.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2003, 09:42 PM   #1
96StangGT

Mustanger looking into a Honda. (no I'm not a troll)

Hey all, I own a '96 Mustang GT, but I'm looking for a "beater" car that gets good gas mileage and that I can drive without worry. I would also like to hop it up a little. I'm kinda thinking about an '89-97 Accord, but a 4 door Civic would be ok too. I personally just think Accords look better and are more "classy" than the Civic. Plus less people have them. I know its hard to squeez much power out of the stock honda motors, but whats the best motor to swap into an Accord? H22A? What is the better car, and which is more fun to drive...Civic or Accord?

Thanks Guys!!
Old 10-29-2003, 09:48 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

the accords rule. i always thought they had more style than the civics.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:01 PM   #3
G-M-W
2nd Gear

i like my civic...it looks sexy
G-M-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:02 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

bah...civics are more economical and more plentiful...but for a beater the accord will be cheaper

glad to welcome another mature mustang-er to the board...you guys are few and far between when it comes to hondas
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:03 PM   #5
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
bah...civics are more economical and more plentiful...but for a beater the accord will be cheaper

Why would the Accord be cheaper? More expensive to buy and slightly worse gas mileage...

Anyway, if you're looking for a beater, why spend $3k+ on a swap for the Accord? I wouldn't bother.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:26 PM   #6
pdiggitydogg

edit**my mistake...gave the accord 85000 miles instead of the matching 75000
Old 10-29-2003, 11:27 PM   #7
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
glad to welcome another mature mustang-er to the board...you guys are few and far between when it comes to hondas

Hey now...watch who you're calling mature.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 11:29 PM   #8
pdiggitydogg

i know who im callin mature...you stang guys that are left are the mature ones...the reason there arent any others is theyve been banned from being immature losers who have nothing better to do but find honda boards and be trolls

youre "good people"
Old 10-30-2003, 01:50 AM   #9
myself_included

Re: Mustanger looking into a Honda. (no I'm not a troll)

Quote:
Originally posted by 96StangGT
I'm kinda thinking about an '89-97 Accord
Just so you know, the body style changed in 90. Here's a picture of an 88, which looks just like the 89

So if you're even interested in the 89s, then you might as well be interested in 86+ since they're the same. I would suggest going with the 90+ since they have a lot more parts available for them. The 86-89 accords aren't bad cars though, just make sure you get a LXi or SEi because they are FI and the others are not.

And I would suggest getting an accord over a civic, the accord has more power, more space, and is more luxurious than the civic.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:37 PM   #10
cashizslick

Quote:

Quite true.

--if you want a good honda - try to find a 92-95 civic with a blown motor for real real cheap (shouldnt be more than 500$ depending on body condition).

Then buy a B18B honda motor from an acura Integra ls, rs, or gs. Put that motor in there and you will have a good car for under 2500$
Old 10-30-2003, 03:10 PM   #11
CD5Passion

accord represent
more room for the buddies, more power (assuming you get an EX with a VTEC), and just more fun because there are fewer of them compared to civics
Old 10-30-2003, 07:31 PM   #12
Shot 2 Hel

i would rather have an accord over a civic but they cost a good bit more $$$
Old 10-30-2003, 08:53 PM   #13
spoogenet

Ok, so I'm slightly confused on what your biggest priority is. Beater and ride not to worry about driving aren't really synonyms.

If you just want a reliable ride to get around town in, then you'll be fine with an Accord or a Civic. It's my personal believe that Accords hold up to the tests of time a little better than the Civs, but that's an opion. I also much prefer the Accords.

However if you want to have a little fun and trick it out, there's tons of stuff for Civics. It's a lot easier to, say, get a turbo for a Civic than an Accord. Especially the newer Accords, but you didn't include those in your year lists. I'd recommend a Civ over an Accord if you want to turn it into a toy and squeeze some juice out of the powerplant.

It really just depends on what you want, though. The Accord is definitely a more "classy" ride, has some better stuff in it (such as sound-deadening material), and holds more junk if that's your bag.

b
Old 10-30-2003, 09:22 PM   #14
MAXed Out
6th Gear

Did u ever consider an integra? I would get an accord no offense to civic owners they are nice and all but too many of them at least here. If u want a decent car just get a Integra GSR u can get on for like $5 gs with 125 on it. But it's all up to u man. So let us know what u decide on.
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
MAXed Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:52 PM   #15
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Beater=Civic.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 07:56 AM   #16
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Del Sol
Beater=Civic.

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO
Old 10-31-2003, 08:15 AM   #17
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

holy shit. ANY of you accord guys...wanna race ? mwahahah. haha.....ha.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:23 AM   #18
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaved &/or Laid
holy shit. ANY of you accord guys...wanna race ? mwahahah. haha.....ha.

Sure. You drive my car, I'll drive yours.

b
Old 10-31-2003, 10:59 AM   #19
drdingo21

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
the accords rule. i always thought they had more style than the civics.
Booo, your opnion is biasd. This is how i got into the car/import scene. I lowered the bijezzes out of my truck and need a winter beater. Got a 94 civic ex. Kept it stock for like a year then got rear-ended. Thats when i painted it and put a body kit on it, and some other stuff.....
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 11:20 AM   #20
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

BAGS ?! Mini trucks are so sexy i nut my pants thinking about how awesome they are
Old 10-31-2003, 12:41 PM   #21
drdingo21

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaved &/or Laid
BAGS ?! Mini trucks are so sexy i nut my pants thinking about how awesome they are

heres my baby.

And heres my baby for sale:(
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2440359953
Old 10-31-2003, 12:55 PM   #22
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Mini trucks? Cool? Boooooooo I say. And I think the word is "trucklet". I've got an '01 Sonoma w/ the ZQ8 suspension (the factory lowered one) and I can't stand the damn thing. It's not big enough to tow anything, doesn't really look that good except for the paint and wheels, and even with the bigger motor (I use the term "bigger" loosly...it's only a 4.3L V6) it's horribly aenemic and rides like ass. F@ckin mini trucks.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 10-31-2003, 01:06 PM   #23
drdingo21

It rides like ass because its lowered. There for the suspension has less travel and im sure the tires are low profile...I would think common sense would tell you that.

The truck isn't made to tow. Its made for people that want a truck but not a full size one. When you need to haul a buch of people around all the time, you don't go buy a geo metro, you get a van...

Also the towing capcity of the s-10 extreme is reccommend at NONE. If you want a truck to tow shit with then get a full size or get one that isn't lowered.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:24 PM   #24
pbateson

Accord rule with leather seats and all matched colour on EX.

Civic had no leather seats, no door molding paint, no alloy wheels on EX and no abjustable front head seat.

Accord is faster than Civic. hhehe!
Old 11-01-2003, 03:08 AM   #25
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by drdingo21
It rides like ass because its lowered. There for the suspension has less travel and im sure the tires are low profile...I would think common sense would tell you that.

The truck isn't made to tow. Its made for people that want a truck but not a full size one. When you need to haul a buch of people around all the time, you don't go buy a geo metro, you get a van...

Also the towing capcity of the s-10 extreme is reccommend at NONE. If you want a truck to tow shit with then get a full size or get one that isn't lowered.

Actually it could ride better had they not stuck Bilstiens on it. Don't get me wrong...I like a firm ride and predictable handling, but this thing is just plain jittery, especially at high speeds (I'm sure some sort of payload in the back would smooth that out...but then it'd also hurt my fuel economy). The tires certainly aren't lo-pros. They're 235/55 if memory serves me. My Mustang has lower profile tires and a stiffer, lower suspension and it's much more comfortable than my truck. I honestly think it's just shitty engineering...not a limited suspension travel. Truth be told you're right as far as towing is concerned. I bought the truck because it was relatively cheap ($20K) and figured it *might* be able to tow the Mustang to and from the track (plus I figured I already had 1 car...why buy a second). Wrong. I'm actually suprised the Xtreme is recommended for zero towing. My truck's exactly the same without the gay ground effects and it's rated at a max of 3000lbs. IMHO...trucklets are just lame and if I didn't have so much money tied up in this POS I'd sell it for a Lightning in a heartbeat.

Old 11-01-2003, 05:49 AM   #26
thermal
Banning Machine

.....anyway back to the topic, Yes an H22 or H23 will be the only upgrade choice that is recommendable for an accord, unless you turbo that stock engine.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 01:32 PM   #27
drdingo21

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
Actually it could ride better had they not stuck Bilstiens on it. Don't get me wrong...I like a firm ride and predictable handling, but this thing is just plain jittery, especially at high speeds (I'm sure some sort of payload in the back would smooth that out...but then it'd also hurt my fuel economy). The tires certainly aren't lo-pros. They're 235/55 if memory serves me. My Mustang has lower profile tires and a stiffer, lower suspension and it's much more comfortable than my truck. I honestly think it's just shitty engineering...not a limited suspension travel. Truth be told you're right as far as towing is concerned. I bought the truck because it was relatively cheap ($20K) and figured it *might* be able to tow the Mustang to and from the track (plus I figured I already had 1 car...why buy a second). Wrong. I'm actually suprised the Xtreme is recommended for zero towing. My truck's exactly the same without the gay ground effects and it's rated at a max of 3000lbs. IMHO...trucklets are just lame and if I didn't have so much money tied up in this POS I'd sell it for a Lightning in a heartbeat.
I wasn't trying to be a dick, I was just saying why it rides like crap. True the ride could be better but its because of the lowered suspension. I personally never liked the extremes.
Your entitled to your opinion, I prefer a mini to a full size truck simply because im not looking for a full size truck. Although I would make an exception for the lighting.....

As for the topic at hand, id go for an h22 just like thermalfi said. I have a video of an accord with an h22 on the dyno and it just screams. It was supposedly hooked to the accord transmission. On the dyno it tops out at 180 and gets there fairly quickly
Old 11-01-2003, 02:09 PM   #28
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

just a little note.. top speed & dyno.. no relation!
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote