::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2003, 12:34 AM   #1
calls97

what do yall think

Of the apexi n1 muffler or what is the best that I could get my freind wonts me to buy his haymanie for 100 but I dont know what to get thanks
Old 01-05-2003, 10:09 AM   #2
oc civic

i have an N-1 catback.. and my thoughts are this.. unless you are getting the WHOLE system don't bother.. bolting some huge muffler up to that TINY stock exhaust piping will do one thing.. MAKE IT LOUDER.. it will add minimal if ANY power...i do STRONGLY recomend the whole cat bac.. ive had it for like 3 years and it is still together.. NO problems
Old 01-05-2003, 10:28 AM   #3
calls97

I am getting the whole cat back but I am getting custom my dad can make it better than allot of people and then I will have 2 1'2 from cat back
Old 01-05-2003, 11:15 AM   #4
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by calls97
I am getting the whole cat back but I am getting custom my dad can make it better than allot of people and then I will have 2 1'2 from cat back

no disrespect but i find it unlikely that your dad, can cobat the extensive DOLLARS and R&D time apex'i puts into the development of there exhaust... he has the ability to mandrel bend things?? thats VERY cool, but still i would NOT go as far as to say better than one of the biggest tuners in japanese automotive industry.. another thing is materials.. my apex cat back pipe has some coating.. that has stood up VERY well to things liek corosion.. they are NOT cheap.. but that price tag gives you a LOT more than just some pipe slapped onto a muffler (not saying your dad is incompitant)

if sound is the desired result.. then yeah just do what you are saying.. if long term quality and performance is the issue.. id save and get the whole thing..
Old 01-05-2003, 01:40 PM   #5
nonovurbizniz

spending that kind of money on an exhaust is just about as stupid as you can be. a custom job would be just as good and even if it doesn't last you could make 2-5 of them for the price of 1 purchased exhaust.

as far as r&d dollars go... ya it's really worth speding 3-500 dollars to get a whole 2-3 more horsepower than the homemade/custom 100 dollar exhaust.

as far as longevity if that's your concern you can get the pipes your dad bends coated. There are MILLIONS of coatings that are FAR better than whatever N-1 is using (not like coating an custom exhaust is really worth it.)

WHOLLY CRAP i just looked up the price for that friggin thing YOU MUST BE KIDDING 599 for a cat back your nuts if you bought that thing.

also it reduces your ground clearance because of the straight line design. and this also basically eliminates the need to mandrel bend. there is 1 bend in the whole exhaust. just weld in an elbow to 2 straight pipes and you have the same exhaust for 100 bucks max.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:27 PM   #6
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
There are MILLIONS of coatings that are FAR better than whatever N-1 is using

you have NO idea what they use btu yet you STILL make the statement that there are millions better... think about how dumb that sounds.... "well i dont know what they use but i KNOW that i could get one better".... right SURE you can

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
WHOLLY CRAP i just looked up the price for that friggin thing YOU MUST BE KIDDING 599 for a cat back your nuts if you bought that thing.

Actualy when SPI in NY used to be the sole distributer for apex on the east coast Wilson from SPI hooked up a GREAT deal.. i paid a little over $350... that was quite some time ago.. and its still perfect..

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz also it reduces your ground clearance because of the straight line design. and this also basically eliminates the need to mandrel bend. there is 1 bend in the whole exhaust. just weld in an elbow to 2 straight pipes and you have the same exhaust for 100 bucks max.

what reduces your ground clearance??? do you have any idea what you are talkign about... the N-1 follows the STOCK exhaust route... the differance is the larger diameter and MANDREL bends... DUDE STRAIGHT PIPE TO THE MUFFLER??? WTF that would not even work.. at all.. SO SO SO SO ghetto.. im SO glad there are people like you.. people who rig shit up JUST make quality shit that much better
Old 01-05-2003, 06:27 PM   #7
iRACEmyCTR

werd is born
Old 01-05-2003, 06:31 PM   #8
iRACEmyCTR

i custom bent pipes on my civic. it is the worst idea ever in the history of all things, EVER! the car vibrates, i get a headache its so loud, and it may appear to be equal in performance to something apexi makes, but think about it: do the thousands of employees at apexi design the N1 and say "wow that looks tight yo" and then make 10000 of them and ship em off? or do you think they might be bored and decide to do some tests or stuff so they know that the PROFESSIONAL racers using their product are getting the best flow possible?? Listen to the 2 dorks from NJ on this one, we know what we're talking about.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:22 PM   #9
calls97

well is there anywhere I can get the apexi for like 300 or less I dont have 5 or more to be speonding but I can I would like to know
Old 01-05-2003, 08:31 PM   #10
iRACEmyCTR

you wont find that kinda deal unless you know someone, maybe ebay? but you never know there... i think there might be a good auction on ebay you should check out though http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=187630 7951
Old 01-05-2003, 08:53 PM   #11
drumboy69

Re: Exhaust

May I suggest that you forego your dad's "custom exhaust" and spend some money on a quality cat-back for your honda. You have no idea how a home made exhaust is going to sound, how loud it's gonna be, or how it's gonna hold up (not to even mention whether it's actually going to make your car slower by robbing it of horsepower.)

I put a custom cat-back on my '99 Civic EX made by OBX Racing that was purchased from http://www.massive motorsports.com/ and I am really happy with it. Yes, it's louder, but it sounds great and the car has a noticeably faster pick up. It's a good quality exhaust that you should be able to get for about $350 (shipping included.)

You will be much happier with it in a long run and it will save you money as well. Everybody has a different budget, so spending money on a $600 Apex'i exhaust was out of the question for me. No doubt, Apex'i exhausts are some of the best systems out there, but to get one for an older honda would be an overkill, in my humble opinion.

So, save some money on install and have your dad put a quality cat-back exhaust on your car instead of trying to make one for you instead.

You will be glad you did.

drumboy69
Old 01-08-2003, 07:20 PM   #12
sohc_vtec 2NR

i personally have been eyein' the GREDDY EVO cat-back exhaust for my 99 ex. anybody have the GREDDY EVO exhaust? was it a good investment?
Old 01-08-2003, 07:30 PM   #13
silver

the evo exhaust is nice and so is the apexi
for a relatively low hp vehicle(under 200) a custom vs. manufactured exhaust will not make a huge difference in power output. The factor with an exhaust is back pressure and velocity. Nobody metalshop or muffler shop is going to measure the velocity of the exhaust coming from the motor, apexi or greddy or hks will. They will measure the velocity at the beginning and then at the end and see how much is lost. They will then try to reduce loss through bends, coating, piping diameter, and length. This will begin to make a huge difference with higher hp motors and forced induction systems. So don't be a moron and say that a custom is as good as anything else. If it was then these companies would not be in business.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote