of Hydrogen??
Old 08-09-2004, 12:59 AM   #6
AzCivic

isnt this a movie?

if people were from the future they'd be smart enough not to just go up to people saying they're from the future w/ out proof. I'd at least have like an advanced math book or a video camera or a polaroid camera or one of the countless other things that we have today that wasnt even thinkable 200years ago.

i dont think its possible to go back in time, there'd too much complicated crap as a result of it.

going into the future would be pretty easy though.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 02:04 AM   #7
CD5Passion

wow, I'm incredibly impressed by the things you have said. and it all makes good sense. when i thought of time I never once thought that maybe a trek through time could create parallel universes, but it is a very good point.

but you know there is a way to look into the past, just you can't interact with it. I'm sure many have thought about this but when you look up at night and look at the stars you may be looking into the past depending on how far away the star is. i mean stars are lightyears away, so by the time the light given off from the stars reachs our field of vision, they may no longer exist and infact those that we see could very well be thousands of hundreds of years old. kinda like looking at ghosts, just a thought to tease the brain
Old 08-09-2004, 03:35 AM   #8
IALuder

i think you think to much.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:40 AM   #9
pdiggitydogg

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
isnt this a movie?

if people were from the future they'd be smart enough not to just go up to people saying they're from the future w/ out proof. I'd at least have like an advanced math book or a video camera or a polaroid camera or one of the countless other things that we have today that wasnt even thinkable 200years ago.

Is it a movie??

What if humans created themselves? What if we kick-started our own evolution/civilizations? Travel back in time, introduce fire, the wheel, currency, architecture, etc.
Granted it had to start somwhere but what if it was done to jump-start technology to get a head-start to further humans in the traveller's own time?
A lot of ancient civilizations claimed they received ideas through muses. What if a muse was just a time-traveller?
(yeah thats not very good...but whatever)
Old 08-09-2004, 03:10 PM   #10
VR4_Craver
Banned

Re: What I thought of

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
Lets say that, in the future, time travel is possible (just go w/ me on this). Through a controlled portal/tear a person jumps to a certain point on the current time-line's past. (Red line)

Through the traveler's actions time is changed; creating a separate parallel universe. (Green line)

However, the original line continues - since it had to, in order for the traveler to exist in the first place. (The Red Line continuation)

I wouldnt think that the red line would continue simply because if said line represents "bob" in the present, and since "bob" left the present his line would stop no? But after reading this (after realizing how big a waste of time j/k) it reminded me of a show on Spike TV called 7 days. Where in the future all this is basically true but the guy can only go back a total of 7 days.Good show...and this is a good way to pass the time
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 06:07 PM   #11
pdiggitydogg

the red doesnt just represent "bob"...its all of that time-line. Bob just exists on it.
I suppose it could stop at the point where the traveller left, but it MUST exist up to the point when the traveller left the present and returned to the past. If the line stopped at the point when "bob" was removed the traveller may not have been able to exist at all, creating the blue line (representing infinite possibilites) and therefore has no loop returning to the point of "bob"

Also, the stopping point on the red line (when the traveller left) could also spring forth another slew of blue line of universes.

So my picture is incomplete.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:41 AM   #12
RxGoaT13
4th Gear

sounds like a mix between back to the future,donnie darko and butterfly effect.

i dont know if other demensions or parallel universe really exist,
that would mean I would exist in on those other time lines.I mean if i went back in time and killed myself then that means i wouldnt exist in the future to go back and kill myself.hmmm this shit is confusing.
RxGoaT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:06 AM   #13
juvenile

That's some great stuff dude. I love thinking about this also. There are actually alot of great sights on this. When I find the one I'm thinking about, I'll post it.

edit:// here it is
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html
<--- I suggest you watch that, it's pretty cool.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/
The whole pbs.org website is awesome but the nova section deals with maths and sciences and the like.

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic

i dont think its possible to go back in time, there'd too much complicated crap as a result of it.

going into the future would be pretty easy though.

Actually it's the other way around. To some extent there is "some" time travel into the past happening as we speak. Lets say astronaut A goes into space and stays at orbit for a long time. When he went up, him and person B synchronize their watches together. When he finally comes down, person B's watch will be a little bit ahead than person A's. Person B will also have aged a little faster than person A. Pretty cool shit if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally posted by RxGoaT13
i dont know if other demensions or parallel universe really exist,
that would mean I would exist in on those other time lines.I mean if i went back in time and killed myself then that means i wouldnt exist in the future to go back and kill myself.hmmm this shit is confusing.

You would kill yourself and create an alternate universive without you, but your timeline will remain in tact. That's my take on this.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:16 PM   #14
VR4_Craver
Banned

this is kinda like the ONE! But if that red line represents just bob in his universe (may or may not) The lines should be broke up where said time traveler enters and and exits different universes this is great!
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:13 PM   #15
BlackWolf
La Loba Loca

Ya'll are giving me a headache. I can't say I believe in it but I can't deny the possibility of it either. Somethings just can't be explained but are better experienced. Ya dig? 'Cuse me while you ponder that I go lite a big one. We're gonna need it.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:30 PM   #16
biker's back

They did a test with the plane that goes mach 3 and put the worlds most actuate clock on the plane and one on the ground. They flew for a set about of time up there at those speeds and when they came down to earth the clock was something like 7 seconds behind.

On earth it woul dhave taken 1000's of years for that clock to lose time. Makes you think.

I do think however we give humans way to much credit. just about everything with touch we ruin, if the earth was in perfect balance before humans got here then we've totally screwed this up. Unless of course in our imbalance we're doing exactly what we should do and maybe this is a cycle.

HOwever, if time travel was possible alot of people in the furture would come back and they'd start popping up.

It's interesting, however remember that time is only a perspective and thats why it seems to slow down and speed up. 'Time flies when you're having fun'
Old 08-10-2004, 04:57 PM   #17
G-M-W
2nd Gear

that picture u drew is the exact picture doc in back to the future drew
G-M-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 06:50 PM   #18
pdiggitydogg

Quote:
Originally posted by G-M-W

"no way jose"
Can you get a pic of that?
Old 08-11-2004, 02:52 PM   #19
VR4_Craver
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
"no way jose"
Can you get a pic of that?

damn you pdigg! ITS A FAKE!! mwhahah j/k

Quote:

I casnt believe that someone even though of this...
Old 08-12-2004, 05:53 AM   #20
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by juvenile

Actually it's the other way around. To some extent there is "some" time travel into the past happening as we speak. Lets say astronaut A goes into space and stays at orbit for a long time. When he went up, him and person B synchronize their watches together. When he finally comes down, person B's watch will be a little bit ahead than person A's. Person B will also have aged a little faster than person A. Pretty cool shit if you ask me.

you're the one who's got it wrong, the one who went to space just traveled into the future; as he approaches the speed of light time slows down, so for him a minute went by while on earth say 2minutes went by. he went one minute into the future relative to everyone else. everone else didnt go one minute into the past relative to him.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:53 AM   #21
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by G-M-W

yeah i remember something like that too
Old 08-13-2004, 01:11 AM   #22
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i think if we figure out time travel, we would be smart enough not to go back and alter events that ultimatly led upto the civiliation that made this technology work.

according to your diagram once time travel happens the previous universe stays there still functioning. however if you change anything, then the course of events that led to the current(future time before you travel back) civilization wouldnt happen, and changing major events such as an outcome of a war could mean certain technologies would not be discovered then the second you travel back in time your time machine no longer exsists, and you yourself would not even be there since the course of events that led to you going on this journey didnt take place.

if you stop a terror attack or something of that nature that seems like it only helps, you risk having them attack on a larger scale. maybe the 9/11 attacks are stopped and the handful of taliban are stoped by an unknown person from the future. osama isnt hunted by america and he can plan another attack, possibly more devistating. ok so now they attack again with a nuke and hit washington(just go with it), and end up tearing america apart into smaller nation states. yes this is worst case senerio, but when you think about altering the past you need to look at anything that could ultimatly negate the future technology and then making the time travel back never happen....

also what about your past self? would you be able to meet your past self(episode of southpark comes to mind) and tell them anything, and every word you speak does your current state change because of some life changing advise you give to yourself as a child? what if you touch yourself? (lol that came out wrong) can 2 different beings of the same matter be in the same spot at the same time or would it be destroyed, or super powered?

i dont know too much about time travel, however is going back in time the only theory we have or is future travel possible, and does this follow the same theory on lightspeed travel?

lol you got my brain thinking about stuff im never going to have answers for... damn you

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:20 PM   #23
pdiggitydogg

Ive seen diagrams of what you mentioned first. Instead of creating choas it just makes a continuous loop. Ive even seen one where a person goes back in time twice, alters 2 pasts and becomes their own mother (when they started as a man). That made sense too (following the diagram). But by changing 1 thing it must form alternate universes. I hate to mention it but dragon ball z utilizes that theory w/ the androids (if youve seen it you know what Im talking about)

I think given the reality of time travel you would be able to meet yourself. Things like destruction of the universe (ie back the the future rules) probably arent likely since you and....you...are just matter. It doesnt matter what it comes in contact with. At least thats my take. After all, how would the universe know youre you and that youre special? Its not like something follows you around and says "you cant do this, this, and this."

Future travel probably cant exist because it hasnt happened. What we do creates it and anything at anytime can alter that. Its not predetermined like the past is....was...whatever. I have not seen anything about forward time travel, only returning to point of origin stuff. (point B to A and back to B...no C).

All of the things Ive read on time travel utilize controlling of either super gravity, fusion and electromagnetic reactions on dark matter, and wormholes - since all have effects on time, light, and everything else (theoretically). Basically what Okaku says is once we can control fusion on earth we can figure the rest out pretty quickly since its all based on getting enough energy.

Personally Ive become interested on photon behavior since it can travel though any material and doesnt seem to be effected by any of the 3 powers (gravity (since we cant get enough here), electricity, magnets). Its a fusion by-product. I wonder what would happen if we were able to harness it w/ super-gravity? Or large enough harmonic resonators (like how we can control minute amounts of fission reactions (the hope of fusion power here right now). Photon beams maybe? Just a thought. Photon beams would just travel through it w/o effects imo.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:37 PM   #24
biker's back

But what if time is the only thing we can't play with? Humans toy with just abuot everything else on and off this world. Light, energy and atoms, but what if time is the one thing we couldn't toy with? We've come so far but yet reach the same limits.

The last 100 or so years have seen a surge in the advancements of man kind, and what if we are in that loop you speak of. We'll get far enough and then do it all over again.

Does any one ever wonder why there are lost civilizations? Will we become one of those? they say if it wasn't for oil the world population would crumble. What happens when we reach the end? Maybe its time travel?
Old 08-13-2004, 03:43 PM   #25
GirlRacer

I R Stoopid
Old 08-13-2004, 04:00 PM   #26
biker's back

Quote:
Originally posted by GirlRacer
I R Stoopid

actually i dont know of many females who enjoy coversations like this. Might be a male thing.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:18 PM   #27
GirlRacer

haha, it must be, I got through the first 2 - 3 paragraphs and needed some tylenol