::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2002, 02:03 AM   #1
Chi-town EX

what exactly voids a warranty???

i wanted to make some minor changes to my accord like reverse indiglo gauges and clear lights and little sh** like that but i'm not sure if any of this is going to void my warranty (i bought the extended) so if anybody knows it would help alot!! thanxxx
Old 06-15-2002, 03:03 PM   #2
spoogenet

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but read your warranty booklet. I say that because I, too, was wondering things I could do that would void the warranty. The booklet is pretty easy to follow and lays things out for the most part.

The basics of what I got from it are....Honda doesn't mind if you use non-Honda parts or get it done by non-Honda people, so long as the following is met:

1. Replacement parts of are equal or better quality of craftsmanship as OEM.
2. Repairs/mods are done properly.
3. Nothing was abused or misused.
4. The parts were designed specifically for your year and model vehicle.

If you make a mod that is not in compliance with the above, it does not void your entire warranty. The dealer will refuse warranty work if it can be shown that your modification caused the failure.

For example, if you put in reverse EL guages, and your cluster fails due to electrical malfunction, they may void your warranty. However if your wheels all fall off, that's still covered.

Bear in mind I do NOT work for Honda, and what I've said here is merely my interpretation of the warranty. Your best bet is to call the dealer or call their zone office and ask them directly.

I do know for a fact that some dealers are more liberal with warranty work than others.....it's really up to your dealer. If you disagree with the dealer, though, that's where the zone office comes in.

b
Old 06-15-2002, 09:08 PM   #3
thatguyX

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet

For example, if you put in reverse EL guages, and your cluster fails due to electrical malfunction, they may void your warranty. However if your wheels all fall off, that's still covered.

b

if your wheels fell off wouldnt you be a lil more worried about living then if your warranty is still up?
Old 06-18-2002, 12:19 AM   #4
SilverCoupe2K1

Good Call, guy X

Spoogy makes some good points too. Ur warranty booklet will give you a general idea of what's okay and what's not. Also, common sense goes a long way. If you've made a modification to one part, that affects another part, well that second part may not be covered.

Also, it's important to mention that your individual dealership may be more or less lenient with these restrictions. You may want to consult them as well.

I know that in my case, one dealership told me that dropping my car would result in the entire suspension not being covered, whereas my dealer told me, only if dropping it had an adverse affect, causing the said defect. It's just an example...so u may want to find out about that too.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:35 PM   #5
spoogenet

I was just at the dealer today ($60 for Mobil 1) He said that the courts ruled such that the car company must be able to prove that the modification caused the failure to not cover it under warranty.

b
Old 06-21-2002, 09:19 AM   #6
Tool462

Check out my mods and my dealer is aware of all of them and says that Im fine with my warrenty, but when I asked about NOS they laughed and said NO WAY!
Andy(Tool462)