::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2002, 10:52 AM   #1
mellojoe

purchase

I'm looking for a used Civic, and I'm just trying to learn just as much as I can before I begin shopping.

I hear that I should stay away from the 96-98s because of the single cam setup. Do all 99's and later use a dual cam?

What other years should I stay away from?

What years (within the last 5 or 6) were great buys?

I'm not looking for a new car, as you may have guessed, so don't worry about suggesting an '02 or '03.

If you guys know of a place where I can find engine specs from the earlier 94 to present Civics (and Accords, too), let me know, too. I'm new to Honda.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:03 AM   #2
4jacks

I was under the impression that only the SI's were DOHC all the Ex's Hx's Lx's And Dx's are SOHC.

But anyway. Hondas are pretty darn reliable, try to have your mechanic to some checks on it before you purchase anything, it'll caost around $40 but it's worth it.

Good luck and let us know.

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 11:21 AM   #3
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Yes only the Si is a DOHC the rest are still single cams. Hell I think all were sohc until the 99-00 Si even the old Si was a sohc.

All civics are basically the same (minus dohc Si). True the EX and HX have VTEC but it doesnt mean that they are that much faster than those that are the vtec have nots. If you can get a civic of any year its going to be fine. If later on you decide that you want it to go faster just swap the motor from something thats faster say from an Si or an Integra...Hell some even take Prelude engines and drop em in...but I think thats a little extreme...plus its too much work to get it in . If you can find a Civic 92-00 that even has 1 jillion miles on it fine. Chances are it will still run long enough for you to get a new engine that has more power...plus you'd get the car for next to nothing.

If you want specs check out www.JDMfan.com they have specs for most if not all Civics...or they did the last time I checked (that was a while ago).

(Now someone is supposed to come in and say "Dont buy a car that has that many miles, even if you are doing a swap" )
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 11:49 AM   #4
oc civic

92-95 hatch +b18 + juice+ tire equals fast car
Old 12-05-2002, 03:56 PM   #5
mellojoe

I'm reading a lot about engine swaps. Is that the way you guys get power out of these Honda's? Engine swaps?

Hmmm. I don't have the time to lose my car while I do an entire swap. I don't mind losing it for a day while I redo an exhaust system. And I've even considered the time it will take to add a full turbo setup...

But an engine swap? Hmm...

Have any of you out there bought a wreck with a blown motor and a new engine separate? How's the cost involved with something like that? It just doesn't make sense to buy a car with engine just to buy a new engine.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:22 PM   #6
iRACEmyCTR

the engine swap is very extreme. make sure you are very serious about your power gains before you drop $5000 for a JDM engine. Unless you wanna race and go really fast you can get decent gains from the easy stuff like intake, header, exhaust... again engine swapping is pretty extreme, there are maybe 2-3 people in my area with swapped engines (out of like 1000 tuners)
Old 12-05-2002, 04:26 PM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by iRACEmyCTR
there are maybe 2-3 people in my area with swapped engines (out of like 1000 tuners)

Only 2-3?!?!? I guess most of them aren't very serious about power then. Most Civics are slow w/o boost or a swap.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 05:57 PM   #8
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Only 2-3?!?!? I guess most of them aren't very serious about power then. Most Civics are slow w/o boost or a swap.

im getting a swap soon.. but as for now i have juice (no swap or boost) adn have taken out quite a few cars ranging from camaros, to swapped coupes...
Old 12-06-2002, 12:48 PM   #9
Lovebuzz13

Quote:
Originally posted by mellojoe
I'm reading a lot about engine swaps. Is that the way you guys get power out of these Honda's? Engine swaps?

Hmmm. I don't have the time to lose my car while I do an entire swap. I don't mind losing it for a day while I redo an exhaust system. And I've even considered the time it will take to add a full turbo setup...

But an engine swap? Hmm...

Have any of you out there bought a wreck with a blown motor and a new engine separate? How's the cost involved with something like that? It just doesn't make sense to buy a car with engine just to buy a new engine.

Yes, it's only the newer SI's that have DOHC.

I have a 98 EX and that has SOHC.

For changing out your exhaust...that shouldn't even take you a day. It took me about an hour.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:14 PM   #10
blind34_1

What you could do, if money is a problem, get a later model honda. 88-91's are a good range and very cheap. If you are lucky enough to come across a hatchback in that year, grab it. You'll have a great platform on which to build if you become serious.

When it comes to engine swaps, yes its expensive, but worth it especially if a higher mileage engine. For example: my car = 1990 civic si hatch. lotsa miles but the body is in good considtion. A ZC swap (JDM engine, cheapest) will run me about 1500 for everything, not including any labor. A swap like this would probably take anywhere from 2-5 days depending on your mechs experience.

But again, you can find a gen that doesn't need an engine swap right now. My g/f bought a 93 del sol (nonvtec)with 80,000 miles on it. It's real clean and runs great. No engine swap for her. Not great engine output, but still its decent.

I'm not a traitor or anything, but check out toyota's and nissans. You can find gems in those brands too.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 02:08 PM   #11
mellojoe

Thanks for the tips.

It just seems my wants far exceed my budget. *sigh* When is that ever new?

Oh well, I'm gonna keep looking.
Old 12-07-2002, 04:13 PM   #12
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

you could always go with a 92-00 EX and turbo it with a simple bolt on kit from greddy. that would give you pretty good hp. Granted you wont be blazin with 10 sec 1/4 mile times but its basically the same hp ratio as to a swap and its easier to do (installed in maybe 10hrs tops)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote