Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2003, 10:44 AM   #1
MemnochSF

Turbocharging???

I'm looking to add a turbo to my '02 S2000.
Only problem is I don't know much about them at all.... From what I understand, I need to get a custom made intake manifold, turbo, wastegate, intercooler, relocate oil filter, custom downpiping, basic modifications to fit my specific car. What I don't get is the electronics and fuel management stuff.

Greddy has their e-manage, what does that do?
What does a programmable piggy backed ECU do?
What's a fuel management system? Fuel regulator? Fuel rail?
What's a stand alone fuel management system?
And out of all these parts, do I need all of them? Or one part instead of another??

Also understand that I need a boost controller and highly recommend a turbo timer.

Another thing that I'm learning is that tuning can make or break my engine. There are a few internet sites out there selling full kits, all around $5000, they claim there tuning and tuning and tuning to get the best performance. Now the local performance shop is willing to make their own custom kit. This place has been around for awhile and has a pretty reputable name. I went to visit the shop and their currently doing about 6 custom jobs now. But when I asked how they tune, I got the impression they just watch a gauge at a certain level, then set it. Since this is such a crucial stage to a turbo, shouldn't there be some more precise way to do it. Or is it really just a matter and watching gauges and when reaching certain levels thats it???

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Stephen