Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2003, 02:16 AM   #1
Duckydos

Which, if any, Hondas have these?

http://www.newhousenews.com/archive/jensen061203.html

Apparently, these electronic data recorders can track information leading up to a crash; including speed, gas/brake pattern, and if seatbelts were worn. In this instance, they were able to use the information from the EDR to convict the dude.

I have heard about AAA wanting to put those black-boxxes in cars that would allow parents to spy on their children's driving habits. Also those systems that use GPS to make sure that truckers are staying on route and on time... but hadn't heard anything about this.

Anyone know which Honda's might have these little boxxes in them? Is it something the auto-industry tries to keep on the hush-hush or what?

-Ducky
Old 06-18-2003, 03:34 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i heard some of the vettes and the gm cars have those. no clue on hondas

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 06:48 AM   #3
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
i heard some of the vettes and the gm cars have those. no clue on hondas
Old 06-18-2003, 11:51 AM   #4
nonovurbizniz

I think gm is the only one doing this... I KNOW they are in vettes... my dad's partner almost got his warrantie voided over it... he dropped it off and they were saying they weren't going to cover a warrantied item because he had been over 100 mph...

He was like... "IT'S A CORVETTE... WHY ELSE DID I BUY IT"
Old 06-18-2003, 12:17 PM   #5
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
I think gm is the only one doing this... I KNOW they are in vettes... my dad's partner almost got his warrantie voided over it... he dropped it off and they were saying they weren't going to cover a warrantied item because he had been over 100 mph...

He was like... "IT'S A CORVETTE... WHY ELSE DID I BUY IT"

Yeah, thats just ignorant! WTF, why make a car that will produce almost 400 hp and void the warrenty for speeding.. I dont get these manufactuers sometimes.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:22 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

because they can and you can barely touch them.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 12:48 PM   #7

what if it was in one of those states where there is no speed limit, but is enforced depending on the weather?

i remember a guy got a ticket for going over 100 in the rain, but he was a professional racer and faught it...and won.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:01 PM   #8
pauls-si

Having a damn "black box" in the car would bug the shit out of me. It's like having big brother watching me....maybe even an invasion of privacy.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:22 PM   #9
nonovurbizniz

my landlords friend was one of the people that almost got screwed by one of the car rental places... he rented one and they go "we only have one left with the gps system on it"..

He's like whatever fine... 2 weeks later he gets his cc bill and it's got like 300 bucks on there for the car... he calls up and asks why and they're like... "you exceeded the speed limit 10 times... we charge a 20 dollar fine evertime you speed"...

He Flipped out and soon enough it was on the news (from other people not him.) long story short they returned his money and stopped doing it.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:48 PM   #10
spoogenet

I believe Acura has them.

I remember Rob making a comment that he took his car in for some service and the guys mentioned "there are some pretty fast 0-60 times on here".....

Edit below:

On the speed thing. If the warranty does not specifically mention that the car cannot be used for racing, then they cannot void your warranty for exceeding the speed limit. What if you autox or take it to the track on a weekend? There's no speed limit there....if it's a warrantable problem they must be capable of proving that the customer caused it to fail. Of course depending on the part it could easily be broken by racing and that would be a way out of warranting it. However they can't just drop you due to speed unless the warranty has it written in there or you broke it with too high a demand on the vehicle.

b
Old 06-20-2003, 12:34 PM   #11
pimpinprelude

i cant remember what state has no speed limit (in the towns thay do) but yea i want to move there.. and the black box thing... yea dude, it is like big brother watching you..stuped soon all cars will have them.. the government well be useing them to spy on ppl.. if thay arent aredy.. jeez thats just stuped..
pimpinprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 07:07 PM   #12
02_Si
2nd Gear

Tracking your speed in GPS? that is fuc |< ing dumb... is that legal is the STATES?
Old 06-21-2003, 06:30 PM   #13
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice

I saw an article on this stuff in the wall st journal - honda wants to make their car's safer so drivers feel more comfortable driving in an "suv world".
Old 06-21-2003, 06:39 PM   #14
Kyle
elyK

thats the gayest thing i've ever heard...
even if that guy was speeding...it's still their fault that they died...they shouldn't of pullte out of their ****ing driveway when a car was coming

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 12:51 PM   #15
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by 02_Si
Tracking your speed in GPS? that is fuc |< ing dumb... is that legal is the STATES?

Yes. It's a rental car, they can do what they want. They also use it to ensure that you didn't go out of the country and to locate cars that are missing. Think of it as a Lo-jack type system.

There's a toll bridge in NJ or NY where supposedly they look at the time difference between the 2 ends of the bridge and fine you for speeding if you made the trip too fast.

b
Old 06-22-2003, 05:34 PM   #16
chase

Quote:
Starting with the 1999 model year, all GM vehicles had EDRs programmed to record about five seconds of pre-crash information. That included whether the driver was accelerating or braking and the speed of the vehicle, according to a study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Quote:
While all vehicles with air bags use EDRs, other automakers have not been as quick to increase the amount of information recorded

Quote:
where company officials say they generally have limited capability on their EDR systems.

its not a black box and shit like that. its actually inside the cars ecu on some cars and inside the body ecu on others. and dont let anyone lie to you, engineers can see so much shit that like i as a tech cannot see that its not even funny. and if they are at the shop working on a car, they will even ask you to leave them alone if they are in a sensitive area with their laptop. they can see stuff that would blow your mind to know. from emmissions to driving habits.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:27 PM   #17
HndaTch627

if you guys had ever seen what the government wants to do for OBD-3 you'd never buy a new car EVER again.

jeremy
Old 06-22-2003, 10:06 PM   #18
chase

yep i know.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:21 PM   #19
Ty's Si

I believe some newer Hondas do have these.

A friend of mine said he was talking to a Honda tech who told him that a kid brought in a '02 Si for problems with the clutch. They went into the ECU or "black box" type device and were able to tell that prior to his clutch going out, he had redlined and dropped the clutch in every gear prior.

I'm not sure which other Honda models have them, but I'm sure some do.

I'll ask my friend about it again and see if he remembers any other specifics from their conversation...
Old 06-24-2003, 09:51 PM   #20
chase

read this part, 'While all vehicles with air bags use EDRs, other automakers have not been as quick to increase the amount of information recorded' very important. all of it including how much info the makers will admit to being able to see.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:39 PM   #21
Ty's Si

Quote:
Originally posted by chase
read this part, 'While all vehicles with air bags use EDRs, other automakers have not been as quick to increase the amount of information recorded'

This leads me to believe that most cars with airbags have some sort of recording device. The only difference is how much information is recorded and how much of that Honda really wants you to know they have access to.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:09 AM   #22
chase

not most--all that have airbags have them. ill post reasons why later--its late and i worked till 10:00 after starting at 7 this morning.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:01 PM   #23
SolPol

Quote:
Originally posted by pimpinprelude
i cant remember what state has no speed limit (in the towns thay do) but yea i want to move there.. and the black box thing... yea dude, it is like big brother watching you..stuped soon all cars will have them.. the government well be useing them to spy on ppl.. if thay arent aredy.. jeez thats just stuped..

Montana. It rules.