::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2004, 09:33 PM   #1
97CivicBoy

revving hard....

ok so i drive an auto 97 lx....and i rev it prety hard most of the time to about 5-5.5....my bro says this is really bad for the car...is this tru..i mean i kno thats its not great...but i need to get it up to speed....lately my car idles like crazy at red lights...like shakes n shit...what is this from and is this from flooring i also dont have an O2 sensor...never got around to replacing it...my mechainc jsu turns of the check engine light...is that a proglem...and where can i get a cheap one from....
97CivicBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 09:49 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

reving to 5.5 isnt going to hurt it at all...tell your brother to shut up. The only thing youre doing is wasting gas and forcing loose carbon build-up off your head parts.
Its good to rev your engine high now and then (I do it several times per tank, every tank).

Get either a denso or oem o2 sensor...nothing else. Trust me. The bosch are shi-at and WILL die quickly.
Denso will be cheaper than oem (but is oem spec and is what honda uses stock).
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 10:00 PM   #3
soundspeed

I agree with pdigg on both accounts. Honda motors are built to rev high, most of them redline at 7. If your motor is in good running condition they can take a beating. I've had two hondas. My prevoius one had over 180,000kms on it and it ran as strong as the day I got it, it pulled harder than my buddies '00 civic. Iv'e never had problems with either car other than replacing a clutch when I first bought the other car. If you take care of the engine it will be around for a long time.

The Only Replacement For Displacement...Is Technology
soundspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 11:01 PM   #4
97CivicBoy

when u mean take care of the engine waht do u mean by that...i do tell my bro to shutup lol....i mean u gotta rev a stock civic to get it up to ne type of speed...my car as 107k by the way...what do u think the idling is from...like sometimes it really shakes...like it feels lke its gonna stall even tho its auto...sometimes it doesnt do shit...i put that engine thing in for high mile cars or something...but what else is there...other thatn its smooth...sometimes the gears dont shift smmooth tho...like it will uprev by itself its weird
Old 08-09-2004, 02:14 AM   #5
CD5Passion

my ex's car idles really hard, it sounds like it's gonna stall all the time and she was told that it is caused by 3 of her 4 plugs putting out a low spark or misfiring forgot which she said. but do you think this could be a problem you are having?
Old 08-09-2004, 07:05 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i don't see a problem with the reving, but for the rough idle you can do a little tuneup on the car and also have the tranny fluid changed and the ecu reset. did u jump start anyone lately ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:40 AM   #7
soundspeed

When was the last time you did a tune up...plugs,wires, distributor cap, and rotor, also fuel filter. Have you done your timing belt yet? Also your timing may just need to be adjusted.

Old 08-09-2004, 09:24 AM   #8
biker's back

Some of you must be really dumb.

The higher you rev a motor the more times per second the valves have to open and close. Yes honda motors are built to rev, and they get most of their power from the high revs but if you want a motor to last, no matter how its build the lower the revs the better.

Ever wonder why people buy old ladies cars? Its not because they rev the crap out of them.

I can't believe some people believe the shit that comes out of their mouths.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:39 AM   #9
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

does rev it pretty hard most the time mean every stoplight? cause if thats the cause, then yes, you are wearing your motor out fast. im a firm believer in sohc motors are not ment to be beaten on daily. i have seen 3 friends form personal experience rev the shit out of their motors daily and they mysteriously had 2340876128934629873451234689 problems with their cars. it MAY be a coencidence, however im willing to bet if you consistantly beat on your car, thatit will show wear faster.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:37 AM   #10
soundspeed

I wouldn't beat on it everyday but every so often is fine. Iv'e never had problems with my honda's.

Old 08-09-2004, 12:24 PM   #11
97CivicBoy

i wouldtn say beat it on it everydya...what i do is when i drive i try to contorl the trevs myself...even tho its an auto i will let go of the gas when it reaches a certain reev...it kinda jerks like manaul which is gay but i dunno if thsi si a good thing or bad thign to do....and i dunno when i got my lsat tuneup....when i bout the car at like 70k the guy who had it b4 me said eh chagnd teh timing belt and now i am at 107k....so i dunno tahnks for the info
Old 08-09-2004, 12:41 PM   #12
biker's back

THe point of an auto is not to think about the shifting. Don't control the revs by letting off the gas for everything shift, thats stupid.

Just keep your foot in the same position, they aren't designed to have someone doing what you're doing.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:03 PM   #13
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 97CivicBoy
i wouldtn say beat it on it everydya...what i do is when i drive i try to contorl the trevs myself...even tho its an auto i will let go of the gas when it reaches a certain reev...it kinda jerks like manaul which is gay but i dunno if thsi si a good thing or bad thign to do....

Like Rob said, just drive it like an auto. Put your foot on the gas and go. BTW, jerks like a manual? Mine doesn't jerk when I drive it...

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:04 PM   #14
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

jerks like a manual? umm... maybe i drive my car different than most but when i shift its rather smooth

and yes, dont try and control your revs, it can only do hard since the auto tranny counts on consistant power when shifting in order to engage the clutches and transfer power to the next gear.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:22 PM   #15
CD5Passion

i think I have pretty smooth shifting, hell my friends 2k1 accord jerks harder than my car and his is an auto....of course there is supposably a problem with the tranny in those year accords
Old 08-09-2004, 01:29 PM   #16
biker's back

honda has never been known for its smooth auto tranny, however they do last for ages.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:07 PM   #17
pimpinprelude

iam glad i have a 5 speed.. autos sucks.. just my 2c..
pimpinprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 05:56 PM   #18
biker's back

Quote:
Originally posted by pimpinprelude
iam glad i have a 5 speed.. autos sucks.. just my 2c..

With where the auto industry is headed, it wouldn't make sense in short order to buy anything but an auto.

They're just the same if not better with gas mileage and they are improving the power transfer and shifts to the point where you won't be able to beat the same car in auto in a manual. Give it 5 years and there will be less people like you waving your clutch around.

Performance, gas mileage, easy of use and no bad shifts. I think people who drive will give up the clutch in favor of the padel shifters.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:43 AM   #19
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

umm i beat on the accord for the past 100k miles. i checked the compression at 180k and guess what ? still 192 psi same as new. that's with the carbon buildup removed. once the compression went below that and i was burning oil but that proved to be because one of my valves was missadjusted and it would stay partially open while it was supposed to be fully closed. after i did my valve lash adjustament the car never had any problems.

i havd only 2 problems with my tranny in the 90k miles: one burnt shift solenoid ($200 for the parts and 10 minutes to fix) and the ever continuin rough shift, rough idle in drive or reverse. a tranny flush will take care of tat problem. i guess honda knows why it reccomends 25-30k miles for the first tranny fluid change, and 15k miles after that. and one more thing: use the honda atf, cheaper than at the ap stores and the car shifts a lot better.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote