Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2002, 04:55 PM   #1
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

electric turbo - trash or treat?

Alright, Ive seen some of these new electric turbos and superchargers online, some look bad and others look worse. (You can see a lot and the two styles on eBay now). Im wondering if anyone has tried them yet. I'd be willing to test them out if people want. Post a reply and if enough people will send me a dollar to add to the cause of tests, that'd be great. A learning experience for only a dollar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i-1.jpg (7.4 KB, 108 views)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:47 PM   #2
ripthesystem

OK..

this is honestly the first time I've heard of these- but since I've dealt with turbo(on my Audi) before I couldn't help but look into them..

so correct me if I'm wrong- not the one pictured above but all the others, like this one:

or this one:

appear to be fans that run in your Air intake that make a Cold Air Intake a sort of extra Ram Cold Air Intake.. at a very high rate at that (240-600cfms!!)

so if I'm right these aren't really Turbo or superchargers at all but a unique Air system.. Which could be cool- definately someone here should try this- or else I will

ripthesystem
Old 07-23-2002, 06:38 PM   #3
thermal
Banning Machine

go for it, the blower theory sort of fall into this category....it may work......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 06:53 PM   #4
ripthesystem

OK- back again.
thought about it. did some more reading... it is a sort of RAM air.
aparently been around for a while too.

A couple of the manufacturers:
http://www.turbozet.com/
www.electricsupercharger.com

Pretty sure that it should work OK. Just not really much of a boost.. maybe 5-20HP w/ an AEM CAI.. (just a guess) A lot of those guys on eBay are claiming 60HP--- whatever.

Also stared a lot at the first picture up there and couldn't figure out what it looked like.. then BAM! it looks like a leaf blower with the long hose removed... which is interesting since the cheap ones can blow air around 125mph

so possible benefits-
increase HP
better mileage?

possible negatives-
neither of the above positives occur
noise(60cfm computer fans can be 50db- what about a 240-600cfm fan? deafening?)
might have to cut CAI to install..

just my thoughts here on a boring evening at work
ripthesystem
Old 07-23-2002, 07:01 PM   #5
pdiggitydogg

Oh man I thought leaf blower the instant i saw the thing. And yeah those are one of the things i saw. The other kind was the pic I have. So alright, I'm going to just ask for you opinions: (leave one if you got one) Should I try one of these things? Not from ebay of couse, maybe from one of the companies that were listed before. Oh, and I found this one too (www.fast-technology.com) its basically the same idea but the turbine in the filter head.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:07 AM   #6
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

If you try it.. Let us know how it works..
Old 07-24-2002, 12:11 PM   #7
AzCivic

GO FOR IT!!!
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 12:40 AM   #8
20civic01

i think it would be worth it...even if you only got like 2psi boost. I mean...it's relatively cheap and it's the poorman's way to FI. 2psi should be good for like maybe 15hp.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:46 PM   #9
nonovurbizniz

HEY I'VE GOT A BRIDGE TO SELL EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU

Have any of you wondered why all of these things all refer to the cfm of the blower unit and not the psi produced.

that's cus cfm (cubic feet per minute) are easy to achieve with no back pressure.
It's producing cfm at pressure that creates power.
Your naturally aspirated engine probobly pulls in air at not only a faster rate than these things could blow it in but at higher pressure as well.

the pretty little fan may spin in an open invironment but once it's closed the electric motor it is powered by has NO chance of spinning at all. It's my guess that if you installed one of these and went to a dyno you'd find a SIGNIFICANT LOSS of power. Electric motors (much like honda's) don't produce any amounts of torque with out serious gearing mods they simply spin fast.

would you attempt to stop the blades a turbo compressor wheel with your hand? no cuz it would rip your fingers off faster than you could say "my name is 1 finger jack"

would you attempt to stop the blades of an electric fan with your tongue? ya and if you've been watching dave letterman's stupid human tricks you know that not only is it possible but it happens pretty fast.

IN SHORT ANYONE WHO WANTS TO SPEND THEY'RE HARD EARNED MONEY ON ONE OF THESE THINGS. PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF THE HASSLE AND SEND THE MONEY TO ME AND I'LL COME TO YOUR HOUSE AND EITHER POP YOUR TIRES OR KICK YOU IN THE NUTZ.
nonovurbizniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 08:46 PM   #10
pdiggitydogg

I was waiting for that response. I did more research, by the way. People that bought them said "Don't bother". www.fast-technology.com was the only one that made any power of anykind on a Honda
Old 07-29-2002, 04:30 PM   #11
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i think you'll get more if you start blowing yourself in the intake tube

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 09:45 AM   #12
CiviCRaceR

Uhm, come on guys. There are real turbos, and then there are the turbos that you listed. You choose. Theres an obvious price difference. IT DOESNT WORK? Where would you even connect it? Anyways its plastic which means... melting in your engine bay! Good luck if you guys actually do buy it.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:21 PM   #13
quik

Old 08-24-2002, 09:44 PM   #14
NiceRides

Actually My friend wit a modded Neon just got one like 2 weeks ago and he just needs to put it on i will ask him if it works. He has the exact same one as Ripthesystems pic wit the white plastice and fan. He should be putting it on pretty soon. He has 2 take his battery and put it in his trunk to I guess but it next to the CIA. He also got his from e-bay

Neil
Old 08-24-2002, 10:05 PM   #15
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Re: HEY I'VE GOT A BRIDGE TO SELL EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
Have any of you wondered why all of these things all refer to the cfm of the blower unit and not the psi produced.

that's cus cfm (cubic feet per minute) are easy to achieve with no back pressure.
It's producing cfm at pressure that creates power.
Your naturally aspirated engine probobly pulls in air at not only a faster rate than these things could blow it in but at higher pressure as well.

the pretty little fan may spin in an open invironment but once it's closed the electric motor it is powered by has NO chance of spinning at all. It's my guess that if you installed one of these and went to a dyno you'd find a SIGNIFICANT LOSS of power. Electric motors (much like honda's) don't produce any amounts of torque with out serious gearing mods they simply spin fast.

would you attempt to stop the blades a turbo compressor wheel with your hand? no cuz it would rip your fingers off faster than you could say "my name is 1 finger jack"

would you attempt to stop the blades of an electric fan with your tongue? ya and if you've been watching dave letterman's stupid human tricks you know that not only is it possible but it happens pretty fast.

IN SHORT ANYONE WHO WANTS TO SPEND THEY'RE HARD EARNED MONEY ON ONE OF THESE THINGS. PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF THE HASSLE AND SEND THE MONEY TO ME AND I'LL COME TO YOUR HOUSE AND EITHER POP YOUR TIRES OR KICK YOU IN THE NUTZ.
look some one typed what i was thinking!

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote