Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2002, 01:19 AM   #1
accord98lx

Brake Torqueing.

Anyone ever heard of this?

Its where u put ur left foot on the brake and floor ur gas pedal.
Then u let go of the brake and you'll be flying.

Its only for automatics. Is this actually safe for your engine/brakes? I never tried it. What do you guys think of this?
Old 10-24-2002, 04:47 AM   #2
a96710

I wouldn't imagine that's good on the engine...cause you're floorin it and the engine's tryin to go but your brakes are holdin it back
a96710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 10:50 AM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

it is a lot better than reving the engine in neutral and then slapping it in gear. that will mess up everything. as far as brake torque i think it's safe. all you do is get the tq converter to the stall speed.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 11:43 AM   #4
accord98lx

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
it is a lot better than reving the engine in neutral and then slapping it in gear. that will mess up everything. as far as brake torque i think it's safe. all you do is get the tq converter to the stall speed.

Hondamaniac said its ok!! Im gonna have to try this.
Old 10-24-2002, 02:28 PM   #5
Honda530

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
DONT DO THIS. I allready had to replace my auto tranny because of doing this. I used to do this a lot and it brokemy transmission. It will make you launch like .1-.2 sec better but is it worth the 1500 bucks to replace your tranny I think not. People might argue with me but hey go for it. After time it will break your tranny. Face it Auto guys theres no way we can make our autos faster withuot swapping it for a 5speed. Whats crazy is people tell you just to sell your car instead of swapping a 5spd. It only costs at the max 1500 to swap it. Just think people spend that much on body kits and rims. Im going to save over the summer and swap out for a 5speed. After I get rims of course. Just think how much faster a 5 speed is rather than a auto. Yeah thats like .5-1 sec faster. The normal I/H/E is gonna run around 1000 and that really wont get you a sec off your time. So the way I see it a 5spd is a good mod to do. But yeah dont brake torque its not good.
Old 10-24-2002, 05:09 PM   #6
infil

powerbraking raises the trans temp around 350deg a minute when you do it. really hard on the bands and tranny clutch plates.
Wont damage the motor, could cause the mixture to get a little rich but i'm not familiar enough with honda fuel maps to say for sure.
Old 10-24-2002, 06:28 PM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i've been doing this for a while and the tranny is fine. the car will become a 5 speed in the spring with the h22 swap.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 07:10 PM   #8
Honda530

Yeah but what Im saying is doing this over time is going to kill it. I had my car for about 120k only owner. I started brake torquing about 110k and about 118k it finally died. So just be careful dont be doing it all over the place and help your tranny out and get it a tranny cooler hayden and B%M both make decent ones.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:41 PM   #9
accord98lx

It doesnt hurt if I do it like once every 2-3 month does it? I mean..I bought the car at 49k miles and its only at 50.3k miles. And it took me almost 6 months to drive 1k mile!!!!! Now that I think of it..God damn!!!! Does anyone here drives 1k mile in 6 month?! I think thats too little.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:26 AM   #10
1SweetV6

You can do this semi safely. Just don't take it above 2K. If your doing this to like 3 or more, it will burn out your torque converter. It shouldn't kill the tranny. The TQ is what you putting all the stress on. I don't recommend doing this ALL the time. Just do it when you wont to race some one. You should be fine. DO NOT N DROP !!! This WILL kill the tranny, GUARANTIED 100 %. If you N drop, you WILL need a new tranny. For auto's this is the ONLY way to get the RPM's up before taking off. I ONLY do this once and a while.