Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2003, 12:44 PM   #1
GirlRacer

Dog Decision-help

So, ok...

My dog had a seizure about 2 wks. ago & I took her to the Vet last Friday. They ran some blood work & found out that the problem is something w/her liver. She has a blood vessel that isn't passing thru the liver, so some of the bad stuff is gettin into her system that the liver should be filtering out.

I can have this surgically fixed for like $800-$1,500 ( ) Or, we can change up her diet & hope that the problem doesn't worsen. The Dr. said that statistically though, they worsen & eventually die, but he has 1 poodle w/this problem that changed its diet & is fine now. But that's ONE case. Or, I can have her put down. She's only 1 yr. & 3 months old.

Thing is: when I got this dog, he leg was out of socket, so I spent like $300 to get that fixed, then I had her spayed (or whatever) which was like $50, plus the pet deposit at my apt. $300...

I've put so much money into her already...what do I do now???? I love her to death, so I don't think that putting her down is something I could do... I don't know, I NEED
Old 03-10-2003, 12:50 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I know that is she was my dog, I wouldn't put her down until the absolute end, when there's nothing more I could do.

Is the surgery close to 100% effective? That sounds like the way to go to be sure, but that's soooo much money.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 12:56 PM   #3
GirlRacer

yes, it's 100%. If she has it, she's fixed, problem solved. She'll live till she dies, or till I kill her. (hehe, j/k, she's my baby)
Old 03-10-2003, 12:57 PM   #4
ifeldwn02
3rd Gear

all i can say if u love her that much get the surgury and change the diet and hope that works but i would have to find out what the odds r of the surgury and diet working just to be sure u wouldnt spend all that money for u too still have to put ur dog to sleep not that long after sorry i cant really help
ifeldwn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 01:02 PM   #5
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by GirlRacer
yes, it's 100%. If she has it, she's fixed, problem solved. She'll live till she dies, or till I kill her. (hehe, j/k, she's my baby)

I really think that you should get her the surgery then. If you know you can fix her with it, $1000 is a small price to pay for a dog that will be around for the next 10+ years.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 01:29 PM   #6
firstgeardude

well its alot of money.. but if i were in a similar position, and paying for the surgury wouldnt put me under.. i'd go for it
Old 03-10-2003, 01:33 PM   #7
GirlRacer

Thanx guyz, this really helps, I guess what I'm lookin for is to make sure I'm not INSANE for spending that much on my dog...

I think my dad'll probly go apeshit...I think I'm just not going to tell him. I hate being dishonest tho...
Old 03-10-2003, 01:40 PM   #8
ohiochica

quinn, i once spent $400 on emergency guinea pig surgery. so i dont think your crazy at all! my animals are my babies! just be very cautious in what they do. get a second opinion. my lab had eye surgery for what the vet said was antropia ($3,000) and it later turned out he just had allergies! and teh vet really botched him up! be carefull but i would say go for it. if you need any help with diets let me know, i have done several science projects/studies in regards to this.

Ohio HST members please read this
ohiochica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 01:44 PM   #9
GirlRacer

Ya, my vet gave me numbers of a couple surgeons to call & talk to about this problem.

If anyone cares to see my lil piglet, there's a pic of her here: http://hometown.aol.com/girlracerfive0/

Hopefully that'll work.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:46 PM   #10
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

I'd pay it without a doubt.

everyone loves the turbizzim.
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 04:50 PM   #11
firstgeardude

Quote:
Originally posted by GirlRacer
Hopefully that'll work.

your link just leads to a blank page
Old 03-10-2003, 06:20 PM   #12
Shot 2 Hel

could the surgery be done at a later date. If so i would try the diet thing and if it dosent get any better then do the surgery
Old 03-10-2003, 07:29 PM   #13
HNDAGRL

Well, this really shows that pets are expensive and you have to think about the cost of exams/shots/injuries/diseases/illness you have to treat.I work in a Vet. Hospital and I know that its pricey to care for your dog/cat even if its healthy.I think you should see if your Vet. will allow you to make monthy or weekly payments.If you do euthanize our dog...it WILL cost you a fee to do so.But I think you should get a second opinion quick incase the dog gets worse...I hope not.But try the diet and also get a second opinion from a another Vet. and also see what the charges would be at his facility.But I would consider euthensia as a last means only to a dog that is suffering.Its sad to see animals be put to sleep for no good reason.I love animals and I wish I could help all of them.Remember an animal depends on you, it can't decide what is best for it.It realies on you.If u have any questions u may pm me.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:33 PM   #14
HNDAGRL

I should post a price chart/fees for you guys...$1500 isn't even that much as to other fees I've seen and heard of.For example an old employee had a dog and got a hold of a towel it swallowed pieces of it...the vet. had to open the dogs whole midsection and open the intestines and bowel, etc....can u imagine.Well it would have cost her approx. $6000 but the vet did it for next to nothing.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:45 PM   #15
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Ive spent hundreds on my dog too...just spent $500 a few months ago for her to get surgery on her bladder (this is the 2nd for the same thing)... I love her to death and no matter the cost Im always gonna help her if I can. It might cost a lot but if it means that I dont get a swap...then I dont get a swap. Shes my dog and I love her...good ol' Katie...
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:14 AM   #16
HNDAGRL

Now thats true love....awww.....
Old 03-11-2003, 07:50 AM   #17
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I hate to say this because I know how hard it is to put a pet down, but that maybe your best bet.

I can tell you from experience, that if you have had this many problems already chances are there are only going to be more down the road that will cost you even more money.

Im sorry to hear about you having to make this decision because I know how hard it is. Good luck with your choice.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:02 AM   #18
spoogenet

It's probably getting repetitive now but I'd say to get a 2nd opinion and in the mean time do a diet change. If the vet thinks you can try the diet change and decide on surgery later then that would probably be a good way to go. If surgery is deemded necessary immediately, I'd say go for it.

The first one was due to an illness that the vet should have recognized, but didn't. The vet recommended putting him down then we later found out what was wrong with him when our other ferret got the same treatable and common disease. Unfortunately she got mentally fried and went blind, eventually we had to put her down as well but she lived a few years past her pal. Needless to say I'm still upset about it......

b
Old 03-12-2003, 12:06 PM   #19
GirlRacer

Thank you guys. All of this really really helps!