Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2004, 01:16 AM   #1
C's 94 InTeGrA
4th Gear

Question for the V8 guys

Ok. My friend was telling me tonight he saw a video on the net from F-Body.com of a 99 Z28 Camaro with the LS1 motor in it. But it was turbo. But then to make it even more weird was the turbo was under the car right by where the exhaust comes out and then the piping came back up the car and into the throttle bodie. They said it had the airfilter and all that on it and it was a real turbo. Now why would they do that? Cooling purposes or just no room to put the turbo by the engine?
Old 07-04-2004, 02:10 AM   #2
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Dude...you've obviously never seen the underhood area of the last-gen F-Bodies. Hell...the distributor is up under the dash. I'm not even sure a turbo setup like that would work too well, but if it's a real setup it's purely for space reasons.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 02:12 AM   #3
C's 94 InTeGrA
4th Gear

Ya thats what i figured. Cause most of my buddies around here have F-Bodys and shit. I almost bought one lol. Ya i figured thats why they put it there was cause they was no space to put it by the engine. Thanks i was hoping u would be the one to reply to this thread.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:20 AM   #4
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Well...when you ask for V8 guys on the board it's just me and Mike. Hehe.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 07-04-2004, 09:36 AM   #5
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

ive seen turbos custom mounted on the header before, its not efficent from what i was told... but it works

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 10:09 AM   #6
C's 94 InTeGrA
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
Well...when you ask for V8 guys on the board it's just me and Mike. Hehe.

ya i thought so...

Heres the link to the video. The guy told me it was LS1 motor but its a LT1 in the video. http://www.discountchips.net/2kss/vi...bolt1final.mpg
Old 07-04-2004, 06:55 PM   #7
VR4_Craver
Banned

How could you tell that is the LT? The is weird looking under there...I would be worried about bottoming out the car and tearing it all apart :o
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 07:48 PM   #8
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Dont 2jz-gte's have to have the turbo's mounted just about under the car too?
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 11:53 PM   #9
C's 94 InTeGrA
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by VR4_Craver
How could you tell that is the LT? The is weird looking under there...I would be worried about bottoming out the car and tearing it all apart :o

From 98 to now the headlights are just one big bubble. The old ones have the what it looks like fog light headlights. Also you can tell by the motor

Quote:
Dont 2jz-gte's have to have the turbo's mounted just about under the car too?

i didnt think so. i thought they was right up front or right on the sides of the fenders maybe.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:22 AM   #10
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Most of the 2JZ motors I've seen have had the turbos up on either side of the engine...but then again all the ones I've ever seen were modded. And sorry C's...when I'm in Kansas City I have dial up so I'm not even gonna try to open the video. Besides...F-Bodies suck.

Old 07-05-2004, 09:01 AM   #11
biker's back

I was under the impression you can put a turbo just about anywhere in the car (even the trunk) aslong as the piping is hooked up correctly. The only downside I believe is that do to the length of pipe the boost isn't as strong as if the piping was shorter.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:37 PM   #12
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by biker's back
I was under the impression you can put a turbo just about anywhere in the car (even the trunk) aslong as the piping is hooked up correctly. The only downside I believe is that do to the length of pipe the boost isn't as strong as if the piping was shorter.

True, but that would be extremely inefficient. Since turbos worst principally in exhaust gas heat and velocity, the farther away you stuck them, the less efficient they become. That said I don't know that a head=mounted turbo would be a great idea either. You'd probably be getting boost at idle which sounds cool, but will melt a turbo in short order.

Old 07-07-2004, 09:51 PM   #13
nonovurbizniz

Porsche 944's had the turbo mounted all but underneith the engine... The piping then ran around the other side and up the the intake in the front...

The more piping there is for the charged air the longer the spool time will be... the further from the exhaust the less the exhaust turbine will spin...

ALL subaru turbo's and non-twin turbo porsches have pretty far away mounted turbos... since they are boxer engines both exhaust pipes have to meet in the middle to feed the turbo.. then the charge pipe goes up to the intake.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:04 PM   #14
hatchbackjesse95

speeking of boost, whats up with the new vortec supercharger kit for the nissan 350z it looks alot like a turbo. that thing is massive too.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:31 PM   #15
biker's back

Quote:
Originally posted by hatchbackjesse95
speeking of boost, whats up with the new vortec supercharger kit for the nissan 350z it looks alot like a turbo. that thing is massive too.

I'd assume since its feeding a 3.5L v6 they need it to be large because there is alot of air to move.

Have you seen some of the intakes on larger motors?
Old 07-09-2004, 12:13 PM   #16
hatchbackjesse95

yo there are more than 2 v8 lovers on this bopard, i'm a big v8 fan myself.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:24 PM   #17
biker's back

I love big motors in general... to bad honda wont bust out a v8 or v10 with similar tech to the 300c