Sony Playstation 2 5 62.50%
Microsoft XBox 0 0%
fux the games, hire a Stripper 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2003, 10:49 PM   #1
Spazum888
3rd Gear

Sony Playstation2 or Microsoft XBox

hey palz. im in a stump.... ive been working at my job for about 5 months now... been saving up, and i have some cash. i would like to buy something that i would enjoy for a while. i was thinking about a PS2 or maybe an Xbox..... so i went to BestBuy today.... and both PS2 and the Xbox was the same price..... and im having a really hard time making up my mind.

Xbox: ( http://www.microsoft.com/xbox/ )
has alot of First person Shoot-em-up games.
you can hook up to 4 Xbox's so 16 people can play the same game
built-in memory so i wouldnt have to buy memory cards.

Playstation 2 (http://www.us.playstation.com/ )
has alot of classic games
........... thats all i can think of

so basicly wuts your opion about this subject. witch one would you get and why?

Girls are like internet domain names, the ones I like are already taken.
well, you can stil get one from a strange country :-P
Spazum888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 10:52 PM   #2
pbateson

PSX2 is the best!!!!! You can play all the games, and also you can watch the DVD movies.

XBOX is wasted! Because you can't put a DVD on it, and the box is too big.

Go ahead buy the PSX2!
Old 05-18-2003, 10:58 PM   #3
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

no crap-box for me thanks...damn microsoft...
(you can put dvd in it...but you HAVE to buy the remote for it to play it so im told)
I say gamecube...but since its not an option PS2
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 11:11 PM   #4

the x-box doesn't suck, but it's not as good as the ps2.

imo, the ps2 is the king and the gamecube is the queen.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:18 PM   #5
Duckydos

I am stumped as well. The PSX2 has Gran Turismo 3, so that is like +100 cool points. But the X-Box has better graphics (next to the GameCube, which isn't a choice).

-Ducky
Old 05-18-2003, 11:21 PM   #6

don't forget shutoko battle...which is +300 points.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:24 PM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

get a computer and have more fun with it. i'd go with your third option.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 11:27 PM   #8
a96710

I like the xbox's graphics and speed better (loading etc) but I think the PS2 has more games of better quality play....but I have both systems
a96710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 11:53 PM   #9
Spazum888
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by a96710
but I have both systems

wanker. ya but see with the PS2... i would have to get some memory cards (+$40) i would lose the graphis..... but if i was going for graphis... i would just get the game cube and call it a night... hmmmm

Old 05-19-2003, 12:20 AM   #10
Kyle
elyK

I can sell you an xbox with 4 controlers and 3 games for 225...if you'd like...
the games are project gotham racing, halo, and splinter cell.
It's in very good shape. there's only a problem with 1 of the controllers...you just have to mess with it a sec for it to work...other than that everything is perfect.
pm ME IF YOU'RE INTERESTED

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 01:08 AM   #11
Violent Apathy

Ok here comes my input (I deal with this question every day at work so just listen to me ) In my opinion PS2 has more quality games, and you can play DVDs on it right away. Problem is though, if you like watching movies, you're DVD drives will burn out quick, meaning you won't be able to play DVDs or a lot of games. Sony's policy on this is basically you're ****ed. Xbox doesn't quite have as many good games right now, but they do have some really good ones, and there's some really good looking ones comin out soon. Yeah you need to buy the DVD playback kit to play movies, but you'd have to buy the memory card for the PS2, which you won't need for the Xbox(Built in hard drive) and the Xbox DVD player is of a MUCH higher quality than the PS2s, play all the DVDs you won't and you won't have to worry about it. And of course there's the graphics, Xbox is the only console powerful enough to run Doom III, and Halo 2s graphics look like they might even be better than Doom's. And if your box breaks down Microsoft's customer service is a helluva lot better than Sony's. If you plan to do a lot of online gaming, don't even waste your time with PS2, Xbox has so many more good online games, and their online network actually works well, Sony's ain't worth a shit. Anyways in the end it's a matter of personal preferance, if you just plan to stay offline PS2 might be better for you, but with Xbox's future lineup that may change soon, and if you plan on goin online Xbox is really the only choice. Woo I'm tired after typing that.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Violent Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 06:41 AM   #12
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Save the money and buy them both.. :o or go on Ebay and find some used ones..

Id save the money, and build a kickass computer if you dont have one already. Anymore, I think computer games kick console's ass. I havent even played a game on my PS2 in like 6 months.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:54 AM   #13
spoogenet

Where's the Cube on the list?????????

I vote PS2 since Cube isn't there. PS2 has far better game options than XBox and isn't MS. Actually, buy an XBox and no games and take comfort in knowing you're making MS lose money.

TheBakonKing: You're saying the PS2 drive burns out???? Huh? Does the laser go bad or something? But see if using it for movies kills it, using it for games on DVD discs will kill it too.....the only problem I had heard of was in the first few releases of the PS2 where the memory card had the DVD software and would get erased thus eliminating the ability to play a DVD, but they fixed that. It didn't affect games on DVDs though, only movie playback. So just what happens on the PS2????

b
Old 05-19-2003, 11:35 PM   #14
JamieS697

cube sux @$$ for sure this hopefully isnt on your list ps2 is the greatest!! X-box is decent but the lacking of the dvd player kinda stinks and the graphics arent all that much different once you zone out into a game 2 polygons more isnt gonna matter
Old 05-20-2003, 12:12 AM   #15
Violent Apathy

Quote:
TheBakonKing: You're saying the PS2 drive burns out???? Huh? Does the laser go bad or something? But see if using it for movies kills it, using it for games on DVD discs will kill it too.....the only problem I had heard of was in the first few releases of the PS2 where the memory card had the DVD software and would get erased thus eliminating the ability to play a DVD, but they fixed that. It didn't affect games on DVDs though, only movie playback. So just what happens on the PS2????

Sony puts really shitty drivers into PS2s, they burn out very easily. Trust me I work in a video game store you wouldn't believe how many people return PS2s becuase of this...

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Old 05-20-2003, 12:28 AM   #16
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

where the strippers at ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 12:46 AM   #17
Spazum888
3rd Gear

on back order

Old 05-20-2003, 09:45 AM   #18
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBaconKing
Sony puts really shitty drivers into PS2s, they burn out very easily. Trust me I work in a video game store you wouldn't believe how many people return PS2s becuase of this...

I don't doubt that they burn out easily, my brother's roommate has burn through 4 of them in 1 year, and he uses them for movies a lot. He watches a movie and falls asleep and leaves it running for 10 straight hours each time, and he does it all the time. I'm not sure if the drive is dying or something else, because it's always hot in their house, the system gets poor ventillation, and there's lots of smoke....all things that are bad for electronics like the PS2.

Anyhoo, it's just that I don't see why there'd be any difference between watching movies and playing games since they use the drive somewhat equivalently, not identically but it's similar enough. So playing lots of games should nuke it too.....I just got the impression that you were saying movies were the only real killer.

JamieS697: Why does the Cube suck so bad? Have you really played it? Does it suck or do you just not like the games so you claim it sucks? I don't see how anybody could fairly claim any of the current consoles suck, each of them has strengths and weaknesses. Most people who claim the Cube sucks have never really even played one.....

b
Old 05-20-2003, 11:13 AM   #19
JamieS697

actually i bought it x-box and ps2 so yes i do know what i am talking about!! There were not enough games number one!! Number two they killed the whole console when they put zelda in cell shading. number three ps2 offers way more games and has more of a variety. And last but not least most games that are on both consoles play better on ps2. Now if your into watching them destroy mario and zelda have fun buy a cube!!!
Old 05-20-2003, 07:44 PM   #20
Violent Apathy

Quote:
actually i bought it x-box and ps2 so yes i do know what i am talking about!! There were not enough games number one!! Number two they killed the whole console when they put zelda in cell shading. number three ps2 offers way more games and has more of a variety. And last but not least most games that are on both consoles play better on ps2. Now if your into watching them destroy mario and zelda have fun buy a cube!!!

Have you even PLAYED the new Zelda? I used to hate the new cel shaded look too, but then i tried the game, and it's freakin fun. And while Nintendo may not have the quantity of games, they sure as hell have the quality.

Old 05-20-2003, 08:47 PM   #21
Kyle
elyK

hell, yeah..zelda is the best game i've played in a LONG time...it's wonderful.
and they have a huge variety of games also...well...big enuogh for me atleast...
i play nba street vol 2, zelda, supersmash bros, and skies of arcadia right now...all good games.
I'll probably be getting def jam vendetta pretty soon too...thats a fun game too

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 11:10 AM   #22
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by JamieS697

If using the quantity of games, then XB sucks too. The PS2 is by a very long shot the king for game quantity.

As for quality? I can't think of any other game I've played that will rival Metroid Prime in having so much thought put into it and executed so well. It's by far the game I am most impressed with of any I've seen. Don't get me wrong, I've got a PS2 and I love it, but I love the Cube too. But claiming the Cube is crap just cuz there aren't enough games, well that's just ridiculous. The Cube is a good piece of gaming hardware with some damn fine games on it. I've seen lots more that impresses me on the Cube than on the XB.

I've played quite a bit of TS2 on PS2 and GC and I've gotta say I definitely prefer it on the Cube. Of course parts of that are merely opinion, but I think the graphics are better on the Cube and the feel of the game is slightly more quick and accurate than on the PS2.

b