Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2003, 09:46 PM   #1
AndrewGTR86

Look

Ok,

I took your advice I'm not going to get a pre modded car But that leaves me with a question. Can you buy A good car around 3200. What kind should I look for an yes I want a v8 killer.lol or somthing nice an dependable. What should I get? I want a import.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:55 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

if you want a v8 killer for that much...keep saving
look for a 1st gen dsm (eclipse or talon) to go fast for relatively cheap
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 01:18 AM   #3
Loki

The car that I've always thought that gets you the most bang for the buck at around the $3g mark is the Ford Probe GT. I almost got a sweet deal on a 93 for $2300 but then got the civic (long story). But they're relatively quick and they look cool. If I were you I would look for one of those.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:20 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

heh, man i don't know where you live, how the prices are around your area. here in cleveland 3200 gets you a decent mid size car(accord, altima, camry etc) with around 100k miles, and a pretty good compact car (civic, corrolla etc) with fewer miles. also buying a used car is like a lottery: you can get a pretty good deal and the car to go a long time, or a car that will fall apart after 2 weeks. remeber they are used, and you won't know too much about their history, or what they've been going to.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 06:57 PM   #5
MAXed Out
6th Gear

Yep Ford Probe GT's are awesome. they have like a 2.5 V6 and the car is pretty light so it will def, smoke most cars but again it's not an import but if u wanted it to be an import go with an turboed 1st gen eclipse or talon.
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
MAXed Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:59 PM   #6
Civickid0to60

horray for probe GTs!@!!!! i have one and its easy to mod, light, and has a v6....what more can u want?
Old 11-11-2003, 07:46 PM   #7
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I thought the good Probe GTs were only made between '95-'967 or something like that. Those were the ones that were quicker than shit (I wouldn't exactly say fast...but damn quick). If you went old school there's always the turbo Probe!
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:45 PM   #8
nonovurbizniz

The older ford probe turbo's were "gt"'s.

My buddy had one... it was ok but nothing sick...

The v6 one's are ok I guess... but I was never too impressed by anything but the looks.

Oh and is that a ford or mazda engine?
Old 11-11-2003, 10:46 PM   #9
nonovurbizniz

p.s.

I'm with pdiggity...

The 1st gen talon will RAPE just about any other car and it's MUCH cheaper in most cases...

A civic wouldn't have shot in hell against one and you'd pay more than double what you would for a talon for a civic.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:34 PM   #10
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

If you're not married to imports/sport compacts, Mustangs are good provided you get the right year. An '87-'93 5.0 LX would be pretty cheap, runs about a 14.0 stock (manual), and is insanely cheap and easy to modify vs. many imports. Just figured as the only avid domestic poster I should throw that in.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 11-12-2003, 12:31 AM   #11
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
If you're not married to imports/sport compacts, Mustangs are good provided you get the right year. An '87-'93 5.0 LX would be pretty cheap, runs about a 14.0 stock (manual), and is insanely cheap and easy to modify vs. many imports. Just figured as the only avid domestic poster I should throw that in.

and they are very fun to drive once you get a different rear end, clutch and exaust on it. you'll be sliding that ass end out every time you really get on it. i love the feel of tq pinning you to your seat. hoestly, the only thing keeping me from getting one is the look. no offence to anyone who owns one, but it just looks like too old of a car, and its impossible to find a nice clean one anymore. my friend had a 92 lx 5.0 and it was a beast. wouldnt break down for anything, ran good 95% of the time, didnt exactly like fast sharp turns, but hell.... i doubt many people really take advantage of how well some of our hondas can handel.

strait line speed you cant beat a v8 $1 for $1. turbo's come close... but all motor thats as fast as a turbo car will get more credit in my book any day.

my car is just doing good as an all around good car with mediocore speed (mids 14's) and decent/good handling, but if i wanted a strait line dragster.... there would be 8 cyclinders and rwd.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 02:32 AM   #12
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
and they are very fun to drive once you get a different rear end, clutch and exaust on it. you'll be sliding that ass end out every time you really get on it. i love the feel of tq pinning you to your seat. hoestly, the only thing keeping me from getting one is the look. no offence to anyone who owns one, but it just looks like too old of a car, and its impossible to find a nice clean one anymore. my friend had a 92 lx 5.0 and it was a beast. wouldnt break down for anything, ran good 95% of the time, didnt exactly like fast sharp turns, but hell.... i doubt many people really take advantage of how well some of our hondas can handel.

strait line speed you cant beat a v8 $1 for $1. turbo's come close... but all motor thats as fast as a turbo car will get more credit in my book any day.

my car is just doing good as an all around good car with mediocore speed (mids 14's) and decent/good handling, but if i wanted a strait line dragster.... there would be 8 cyclinders and rwd.

Actually the rear steer is easily fixed. Upper and lower rear control arms for around $150 these days. Shocks and struts help too...and the sky's the limit on those. The GT's do look way too boxy (for the '87-'93 models), but the LXs look a bit more modern. Plus they weigh less and go faster. If you want wicked good handling, it's only a phone call away at maximum motorsports, Steeda, Griggs, etc. My car (with the new K-member, panhard bar, and torque arm with coil overs all around) has pulled just over a full G on a skid pad with good tires. But hey....a cam, intake, and head porting for under $1K means 13s (probably mid 13s with good driving). Add exhaust and a good clutch (which you don't always need) and you're looking at good numbers for cheap.

Old 11-12-2003, 02:51 AM   #13
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

heh, here is my opinion on cars:
you want a straight line speed car you get a rwd and v8
you want handling you get an AWD car
you want something cheap, reliable and go from point a to point b you get a fwd.

amd for hondas i think they are the best handling cars out of the box in their price range, and i used to drive a lot of cars (many times over 100 a night)

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote