::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2003, 08:15 PM   #1
mt.biker

some advice needed

.. for the guy best known for his advice (weird huh).

Well if you don’t know me very well, which most of you don’t; I'm a business guy. Problem is I might be ahead of the game; I’m just finishing up high school as we speak and will be out this June.

Here is where I need your advice...

I have three possible business ventures that I could get involved with (not giving details, sorry folks). The first one involves higher education and becoming an American citizen (more difficult then one might think). The other two are a little more "home grown" and if they took off it would stop me from going to University for a few years, or until I found someone who could run the business for me, which if you know much about help its always hard to find.

So maybe I’m thinking a little far in advance because there are a lot of unknowns between now and when I’m out of high school. One of those being where I am in north America, which could be changing. The other thing is the fact is I know and want a higher education, BUT one of these homegrown business ventures could turn into a livelihood if done right.

So folks I'm looking for some thoughts to get me thinking more about this. Right now I’m leaning to one of the business ventures that would have me running it out of my dorm room, kind of like Mike Dell (big computer guy who started out of his uni dorm). But that venture I'm thinking about has less potential then this other "homegrown" one. Out of all of these 3 ventures the one in the US holds the most promise but I'm lacking a US visa for starters.

Now these are just thoughts, I’m not taking any action in the next 3 months and I’m sorry if this reads bad I’ve been studying for exams like a mofo.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 01-20-2003, 08:22 PM   #2
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

o.k...here's my $0.02...if you can advance with one of your ventures and go to school at the same time, that would be your best bet. Granted, some people can swing being successful in business without a degree but it takes ALOT of hardwork to get there and sometimes failure is inevitable. You want to be able to have something to fall back on and a degree with do that for you. In addition to that, the job market (here in the U.S. anyway) sucks ass....now that I'm done ranting, I would say the one that you can perform and build out of your dorm room while still going to school looks most appealing.....

Quote:
Originally posted by IALuder
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:
Originally posted by MissJDM
Darin, please confirm that you don't like the cock!

HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #7
Anna Fan Club Member #1
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:25 PM   #3
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by AccordinStyle
o.k...here's my $0.02...if you can advance with one of your ventures and go to school at the same time, that would be your best bet. Granted, some people can swing being successful in business without a degree but it takes ALOT of hardwork to get there and sometimes failure is inevitable. You want to be able to have something to fall back on and a degree with do that for you. In addition to that, the job market (here in the U.S. anyway) sucks ass....now that I'm done ranting, I would say the one that you can perform and build out of your dorm room while still going to school looks most appealing.....

thats the same advice i'd give

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:32 PM   #4
V8killimports

Be cool. Stay is school.
V8killimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:42 PM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by V8killimports
Be cool. Stay is school.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:58 PM   #6
firstgeardude

higher education before going fully into business

ive said "**** this" to school in the past.. (remember last year) and will say it many more times... but it is important to get a higher education.... you got your whole life to run a business... my 2cents
Old 01-20-2003, 09:33 PM   #7
Kyle
elyK

Do what you think is right.

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:35 PM   #8
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AccordinStyle

Great advice.

The benefits of getting a higher education outweigh the idea of taking a chance on a business venture IMHO. The business might, or might not work, but with an education, you have the tools to do so much after you graduate. I'm sure you will gain a lot of knowledge in college to help you when you do go into business also.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:49 AM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Great advice.

The benefits of getting a higher education outweigh the idea of taking a chance on a business venture IMHO. The business might, or might not work, but with an education, you have the tools to do so much after you graduate. I'm sure you will gain a lot of knowledge in college to help you when you do go into business also.

let me add this: with the number of kids currently going to college/university a BS degree won't be enough to get a good payng job. i think you will have to shot at least for a masters degree to get a good payng job

Old 01-21-2003, 01:35 AM   #10
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
let me add this: with the number of kids currently going to college/university a BS degree won't be enough to get a good payng job. i think you will have to shot at least for a masters degree to get a good payng job

That largely depends on the field though. In my field (computer engineering), many companies want people with just a BS so they can be molded to fit the needs of that company. I don't know too much about the business stuff though

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 11:22 AM   #11
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
That largely depends on the field though. In my field (computer engineering), many companies want people with just a BS so they can be molded to fit the needs of that company. I don't know too much about the business stuff though

I'm a CIS major, and so far the job market in this field is down in the buckeye state (ask Civic_Adict), and those with a higher degree will take the cake.

Old 01-21-2003, 11:56 AM   #12
V8killimports

Or you could be a male stripper. What can beat $2000 a week for just swinger your weiner around?
V8killimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:01 PM   #13
mt.biker

Quote:
Originally posted by V8killimports
Or you could be a male stripper. What can beat $2000 a week for just swinger your weiner around?

what would beat that would be making that a week for doing something i want to do with my life and somethign a little more respectable.

You guys have given me somethings to think about. Right now i'm going to keep working towards a higher education and if I am able to work something out of a dorm room or apt when i'm in school then so be it. I figure i'll have to put this US job on hold unless something changes. But jobs are never hard to find people, thats just a myth.