Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2005, 01:30 AM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Mindfuck movies from your childhood

Any kid born between the late 70s and early 80s can appreciate this one. I guess I never really thought about how many movies came out when we were kids that are so incredibly fucked up. Of course, when you first saw them, you thought it was just a kickass fantasy flick. Now, looking back, they're almost impossible to watch without saying "how the fuck did a human being think all of this up?". So let's hear your lists. I'll start off with 5 of the more obvious examples:

The Secrets Of Nihm (craziest/darkest cartoon ever. Incredibly bizarre...even for Disney)

The Dark Crystal (all-Jim Henson puppet cast...age of chaos...another planet)

Willow (midget saves Elora Danan in George Lucas/Ron Howard freak world which explains Val Kilmer's appearance as Madmartigan)

The Never Ending Story (huge dog looking dragon thing named Falkor takes Atreyu on a crazy adventure. Despite the title, 2 sequels follow.)

Labrynth (David Bowie...Jennifer Connelly...more Jim Henson puppets...contact juggling)

You have your assignment...now think of some more.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika

Last edited by GT40FIED : 04-24-2005 at 01:34 AM.
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:12 AM   #2
RxGoaT13
4th Gear

Legend,haha

I watched "little monsters" agian recently, it was kinda weird.
[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=little+monsters/v=2/SID=w/l=IVI/SIG=128pghlib/EXP=1114413119/*-http%3A//dvdzap.ca/dvd-imgs/2310d0/little-monsters.jpg[/IMG]
RxGoaT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:31 AM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i have no clue what you are talking about

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:48 AM   #4
CD5Passion

I think you pretty much pulled together the only fucked ones I remember watching and those being
The Labrynth, Dark Crystal, and The Never Ending Story

one I remember seeing back in like 3rd or 4th grade which I always thought was kinda weird was "Little Nemo" which is about a boys dream world that fades into reality and something about a secret that can destroy both worlds...
Old 04-24-2005, 03:13 AM   #5
mylittlecivic

hey i like that shit

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 04:24 AM   #6
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I also remember Drop Dead Fred the first movie I ever saw that gave me a disturbed feeling about mental illness.

And I'm with you Anna...I love these movies...it's just now that I'm older they fuck with my head a little bit.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 04-24-2005, 08:52 AM   #7
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Out of all the movies you listed, Steve, I can only now watch parts of labrynth and the other day I watched 1/2 of never ending story...the rest I cant stand, and I used to love all those movies.
Now its just "how the hell could any adult stand this?" I feel bad for my parents, who sat through it.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:35 AM   #8
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i remeber secret of nhimn, thatr was a fucked up movie now that i think back to it

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:34 PM   #9
dabouncerx24

I was born in 87...so I've never even heard of those movies. The only "fucked up" movie I can remember from my childhood was probably the very first The Ring from Japan, I was like 11 or 12 back then.
dabouncerx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:44 PM   #10
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by dabouncerx24
I was born in 87...so I've never even heard of those movies. The only "fucked up" movie I can remember from my childhood was probably the very first The Ring from Japan, I was like 11 or 12 back then.

Shit...that makes me feel old.

Old 04-24-2005, 08:54 PM   #11
thermal
Banning Machine

Dude, I'm probably the oldest here now since Chief left... lol.

I see what you mean Steve. The one that I really cant stand now is "Little Shop of Horror".... shit is so annoying.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:27 PM   #12
CD5Passion

dude I was born in 86 and I've seen almost all of em thats no excuse
Old 04-25-2005, 12:03 AM   #13
dabouncerx24

Oh...if you say so.

Then I guess its personal taste then?

BTW, for the 3rd time, check ur PM box would you.
dabouncerx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:34 AM   #14
esthirteen

all of them are crazy. labyrinth was basically a musical which was so annoying as hell.

i worked at a video store so yea.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:56 AM   #15
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by thermal
Dude, I'm probably the oldest here now since Chief left... lol.

I see what you mean Steve. The one that I really cant stand now is "Little Shop of Horror".... shit is so annoying.

How old are you Arnel? Oh...and how'd you like "Night Watch", by the by?

Old 04-25-2005, 07:13 AM   #16
AeroRob454

Labrynth all the way baby. The Dark Crystal, The Secret of Nihm, The Never Ending Story... no wonder I am the way that I am. I watched these movies over and over as a kid.

Legend has to be Tim Currys best performance ever aside from the Butler in Clue.
AeroRob454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:26 AM   #17
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Haha. Listen to my drunken roommate, for he knows of what he speaks.

Old 04-26-2005, 06:48 PM   #18
VonDigger

I was born in 71, you think those movies were fucked, there were some really screwed movies back in the day. One that comes to mind is the Original Heavy Metal animated movie. Another one was the original movie of The Shining with Jack Nicholson.

VonDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:53 PM   #19
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by VonDigger
I was born in 71, you think those movies were fucked, there were some really screwed movies back in the day. One that comes to mind is the Original Heavy Metal animated movie. Another one was the original movie of The Shining with Jack Nicholson.

Well...while those are both good examples (although I never thought Heavy Metal was any good), I'm talking more about movies actually marketed to kids. I've been re-watching these movies over the past few days and have come to the conclusion that anyone marketing these movies to kids has no soul. I personally loved them as a kid...but they probably damaged me psychiatrically.

Old 04-26-2005, 06:59 PM   #20
VonDigger

I gotcha, The ones that were listed, Secret of Nihm, Labrynth, Willow and Never Ending Story have to be the best examples. Hell, I'm so damn old I can remember the Banana Splits Movie. I don't think that you could get that on DVD, the was also HR Puffin Stuff, which I think the creators were puffin way to much stuff to come up with that one. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Puff the Magic Dragon. And the story behind the movie is it was made after a hippie drug smoking song LMAO.

Old 04-26-2005, 07:06 PM   #21
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
I gotcha, The ones that were listed, Secret of Nihm, Labrynth, Willow and Never Ending Story have to be the best examples. Hell, I'm so damn old I can remember the Banana Splits Movie. I don't think that you could get that on DVD, the was also HR Puffin Stuff, which I think the creators were puffin way to much stuff to come up with that one. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Puff the Magic Dragon. And the story behind the movie is it was made after a hippie drug smoking song LMAO.

All of that Sid & Marty Croft stuff...Banana Splits, H.R. Puffinstuff, Sigmund & The Sea Monster, Land Of The Lost...it was all completely fucked. In high school we used to tape the marathons they'd run on TV of H.R. Puffinstuff and save it for later when we had acid (yeah...it's stupid...I was in high school). After doing that, I would never suggest watching shows like that under the influence.

Old 04-26-2005, 07:09 PM   #22
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
How old are you Arnel? Oh...and how'd you like "Night Watch", by the by?

I cant find Night Watch for some reason. I'm still workin on a few movies: Dead or Alive II, Fighter in the Wind, blah blah blah. Everybody here needs to watch some of the shit that you and I watch. Japan movies are very different. Like you said before, it jacks up a person's perpective on movies.....

I'm old dude. I'm about to turn 32 this year.... ha ha. But I'm young at heart. This car stuff keeps me that way...

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 04-26-2005, 07:14 PM   #23
VonDigger

Well dude, your not the oldest here, I got a year on ya LOL.

Old 04-26-2005, 07:16 PM   #24
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by thermal
I cant find Night Watch for some reason. I'm still workin on a few movies: Dead or Alive II, Fighter in the Wind, blah blah blah. Everybody here needs to watch some of the shit that you and I watch. Japan movies are very different. Like you said before, it jacks up a person's perpective on movies.....

I'm old dude. I'm about to turn 32 this year.... ha ha. But I'm young at heart. This car stuff keeps me that way...

NIGHT WATCH (russian with eng. subs)

The whole DOA trilogy is the shit. Takashi Miike + Takeuchi Riki = ownage. Fighter In The Wind was awesome, too. While the Japanese and Chinese tie for first in martial arts movies, Korean is a close second along with Thailand.

And 32? Double you tee eff? Man...from your pics I would've guessed 25 max. I guess I'll just have to refer to you as "old man" from now on.

Old 04-26-2005, 07:18 PM   #25
Violent Apathy

NIGHT COURT!!!!!

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Violent Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:24 PM   #26
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Violent Apathy
NIGHT COURT!!!!!

You know Victor...comments like that make me think you'll be receiving a section 8 promptly.

Old 04-26-2005, 08:16 PM   #27
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
NIGHT WATCH (russian with eng. subs)

The whole DOA trilogy is the shit. Takashi Miike + Takeuchi Riki = ownage. Fighter In The Wind was awesome, too. While the Japanese and Chinese tie for first in martial arts movies, Korean is a close second along with Thailand.

And 32? Double you tee eff? Man...from your pics I would've guessed 25 max. I guess I'll just have to refer to you as "old man" from now on.

DL in progress. Thanks mang.

I wish I'm only that old. My girlfriend/fiance' is only 21.... lol

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 04-26-2005, 08:18 PM   #28
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Well dude, your not the oldest here, I got a year on ya LOL.

It's okay man. After I turned 25, I seem to have ignored that I'm getting old.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 04-27-2005, 11:17 AM   #29
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Gremlins was kind of out there...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087363/

Willow was f-ed up though. Midgets are creepy.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:32 PM   #30
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

You all named most of the ones I can think of.. Dont forget Beetle Juice..

This one is newer, but Fight Club... It was pretty twisted also.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:49 PM   #31
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Man...if you thought Fight Club was twisted, Identity would destroy your brain. Same goes for The Machinist.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:17 AM   #32
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Never seen either, I dont believe.

I tend to watch mainly comedy movies. The dumber the better, IMO.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:09 PM   #33
Sivik

what was the one movie that had strawberrys in a jar and someone would eat them or something? maybe it wasn't strawberries but something red and they were disappearing and someone had to be stopped before they are all out. can't think of the name.

My Car

My Car is for sale
Sivik is offline   Reply With Quote