::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2004, 07:05 AM   #1
Kool-Aid

V-Dubb's

As I had said before, I went to a weekend long party thrown by my ex...it was a party full of V-Dubb owners...and I was the only one there with a Honda...one of the guys there was basically criticizing my car up and down and told me that I needed to sell my car and get a V-Dubb...what do you guys think of Volkswagen?
Old 06-21-2004, 07:30 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

piece of crap.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:29 AM   #3
RxGoaT13
4th Gear

vw's are okay cars, but that guy sounds like an idiot cuz hondas own
RxGoaT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:33 AM   #4
Fatal070

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
piece of crap.

EXACTLY!!!
Fatal070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:48 AM   #5
juvenile

People who over criticize one car and don't show it any respect at all don't have much of a taste in cars imo and only buy things that other people consider "hot". Buy what you like and drive what you want. Personally, I think both cars are nice.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:03 AM   #6
CD5Passion

i got to drive my friends Golf back from Daytona this weekend and hell it's anice ride, had to get used to the weird ass clutch and gas pedal and not to mention where the reverse gear is placed. But it was fun to drive. if I were to get another car I'd probabbly get a jetta 1.8 or vr6. but for now Ima stick to my beloved accord
Old 06-21-2004, 10:43 AM   #7
Whiteclipse99
4th Gear

I'm a fan of the R32, I'd definitely sport one of those.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:50 AM   #8
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i wouldnt mind having a vw. they are owned by audi.. or visa-versa now anyways, so its all german engineering.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 12:42 PM   #9
Kool-Aid

Yea, I'm gonna keep my Honda no matter what...it's just that those guys are overly obsessed with VW's....it's crazy...
Old 06-21-2004, 12:52 PM   #10
MAXed Out
6th Gear

I really like the golf gti's and the r32's but other than that i dont think i would buy their cars.
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
MAXed Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:16 PM   #11
Kool-Aid

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
piece of crap.

Why are they a piece of crap? Elaborate.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:02 PM   #12
spoogenet

Hencho en Mexico. Translation, if it's not tequila it probably sucks. Of course not all v-dubs are made in Mexico.

I like the R32 a lot. The Passat GLX is nice and the Jetta GLi is nice too. Of course the Phaeton is sweet. But I like Audi more. I'm not too impressed with VW/Audi reliability in general, though. Especially their electrical problems, everybody I've known with either has had issues with the electrics in the first few years. But let's not forget Honda/Acura has its own fair share of reliability problems.

b
Old 06-21-2004, 08:38 PM   #13
No.1_Stunna

VW corados are pretty sweet...But after experiencing the terrible european engineering on my volvo I dont know if I'd get a european car...
Old 06-21-2004, 09:24 PM   #14
Fatal070

You know I should have not copied and said there are a peice of crap there are acctually very good automobile's.....

Has anyone checked out this VW concept its called the concept R my younger brother should me it... he's a big euro fan of car's even though he has a Honda...

Learn more http://www.vw.com/eventvw/autoshow/#
Fatal070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:42 PM   #15
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Kool-Aid
Why are they a piece of crap? Elaborate.

they don't seem fun at all while driving with a few exceptions. and their quality is a bit better than hyunday

Quote:
Originally posted by juvenile
People who over criticize one car and don't show it any respect at all don't have much of a taste in cars imo and only buy things that other people consider "hot". Buy what you like and drive what you want. Personally, I think both cars are nice.

i had a big one for you but hell i'll let it slide this time

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 11:11 PM   #16
nonovurbizniz

VW's SUCK ASS... current generations excluded... they're OK... but nothing special IMO...

VW drivers are the MOST LAME BUNCH OF FAGS EVER...

ALL of them HATE honda's and talk CONSTANTLY about how much better their cars are...

I can RIP apart ANY VW owner on ANY point trying to say a VW is better than a honda... Other than personal prefference there is NOTHING superior about a VW to a honda...

Honda OWNS, VW SUCKS ASS TO OWN.

Our cars are engineered SOOOO Much better then their "german engineered" cars...

Their bolts suck... they're desigend poorly with NO consideration for working on them... their fuel systems BLOW ASS... their clutches and trannies EAT POO POO, I hate VW SOOO MUCH.

The ONLY thing they have over our cars IMO is interiors... and that's again really a matter of opinion and depends on trim levels...

If honda would just start putting stock SRD's in the USDM cars it'd be even...

My buddy is a big VW fan and hangs out with tons of dudes who are all about VW's... they're ALL retarded, and they ALL think honda's suck... they just talk sh!t cuz it's expected or something...

It's like a mustang owner but worse... they feel obligated to hate honda's... kinda like how lots of people who work as mechanics watch nascar even if they don't really like it... they just feel they should to be more a part of their "scene"...

Honda's are MUCH better cars to work on, own, modify, and drive.

VW's are great if you like hitler and shitty cars the rust and break down.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:45 PM   #17
mylittlecivic

if i didnt get my honda "handed down" then i probably would have ended up with a golf, my sister got a jetta though and i got her old civic. I wouldnt trade it though i love my honda and talk people into buying them all the time

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 12:28 AM   #18
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I'd take a W8 Passat just so I could have the pleasure of killing myself in the face when I realize that a W8 engine is probably the worst idea in history...and not just in cars. Bring on the Bugatti W16! I also find it funny that the ONLY car story my mom has is when her old VW beetle blew to shit and left engine parts for about 1/2 mile on the highway.

As for those VW dickheads...just remember that the original VW beetle was a joint design venture between Hitler and the guy who started Porsche (can't for the life of me remember his first name) so they're supporting Hitler. After all, Volkswagen is German for "the people's car".
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika

Last edited by GT40FIED : 06-22-2004 at 12:31 AM.
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 12:30 AM   #19
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by Whiteclipse99
I'm a fan of the R32, I'd definitely sport one of those.

Atta gurl
My friend drives a VW...you should ask him what he thinks of them.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 12:44 AM   #20
jaywho123

hey i'm that friend...
about 7 months ago i traded in my 99 civic sir for a 03 gti 20th edition (they gave me 18500 for the civic that needed a paint job)
(it was electron blue fyi)

worst mistake i have ever made
i've taken this car in 4 times already for warrenty
the interior is really squeeky!
it is pretty fast though
strange noises comming from the engine like a knocking (they say its normal)
power steering is leaking

the intake black del sol and i did (he did most of the work) was a pain in the ass

thats just the half of it
all and all
i am ashamed to be a VW owner i'd rather have my civic back even though it was a lemon

yes the R32 is nice but for the price get an STI IMO
and thats my rant
Old 06-22-2004, 12:48 AM   #21
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by jaywho123
hey i'm that friend...
about 7 months ago i traded in my 99 civic sir for a 03 gti 20th edition (they gave me 18500 for the civic that needed a paint job)
(it was electron blue fyi)

worst mistake i have ever made
i've taken this car in 4 times already for warrenty
the interior is really squeeky!
it is pretty fast though
strange noises comming from the engine like a knocking (they say its normal)
power steering is leaking

the intake black del sol and i did (he did most of the work) was a pain in the ass

thats just the half of it
all and all
i am ashamed to be a VW owner i'd rather have my civic back even though it was a lemon

yes the R32 is nice but for the price get an STI IMO
and thats my rant

and there you have it folks.!

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 06:37 AM   #22
wal
2nd Gear

well living in the uk ya kinda see loads of vw's about so they quite a common sight, i personally wouldnt buy one if i was going to buy one it would have to be the r32, but i wouldnt buy one anyways i would much rather save ma money and drop it all into engine work on a honda. or get a cheapish r33 or r32 skyline then if theres any money left drop that into performance upgrades on the liner
wal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:06 AM   #23
SolPol

I had an '03 GTi VR6 for about 7 months. One of my roommates took it so I could buy my bike

They are great when new. Torque MONSTERS compared to Hondas. Power band is just way bigger. The pedals that Shards was talking about is the Drive by Wire system. No cables, it's done electronically (just more shit to break later).

My roommates and friends LOVE VWs. That said, I should take a pic of my driveway for you people. It's a VW graveyard out there. We've got four, count them four, non running VWs out there.

We'll have to wait and see if the Gen 4s can hold up a little longer, but the older ones break all the time. Got another friend with an '01 Golf two point slow with about 50k on it and it's breaking to hell already so it's not lookin' good so far.

My own personal theory has always been that VWs and Hondas will last the same amount of time/miles if kept right. The difference being that VWs break earlier and more often, whereas Hondas break later and bigger. You start having your first real serious problems with VW at about 40-60k. Hondas? Pshhh, like 120k.

So you can guess where I stand.

Or can you?
Old 06-22-2004, 03:53 PM   #24
CD5Passion

f*cking clutches
anyways yeah we've noticed some strange things with my friends golf, for one the reverse lights never worked off the lot, door squeaks like theres no tomorow, and it feels like the tranny slips in reverse.
my other friend who just got his $10k work done on his golf said he had an instance where his window just fell off the rack when he was putting it down. and said his door squeaks too.
despite that his car is seriously hot looking now that he bought a german bodykit, and basically redid most of the cars styling, maybe I'll post a pic or two once I get to see him
Old 06-22-2004, 03:58 PM   #25
mylittlecivic

when my sister got her jetta i found a bong in a ''hidden compartment'' hmmm.....

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 04:58 PM   #26
95DX
2nd Gear

I've always kinda liked the older VWs (used to drive a 72 Bug) the newer ones are so-so imo but I also used to kinda hate Hondas mostly the modified ones (even though I had driven my car a few times before I got it-used to be my grandmothers) and I was really into trucks but since I've had my Civic Im not 100% sold to Honda but I definately no longer hate them (I would definately get another one)
95DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:07 PM   #27
G-M-W
2nd Gear

my friend has a jetta....its slow, heavy, ugly, and the seats are so hard to adjust.....sooooo many weird knobs and levers is hard to reach spots....boooo vw
G-M-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:25 PM   #28
AkimboStylee

i had a passat and it was good until the distributor went out and they wanted 1800 to fix it cause the parts had to be ordered from some place in belguim. oh and it is great to be back!!!!
Old 06-22-2004, 05:39 PM   #29
Kool-Aid

I used to want a Jetta a while ago...but then I grew out of it...drove a 65 Mustang/302 for two years....60 bucks a week on gas...I wanted something more economical so I got a Honda...loved my Honda ever since...
Old 06-22-2004, 05:41 PM   #30
Kool-Aid

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
VW's SUCK ASS... current generations excluded... they're OK... but nothing special IMO...

VW drivers are the MOST LAME BUNCH OF FAGS EVER...

ALL of them HATE honda's and talk CONSTANTLY about how much better their cars are...

I can RIP apart ANY VW owner on ANY point trying to say a VW is better than a honda... Other than personal prefference there is NOTHING superior about a VW to a honda...

Honda OWNS, VW SUCKS ASS TO OWN.

Our cars are engineered SOOOO Much better then their "german engineered" cars...

Their bolts suck... they're desigend poorly with NO consideration for working on them... their fuel systems BLOW ASS... their clutches and trannies EAT POO POO, I hate VW SOOO MUCH.

The ONLY thing they have over our cars IMO is interiors... and that's again really a matter of opinion and depends on trim levels...

If honda would just start putting stock SRD's in the USDM cars it'd be even...

My buddy is a big VW fan and hangs out with tons of dudes who are all about VW's... they're ALL retarded, and they ALL think honda's suck... they just talk sh!t cuz it's expected or something...

It's like a mustang owner but worse... they feel obligated to hate honda's... kinda like how lots of people who work as mechanics watch nascar even if they don't really like it... they just feel they should to be more a part of their "scene"...

Honda's are MUCH better cars to work on, own, modify, and drive.

VW's are great if you like hitler and shitty cars the rust and break down.

Exactly, this VW guy was just totally raggin on my Honda tellin me how I should sell it and get VW...just baggin on my car and Honda's in general...kinda made me upset...but I just was like...WHATEVA!!!!!
Old 06-22-2004, 10:31 PM   #31
nonovurbizniz

^^ it's funny because they ALL do that... I was at the meet for like 2hrs before I started to open my mouth... they were all like... Duh... uh uh.. only one kid there really KNEW what he was talking about and he knew I was right...

I met him again later and he was telling me how almost all of his vortex friends stopped talking to him because he said he wanted to get a hatch and put an H22 in it...

RIGHHHHT... you guys aren't gay..

F hitler and F his stupid cars...

The ONLY german cars I like are BMW's and those are too prententious, and there's sooo much innovation and "engineering" that everything breaks and sucks... they have the worst waranty issue history than any other car (mostly because of using systems that are more advanced and more revolutionary than other companies (trial by error with you as the test pilot)).

I haven't driven any of the newest generation of VW's but the older one's ALL suck...

My dad had a 96 996 and it SUCKED ASS.. it was fun and all and obviously well designed... but the clutch felt like poo poo... and in generaly the car didn't drive very nice. My sentra AND civic BOTH felt more solid on the road above 100mph... which is out right sad...
Old 06-23-2004, 07:20 AM   #32
Kool-Aid

My supervisor has a VW Jetta...Im guessing a 2000 or 2001...and it felt nice when I drove it...even my ex's VW JEtta, a 98 I think, felt nice driving as well. I an not sure what a shitty clutch feels like but it drove kinda nice...when my Honda was fallin apart on me, before I had done the things I did to it, I was almost convinced into getting a Jetta...but I'm glad I didn't because I love my Honda to death now...
Old 06-23-2004, 09:41 AM   #33
SolPol

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
Hencho en Mexico. Translation, if it's not tequila it probably sucks. Of course not all v-dubs are made in Mexico.
b

The Mexican made ones are WAY more problematic. Used to be pretty evenly split in the U.S. as to whether you got a German or Mexican made VW. Now it's so rare to get a German made VW here that they call it the Wolfsburg Edition.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:08 AM   #34
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I believe we as individuals have the right to drive what we like and what we are most comfortable in.

I think some VWs are cool. Im a car fanatic though, if its got wheels Id role it.

Hell Id even take a metro if someone was giving it away.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:26 PM   #35
CD5Passion

what about the vw phaeton or whatever?
Old 06-24-2004, 09:29 PM   #36
Kool-Aid

I've never even heard of that type...
Old 06-24-2004, 10:09 PM   #37
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Shardsofxapril
what about the vw phaeton or whatever?

The phaeton would be cool if it weren't a VW. That is to say, it'd be cool if you knew it wasn't going to break down often and not live up to your expectations. But VW's on a power trip now that they own Bugatti and Lambo so they somehow think they're on the same level as these cars. That Phaeton will crash and burn if it's ever released.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 09:35 AM   #38
jaywho123

who would want to buy a 90G VW
with a $3000 fuel tax to add on that
Old 06-25-2004, 12:05 PM   #39
RxGoaT13
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by mylittlecivic
when my sister got her jetta i found a bong in a ''hidden compartment'' hmmm.....

damn hippies,
RxGoaT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 11:10 AM   #40
nonovurbizniz

My VW buddy actually just picked up another Vdubb...

He got a 93 jetta GLI... they're the ones with the 2.0 16v engine (the only good engine in the older ones (pre VR6 and 1.8t)). It's got a full recaro interior and whatnot... those and the GTI's which are identical are the only "nice" older VW's IMO...

Although they still suck... my buddies GTI barely pulls on me (the last time we raced was when my timing belt was off a tooth)... and he's got .4 liters on me... a lightened flywheel, cams, exhaust, intake, etc etc etc...

And he's CONVINCED ever since he's been in my car since it's running right (still not tuned properly)... that it would smoke his car... and mine's heavier too I believe...

If that doesn't say it all I don't know what does.

And honda's aren't impressive IMO... they make decent power for what they are but I am no more impressed with my d16's performance than I was with the 1.6 in my sentra... actually I liked the sentra more... but that was probobly because it was my first car.