.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > Battle of the Sexes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2003, 12:23 PM   #1
fzr400tony

question for the ladies

this is gonna be stupid, but i'm curious.

as a kid i was into bmx bikes. and there were girls who liked guys who rode bmx bikes, but rarely a girl who rode bmx.

then it was skateboards. lots of "skate-betties," no skating betties.

then i got into pocket rockets as the import car scene was referred to then. no chicks liked it at all. they all liked the gti until i started it or they rode in it. but that was the early 90's and i lived in a hick town. plus it was pretty much all go, no show (well for what i could afford in college).

then i got into bikes. lots, i mean lots of girls who liked guys with sportbikes. but rarely do you meet one who actually rides. it has gotten better in the past 3 years, but it's still rare that you run into a girl at the track who's actually racing. and it's sad to say, but a lot of the girls that do ride don't seem to have any real passion for the bike.

but as my desire to never leave anything alone is slowly invading my integra, i noticed that a lot of girls are into imports. i mean my soon-to-be wife has a civic, but it's definitely not racer. but i've been seeing a lot of girls with some pretty stout looking imports.

what's the change? is it just that women are finally believing that girls can do anything, besides wearing a t-shirt that says it? or is it something about the way that a lot of imports are more cosmetic in nature that appeals to women.

anyway, sorry if i insulted anyone, i understand i am as subtle as a sledgehammer. i'm just curious. and yes, i understand that there are fast imports and fast cars driven and maintained by women and i have been smoked at the track by a female roadracer (samatha something) and i'm sure there are great bmx and skate betties, i'm not trying to get anyone mad. just curious.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:03 PM   #2
mylittlecivic

Im not sure what it is I guess its just the new 'generation' Girls want something they go for it.They aren't subjected to doing house chores or looking pretty anymore I guess its like a new kind of freedom or something. It's not hard to get a hold of an import or to fix them up and have a nice car. And ahh I love bmx so fun

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 03:13 PM   #3
BlackWolf
La Loba Loca

I've always been into cars & bikes, ever since I can remember. It was wierd for me growing up because I really didn't have any girl friends 'cause they never had anything interesting to say. I always hung out with the guys and that was unheard of then. Over the years, I've learned a lot about cars from the guys/boyfriends, epecially from my ex who was a Toyota mech w/his own shop and raced cars with him. Yes, we are a rare breed indeed. Also, not to many of us aren't dykes so be careful what you wish for................me? I enjoy the pleasure stick too much to give that up.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:21 AM   #4
fzr400tony

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackWolf
Yes, we are a rare breed indeed. Also, not to many of us aren't dykes so be careful what you wish for................me? I enjoy the pleasure stick too much to give that up.

trust me, not looking to hook up with a car chick. i'm getting married this saturday. but i'll keep that in mind 7 years from now. just kidding.

seriously, women add something to a sport. it's a good thing to have you all involve, no matter which y'all go.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:30 AM   #5
trbodreams

Me personally have been into cars since I was young..I took Automotive Tech in highschool and worked as a mechanic shortly after hs till I found out that it's hard for a female in that field. Anyways..I haven't always been into imports, in hs I was the biggest GM fan "nothing can beat a domestic" till I got a 97 Camaro Z28 and it was complete junk. So I decided to change up a bit and buy a honda. And here I am..a proud honda owner and a import tuner. I think some girls do it for attention..some do it b/c they actually like the sport..and some just want to make there car pretty. I am glad that more girls are getting into this sport..it shows that sometimes some of us ladies can do just what the guys can do and sometimes better
Old 06-18-2003, 06:46 AM   #6
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Im with you Tony, its nice to see a change.

Good luck with the wedding, and welcome to the club! (Old married mans club that is.)
Old 06-18-2003, 07:01 AM   #7
fzr400tony

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Im with you Tony, its nice to see a change.

Good luck with the wedding, and welcome to the club! (Old married mans club that is.)

thanks. truth is, i can't wait.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:59 AM   #8
msvtec14

Hmmmm. I don't think that there has been a signifigant increase of girls that are really into cars, bikes and etc. At least where I am. I guess I can say that I have seen a few more girls around w/maybe rims and some Altezzas or what have you. Honestly, if there was an increase it was probably because The Fast and The Furious introduced a lot to people that did not really know much about modifying cars. Not that it was really that educational at all.
I have always been really into cars. I have always liked "guy stuff". I'll spend a couple hours on my car but then I will spend a couple hours getting ready to go out or whatever.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:10 PM   #9
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by fzr400tony
thanks. truth is, i can't wait.

Ive been married a little over a year.. I couldnt be happier!

If your wifes anything like mine, life wont be to bad.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:35 PM   #10
maikoshi

Exactly what msvtec said. I've always liked things I wasn't 'supposed' to. I'm not manly, I'm girly and damn proud of everything I do yet I do get called a lesbian sometimes cuz I don't always need a guy there holdin my hand doin everything for me. I think I work extra hard doin stuff because my parents don't get it at all.

They'd like me to never date, get married have at least 1 kid and stay at home doin' stuff. Or when I surf they think it's just the most horrible thing ever.

But then again, girls who are all macho get pissed off at me cuz I do some things that they do, only I'm girly about it. I guess they feel I don't have the right or something *shrug* Dunno. But what's wrong with surfin with waterproof lipstick on?
Old 06-19-2003, 08:25 AM   #11
msvtec14

maikoshi, I do find something wrong w/waterproof lipstick!!! I can't seem to find one that does not dry out when I am out in the sun. I was ocean fishing the other day and I was having issues with that. Anywho, yeah I think there are some issues w/being a girl that likes "guy" stuff. When you're a girl that's into "guy" stuff, you tend to have a lot of male friends along w/your female friends. This might sound stupid but since I have been in a serious relationship, I had to stop a lot of that. I just put myself in the other shoes and asked myself how I would feel if my boyfriend was hanging out w/all these girls all the time. I would be pissed. He's really into cars too so we do the car show thing and etc.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:38 PM   #12
spoogenet

The three examples you provided, BMX, skating, and sport bikes are all have two big things in common....an adrenaline rush and a significantly increased risk of injury. Those are two things that guys, in general, go after much more than girls. I don't see many girls into ATVs or motocross either.....coincidence?

Just about everybody owns a car, and tricking it out is no more risky than owning a normal car.....well, unless you include street racing and theives. But we'll keep it simple.....and it can be about show, go, or a combination of the two. Either way it's a fun hobby but it's only risky and an adrenaline rush if people make it that way.....I don't know if there are, but I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't many girls into street racing.

b