::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2003, 09:57 AM   #1
calicojack

engine management

Hey all, got a question for you. Im working on a custom turbo job for my D16y5- Ive got just about all the hardware but where Im lacking is in the management dept. Id like to get away with spending as little scratch as I can- moneys tight- so what do you guys suggest I should do? For starters Im not going to be running very much boost- around 5 nothing over 8.
calicojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 01:40 PM   #2
calicojack

would a turbo chip be enough?
Old 07-27-2003, 12:37 PM   #3
thermal
Banning Machine

Turbo chips are waste of money. You have to understand that once you subject your ride to Force Induction, you will have to do some tuning. I'm constantly tuning mine. A turbo chip is a preset management. You wanna have some tuning capabilties. My advice for the time being is to use a boost dependent FMU with a minimum 10:1 ratio. Trust me man, you will want to be able to tune your set-up later on which means, you will have to invest on something that is better. The FMU will suffice your low boost application for the time being. Later on, invest on a tunable system or at least a Hondata.....
Goodluck..........

BTW, all a "chip" does for the most part is modify your A/F ratio. You would much rather invest in an AFC which is tunable.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 02:59 PM   #4
calicojack

hey thanks- yeah I no Im going to have to get something better down the road. Idealy what I want to get the basics set up for low boost, then upgrade from there- but I also wnat to do it right and not with a kit or anything like that. So what would happen if I just installed what I have now- t3, intercooler and I have some 390cc injectors and try to run that? Or should I put it on hold untill I cant get some money together so I can get something better in the management dpt.? Also what would you suggest as far as FUM. Cheap would be good but I do want something that is not going to blow me up
Old 07-28-2003, 06:42 PM   #5
thermal
Banning Machine

Hold up man, if you have a 99 civic EX, then you should have a D16y8, unless you swapped it.
What is the A/R trim on your T3? You should be okay with running a minimum of 10:1 FMU at low boost 5-8 psi. You can get the most popular one and cheapest one I've seen, which is the Vortech FMU. I have a 12:1 in my garage if you're interested. I'll sell it to you. You shold be okay with that simple set-up, especially running with that 390cc's even with stock fuel pump. I was running the stock 240cc, stock FPR, stock fuel pump, and 12:1 Vortech FMU at 8 psi boost for about 3 months. No problem whatsoever. I still ran rich at WOT. I just didnt like boost transition that is why I'm using the AFC hack....... Goodluck and keep us posted...

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 12:15 AM   #6
Dr Drew

First, let me say that your engine will only run as well as your engine management is tuned. Bad tuning, bad running engine. Bad tuning can destroy an engine in seconds.

For really low boost you can 'get away with' a FMU and stock injectors. I'd recommend using the stock injectors over the 390's when not using an AFC or other device for tuning. I say this because the computer is calibrated to run the 240's... With injectors that are about 60% larger, you're going to spray 60% more fuel. If other words, it will run like crap.

I'd say wait and boost after you have the cash to boost with a good tune.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:58 PM   #7
calicojack

Yeah my bad- it is a y8- and thanks for the info- good food for thought not sure what way Im going to go but I will let you guys know