.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2003, 02:06 PM   #1
Wabster

I want a really good laptop

Where can i get one?
Old 09-11-2003, 03:12 PM   #2
pbateson

Dell
Old 09-11-2003, 04:15 PM   #3
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

MAC

avoid toshiba as if your life depends on it...Ive had mine 3yrs and Ive had 3 harddrive...it never even goes anywhere! Plus the mouse-stick thing just wanders on its own whenever you use it. The CD/DVD drive wont read cd-r that has data on them (so backup files have to be read on an external drive), and the battery sucks ass...even on the power-saver setting...
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 06:43 PM   #4
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I just got a really Dell laptop. I had a hard time choosing between a desktop replacement sized laptop and a small one, but in the end, I chose the bigger 8500 because of its features. It las a large aspect, 1960x1200 resolution screen that looks great. The battery lasts for about 3 hours just typing, and its a P4 2.6 w/ 512MB ram. I opted for the 4200go video card so I can play some games if I feel like it too.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 09:15 PM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

winbook. priced very low and i never had any problems with it in a year

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 11:05 PM   #6
DumbMoFo

IBM Think Pad
Old 09-12-2003, 11:00 PM   #7
slowEJ6

www.peoplepc.com
they have a nice bundle at a good price.

im thinking of selling off my PC and replacing it with a laptop as well.....but I hate the fact that laptops come bundled with so much BS software that I dont want - all I want is the laptop with at least a 60gb hdd, a burner, 512mb ram with the option of 1GB and a 15" monitor....even though id prefer to have a 17" monitor....
laptops are just so damned expensive, as far as ive seen....PC's arent, and they are fun to mod....imo *sigh*
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 01:29 AM   #8
blind34_1

unless you absolutly NEED a laptop for your work or whatever, do not buy one. buying a laptop simply for the coolness and convenience factor is just retarded in my opinion. All laptops no matter the brand are:
1) expensive as f**k to fix
2) prone to screen signal wires breaking (open and close the lids enough stresses the wires)
3) very easily to break the screens themselves
4) extra expensive to upgrade (gotta use special memory and harddrives, and as far as I know a proccessor swap is out of the question)
5) graphics suck. lcd is not fast enough yet for anything graphics intensive
6) those little nubby mouse things and touchpads break easily, and of course are a piece you must buy from the factory at a rediculous price
7) batteries are expensive, (only buy the lithium ion batteries, others are easier to mess up)
8) if any drive breaks, you can bet you'll pay at least triple the cost of a replacement desktop model.

...you get the picture. ANd even if you think the Dell Warranty will cover you when something goes wrong...well, all I can say is ask someone who has tried to deal with them.

My dad works on computers for the school district, and all the time he gets people asking him to fix there laptop because of one or more those problems I mentioned above. He tells them to ask Dell or Toshiba or IBM or whoever to fix it and the response is always something like "they won't do it because..." or "my warranty didn't cover..." or "they gave me the runaround" or " I did and its still broke" etc.

so all I'm saying is unless you ABSOLUTLY need one and have the money to drop on the ourageous initial cost and for repairs, don't do it.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 11:56 PM   #9
slowEJ6

my mom has had several laptops over the past 4yrs and has had absolutely no problems.....
the graphics suck??? ive played newer games on a few laptops and ive witnessed no problems with graphics, at all.....

guess it just depends what kind you get.

how is buying a laptop for convenience retarded??? god forbid something is convenient, right?
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 01:26 AM   #10
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by blind34_1
unless you absolutly NEED a laptop for your work or whatever, do not buy one. buying a laptop simply for the coolness and convenience factor is just retarded in my opinion. All laptops no matter the brand are:
1) expensive as f**k to fix
2) prone to screen signal wires breaking (open and close the lids enough stresses the wires)
3) very easily to break the screens themselves
4) extra expensive to upgrade (gotta use special memory and harddrives, and as far as I know a proccessor swap is out of the question)
5) graphics suck. lcd is not fast enough yet for anything graphics intensive
6) those little nubby mouse things and touchpads break easily, and of course are a piece you must buy from the factory at a rediculous price
7) batteries are expensive, (only buy the lithium ion batteries, others are easier to mess up)
8) if any drive breaks, you can bet you'll pay at least triple the cost of a replacement desktop model.

...you get the picture. ANd even if you think the Dell Warranty will cover you when something goes wrong...well, all I can say is ask someone who has tried to deal with them.

My dad works on computers for the school district, and all the time he gets people asking him to fix there laptop because of one or more those problems I mentioned above. He tells them to ask Dell or Toshiba or IBM or whoever to fix it and the response is always something like "they won't do it because..." or "my warranty didn't cover..." or "they gave me the runaround" or " I did and its still broke" etc.

so all I'm saying is unless you ABSOLUTLY need one and have the money to drop on the ourageous initial cost and for repairs, don't do it.

1) Fix it yourself... if it even breaks
2) Used many newer laptops without a single problem
3) Umm... how would you break the screen short of shoving something through it?
4) Processor swaps are possible, mem and HDDs are more expensive.
5) Graphics are great. My GF4 Ti4200 does well in games and the 1960x1200 resolution is great. Ghosting isn't a problem on this LCD at all.
6) No problems with pointing devices here, and they are under warranty. Dell customer service is hard to understand, but they help you out if you need it.
7) Batteries are somewhat spendy, but they don't go bad that fast, especially the Li ones
8) Drives are a little expensive, but not triple normal drives.

Yeah, laptops are a little more expensive, but the convenience is worth it. How is convenience retarded?

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 09:00 PM   #11
blind34_1

good luck trying to fix it yourself. ever tried?

I've seen several broken screens. stepping on it, dropping it, applying an extreme force to the backside, etc.

i guess i'm real touchy about my graphics. i cant stand lcd's for fast paced gaming.

as for my convenience argument, I think you should leave your computer at home, because there is really no reason to have a laptop other than the coolness factor. what I mean is the convenience shouldn't be in portability, it should be in cheapness and ease of repair (i.e desktop). but these days everything has to be portable.

there are people that can't live without their cell phones, and now they can't live without their laptops. I guess I'm not one of them. just my opinion.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:58 PM   #12
feanor

www.apple.com

Typing this on a Powerbook 15".. love it.

Bryan
Old 09-15-2003, 11:38 PM   #13
pbateson

There is not enough faster on Apple.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:39 PM   #14
juvenile

I just got myself a Compaq Presario 2170CA for a good deal at Best Buy (my new job)
It's a AMD Mobile XP 2200 clocked @ 1.8ghz
256MB DDR 2700 ram
40gig HD
cdrw/dvd rom
Ati Mobile Radeon 64MB (32 on board 32 shared)
I got it to use at school because I live 1.5hrs away from school and have three days with 3+ hour breaks in the middle. So it's just useful to have one.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:19 AM   #15
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
1) Fix it yourself... if it even breaks
2) Used many newer laptops without a single problem
3) Umm... how would you break the screen short of shoving something through it?
4) Processor swaps are possible, mem and HDDs are more expensive.
5) Graphics are great. My GF4 Ti4200 does well in games and the 1960x1200 resolution is great. Ghosting isn't a problem on this LCD at all.
6) No problems with pointing devices here, and they are under warranty. Dell customer service is hard to understand, but they help you out if you need it.
7) Batteries are somewhat spendy, but they don't go bad that fast, especially the Li ones
8) Drives are a little expensive, but not triple normal drives.

Yeah, laptops are a little more expensive, but the convenience is worth it. How is convenience retarded?

Agreed. He's referring to the cable inside that connects the screen to the motherboard. Older laptops didn't give enough slack or had bad routing and the cables 'wore out'.

Quote:
Originally posted by blind34_1
good luck trying to fix it yourself. ever tried?

I've seen several broken screens. stepping on it, dropping it, applying an extreme force to the backside, etc.

i guess i'm real touchy about my graphics. i cant stand lcd's for fast paced gaming.

as for my convenience argument, I think you should leave your computer at home, because there is really no reason to have a laptop other than the coolness factor. what I mean is the convenience shouldn't be in portability, it should be in cheapness and ease of repair (i.e desktop). but these days everything has to be portable.

there are people that can't live without their cell phones, and now they can't live without their laptops. I guess I'm not one of them. just my opinion.

I've fixed several(closing in on the hundreds I'm sure). The hardest part about laptop repair is remembering which screw goes where. If the screw is too long you could crack the case or short something out. Other than that, if you can work on a desktop, you should be able to handle minor laptop repairs.

I agree with LCDs & gaming. Most (desktop versions included) aren't fast enough or clear enough to give me the 'wow factor'.

Its a major convenience for me as an admin to have a laptop. I can store all my network info on it, have network diag programs, computer diag programs, etc all with me. And I know most sales people enjoy it. You almost have to have one in sales. There are a ton of uses for them.
Quote:
Originally posted by feanor
www.apple.com

Typing this on a Powerbook 15".. love it.

Bryan

Who's arm & leg did you trade in to buy it?
Quote:
Originally posted by pbateson
There is not enough faster on Apple.

Huh? Apple is currently the fastest on the market. Don't let the 'clock speed' numbers fool you. You can't beat a RISC processor based system.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:46 AM   #16
pbateson

Not too many PC games make for Mac and only one button on mouse.

I perfer for PC with Microsoft.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:59 PM   #17
Noeladams99

ALIENWARE They make some kick ass laptops!
Old 09-30-2003, 11:05 PM   #18
Jan

sony vaio superslim is the only way to go the best laptops for a PC user,now if youre looking for video power and music editing,Macs are the way to go .