::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2006, 12:33 AM   #1
nonovurbizniz

I'm with stupid

Well... OVER a full year after I got my cam I FINALLY decided to install it today.

I had done the HG 2 weeks ago and set the timing wrong so I let it sit at my buddy's station for a while and was going to fix the timing and do the cam today.

Well... I fucking broke it. I'm SOOO pissed... it was ALL my fault and if I had been thinking clearly I would've seen it coming... I was just trying to rush trough it and it seemed like it was going on right then all of a sudden... THUNK...

3 pieces.... I'm SOOOO pissed.

And I"m in NO position to buy another one right now... I mean I "could" but it'll piss me off because I was really trying to save for the headlights to finish my HID project..

Well it was noone's fault but my own but I just wanted to vent.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

How in the world do you snap a cam? Are Honda cams really that delicate? i mean...I've broken associating hardware, but never a whole cam.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #3
sicones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT40FIED
How in the world do you snap a cam? Are Honda cams really that delicate? i mean...I've broken associating hardware, but never a whole cam.

sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #4
nonovurbizniz

well the way the rock arms work there are 3 for the intake and 2 for the exhaust.

The middle one of the three for the intake is really just a lost motion/tranfer piece... not a full arm... well the one on the number 3 cylinder was upsidedown when I went to put it together and somehow I just didn't notice...

It was lining up funny but then seated ok so I started the torque sequence... and when I was just about finished all of a sudden the whole thing shifted and I heard a crack...

Took it apart again lifted off the rocker arm assembley and the cam was snapped in 3 pieces...

I'm still so pissed...

I'm going to get another cam and take the oportunity to get some stuff done though... I took off the header and painted it now I'm gunna pull the head again and maybe get new valve guides and a 3 or 5 angle valve job. maybe some porting. My buddy used to work with this guy who builds engines so It would prob. be decently cheap...

Also I'm gunna swap the intake manifolds (I have a y8 that I cleaned up a while back), make a proper O2 wire extension, straighten out the exhaust, do the hood latch cable just a bunch of misc. stuff...

Hopefully I'll have time during the week to head up there at night and get little projects done.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
nonovurbizniz

Oh and to specifically address your question GT...

Honda vtec cams have extra lobes so there's a longer distance in between cam journels so they have more oportunity to break I think.

But it was a comp cams cam not a regrind so it was def. a decent cam.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:15 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i have seen a few broken cams in honda engines, mainly at the dealership parts counter

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #7
AzCivic

dang, that sucks. good luck on it getting it all done.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:35 AM   #8
thermal
Banning Machine

I almost did the same thing when I put my cams together. Luckily on B-series, it will not allow you to put the cam caps back on with the rockers, or one of the rockers upside down........

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #9
nonovurbizniz

Live and learn I guess... ugh.

Actually when I went back on sunday to get some things done and clean up the shop I realized (only after not being able to get the valve cover on... that I assembled it wrong AGAIN the other night... this time it was the exhaust rocker arm but it didn't contact anything thankfully... it would've sucked balls if I cracked 2 cams in a night.

So I'm gunna take the oportunity to get some stuff done. Just little stuff and stuff that's been sitting too long.

Anyway I painted my header last night which hopefully doesn't just burn off since I have no means of baking it other than starting the engine...

Other than that I gotta try to stop the bleeding and just get what I've already bought on the car.

I almost don't even want to buy another cam.