.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > Battle of the Sexes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2002, 09:47 PM   #1
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Keys to a Healthy relationship

1-Time together. Its important to spend quality time together. This gives you time to talk and relax with each other. Try nice dinners, long walks, or whatever else both of you have an interest in that allows you to talk.

2-That leads me to my next one. Communication, you have to be able to talk to each other. This will help you get things off your chest and allows you to learn more about how the other person, likes, dislikes, or whatever it maybe.

3-Trust, this is very important. It allows needed freedom in a relationship. Which will help keep some of the fighting, finger pointing, and name calling down.

4-Time apart, I know this doesnt sound right. But its true. Theres an old saying "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" well its true. It usually gives you time to realize how much that person means to you, and what life would be like without them.

5-You have to have respect for eachother. Keep in mind that a relationship is two sided and that men and women have different needs. Be open to new ideas, but also think before you speak. Try to give as much as you take, you want to try to keep a good balance.

6-Stay away from substance abuse. Not only do drugs and alcohol affect your health, they affect everything else in your world. It can put a serious strain on relationships. It clouds your mind which can cause serious mood swings, violence, anger and usually ends up hurting everyone around you.

Try these things, and they should help. Good Luck. If you have anymore thoughts please speak up.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:14 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

whatever you say but i like the forum

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 10:18 PM   #3
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
whatever you say but i like the forum

Glad to hear that.. Dont be afraid to use it either..
Old 02-27-2002, 10:24 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice

Glad to hear that.. Dont be afraid to use it either..

i'll use it when i grow up, and relize that i need gf.

Old 02-27-2002, 10:30 PM   #5
SpongeBobFastCar

Racing Rice - your post actually contained some very good information - some of which we tend to overlook or take for granted when we are actually in a relationship - especially long term.

I would also add this:

Do something to make them feel special. Buy an unexpected card or gift, leave a note on the car or on the table... something just to let you know they are on your mind. This is one of the first things to fizzle as a relationship lengthens - and one of the best ways to keep it fresh.

Just My Opinion...

Keep up the great info & thx.

SpongeBob
Old 03-01-2002, 12:53 PM   #6
Incubus

Time apart is a big thing, right along with trust and communication. I think as long as you have good communication, all else will fall into place.

Just remember people, you don't have to be attached/with someone all the time!
Take some time, a couple months or more, and find who you are without a significant other muddling things, then when you are with a bf/gf, you will have a better perspective on things.

That's my humble advice: You don't always have to be "taken", and there's nothing wrong with being single by choice!
(famous line from guys like me who can't get chicks lol )
Old 03-02-2002, 12:49 AM   #7
Niacin

I'd just like to post a couple of lessons from the trenches.

Don't tell him/her about your salary, don't let him/her handle it, and don't blow it all on him/her.

Don't expect him/her to be into all the same stuff you are, and don't force them.

Don't always act in his/her's best interests. There's a word for the other people in his/her life who did this, parents.

Don't be a dick. If you don't know quite what this means, you're not ready for the big world yet.

Don't commit early, but commit when you're ready. If you don't love him/her, don't say so just to get in the pants. You'll only be screwing with your own head.

Don't sleep with someone without running him/her by your friends first. They don't always have to approve, but you at least want someone else's input. You can drop her and pick up with your friends, but when you alienate your friends, you ain't got nothing left, and that's the sad, honest truth.

Don't date anyone you genuinely don't have any interest in.
You don't wanna be with Ms. Wrong when Ms. Right blunders her way past you, 'cause 99% of the time, you'll never catch up to her again.

When you go to pick him/her up, before you knock on the door, say their name to yourself three times. This way, you won't forget it at ackward moments.

This one is a little biased, and might piss some people off, but:
Don't date actresses/singers/drama queens/primadonnas/the self-absorbed/social climbers.

Girls nowadays are often more in love with the idea of being in love then being in love with you. Figure out which one it is, and act accordingly.

And, when you find that special someone, and make a life together, buy the most expensive, comfortable couch you can afford. Regardless of anything you may do right or wrong, you will wind up spending the night on it. And if you don't, something is seriously wrong.

Conflict is good. Constant battle isn't.

Cheers,
Max
Old 03-02-2002, 12:50 AM   #8
Niacin

Oh, and mints. Mints help.
Old 03-02-2002, 02:44 PM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Niacin you got it right bud. the stuff with the couch is funny as hell thou but true

Old 03-02-2002, 04:47 PM   #10
Incubus

Oh hell yeah! Mints are indispensible! I hate kissing someone with stank breath!

Just try and see where your partner is coming from, what his/her views are and understand why they act/say what they do if an kind of conflict arises.
Good communication is the key!

Also, remember at all times, DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF!!!

My last relationship lasted 9 months and we didn't fight once, but that's because we are/were both really laid back, chill people.
Old 05-17-2002, 11:57 AM   #11
wongfeihung

muahaha..hurray for mints!
Old 05-28-2002, 03:05 AM   #12
wannaridemycoupe

I totally agree with the whole separation thing...along with communication. I was with my b/f for 6 mons...and we spent the 1st month of our relationship together alot. Then he cheated on me with a 14 year old girl right after our 4 mon. anniversary. I think alot of it had to do with the fact that he always was a wosse and would never fight back....and she gave him what he wanted. Make sure that you agree on it....not just one person. And guys....when your chicks fight with you... yes we do love to win... but make sure you put your 2 cents in. I might sound like a freak.....but that's what broke ours up. Don't just give in to everything. But always talk about the resolution. I read this whole thread and it gave me some good tips....and yes its absolutly gross kissing someone with nasty breath....or a coffee tasting mouth. Thanks guys,

~ Stormy ~
Old 06-18-2002, 12:07 AM   #13
J-Landers

"Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty in your life." -Jeff Buckely

Understanding, compassion and patience are the keys. So long as you're open and willing to learn.

Glad I spent all that money on that B.A. in Psychology now! I can finally use it rather than spend my time detailing cars!
Old 06-24-2002, 09:16 AM   #14
cutiepy701

Hmm....I should probably post here more often
5 yrs wasted, 1 engagment.....and Im still alone

"Why do good girls like bad guys?" - DMX
Old 07-02-2002, 10:52 PM   #15
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by cutiepy701
Hmm....I should probably post here more often
5 yrs wasted, 1 engagment.....and Im still alone

"Why do good girls like bad guys?" - DMX

it's not too late. you are only 20. i'm sure you are gonna find someone

Old 08-02-2002, 11:24 PM   #16
mt.biker

dont date some who works more then 40 hours a week
Old 08-02-2002, 11:37 PM   #17
FeelMyRide

1. Have sex with him even if you don't want to
2. Don't ***** about his nasty habits (you have a couple too)
3. Let him go out with his friends and dont nag him like a mother
4. Its ok to "give" and not expect to receive
5. Have him teach you something he loves that you know nothing about (cars don't work for us girls )
6. If you have to be somewhere.. start gettin ready 5 hours in advance.. BE ON TIME FOR HIM!
7. Don't tell him everything like you would tell your girlfriends, he loves you but not every second of your day needs to be laid out

hahaha any other oneS?
Old 08-07-2002, 06:29 PM   #18
mt.biker

Quote:
Originally posted by FeelMyRide
1. Have sex with him even if you don't want to
2. Don't ***** about his nasty habits (you have a couple too)
3. Let him go out with his friends and dont nag him like a mother
4. Its ok to "give" and not expect to receive
5. Have him teach you something he loves that you know nothing about (cars don't work for us girls )
6. If you have to be somewhere.. start gettin ready 5 hours in advance.. BE ON TIME FOR HIM!
7. Don't tell him everything like you would tell your girlfriends, he loves you but not every second of your day needs to be laid out

hahaha any other oneS?

i just read over one more time today, where were you people a year ago. i would have been saved from my last relationship!

Julie, what you've said should be put in a book 'n given to girls when they're born and made to memorize it. you've just about summed up everything people!
Old 09-26-2002, 03:49 PM   #19
1stCvcVtchBaby02

Ya trust me i know how that is...had two long relationships that have gone down the drain because all the guy wanted to do was have fun or mess with me for fun but thats the way Vegas guys are. I am happy with my relationship now. been with him for over a yr and we have our issues but we work through them. He owns a domestic and i own an import hehe...but i love his car and he loves mine. I love both so it doesnt really matter. But remember one thing always be honest and dont play games. it gets u no where!
Old 10-18-2002, 12:40 PM   #20
crxb16hybrid

I got a good one to add........
If your married dont spend more time on your car than with your spouse ....Thats a big NO NO....
Old 10-27-2002, 11:37 AM   #21
Dr Drew

Like someone said b4. Dont be afraid to be single. It is nice to be single. I was single for almost 3 years. The last 8 months of that I dated on and off. Met a phyco who torments me still. That goes along with dont sleep with them unless you love them. Remember ppl, you dont have to tell someone you like them or you want to be with them for them to feel played. You have to tell them you DONT wanna be with them. I think I finally met someone. It is funny. The week after I said to myself 'F' them, i'm staying single for life. She came in the room. For all of those who are scared of online meetings, dont be just be cautious. I met Chelsea, she lives three miles from me. She doesn't go ANYWHERE that I do. She stayed in town, for lack of no license and I wouldn't. We would have never met if not for yahoo. I dont know if I added anything to help others, but this is my little story.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:51 AM   #22
Novtec1

Quote:
Originally posted by crxb16hybrid
I got a good one to add........
If your married dont spend more time on your car than with your spouse ....Thats a big NO NO....

been married for 8 years been together with her for 12. i have not one but TWO .... cars i work on. my wife has no problem with it. and to top it all off im in the military so thats even more time gone. my wife understand my "thing" for cars..hell shes even into it now. its all about understanding....

yes you have to give up working running down the autobaun watching egt's for the settings for the afc sometimes but you do it or she understands if i "finally get a day off i spend the day with my cars and the night with her. she would rather me be working on my car than running around in the club. thats just my .02
Old 11-10-2002, 08:53 AM   #23
crxb16hybrid

Thats true but what I was saying is dont spend every second on it ...They hate it even if they dont say anything .....When I started on my crx it was every spare second I had went into the thing and my wife started to hate that .....Dont get me wrong my wife loves to race and work on the cars with me but when your spending every day on it they tend to get fed up with it....
Old 11-27-2002, 05:32 PM   #24
SofaKingSmooth

Those are so true.....
Old 12-22-2002, 12:41 AM   #25
sleeperciv

I really like the tips you guys give in here.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:39 AM   #26
Zanza

Hmm, I'm a little late.

Its pretty easy to get a girl, but every hard to keep her around haha. So all the stuff they said before is a must.

I've learned to show your real side, even the bad side of you. Your bad habits, stuff that you like that your afraid to tell her about. Because if she's really for you then she'll look at your good traits and ignore your bad ones, leaving you comfortable all the time.