Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Smoke weed?

As many of you know, I'm not for smoking weed. I did my fair share and your fair share and your friend's fair share when I was in high school...but I've moved on. HOWEVER...there's a new law being presented in congress that would essentially turn everyone around you (and you yourself) into a spy in the "war on drugs" (which I'm pretty sure we lost in the 80's). I wish I were making this up. Here's a brief overview: http://www.drugpolicy.org/news/051805sensen.cfm . For you lazy bastards who don't like to read, here's a quick excerpt:

Quote:
This bill would have serious consequences for our democracy, requiring you to spy on all your neighbors, including going undercover and wearing a wire if needed. Refusing to become a spy for the government would be punishable by a mandatory prison sentence of at least two years.

Quote:
Here are some examples of offenses you would have to report to the police within 24 hours:

- You see someone you know pass a joint to a 20-year old college student.

- Your cousin mentions that he bought Ecstasy for some of his college friends.

- You find out that your brother, who has kids, recently bought a small amount of marijuana to share with his wife.
Your substance-abusing daughter recently begged her boyfriend to find her some drugs even though they're both in drug treatment.

In each of these cases you face jail time if you don't call the police within 24 hours. It doesn't matter if the offender is your friend or relative. It also doesn't matter if you need 48 hours to think about it. You have to report the person to the government within 24 hours or go to jail. You also have to assist the government in every way, including wearing a wire if needed. Refusing to cooperate would cost you at least two years in prison (possibly up to ten). In addition to turning family member against family member, the legislation could also put many Americans into dangerous situations by forcing them to go undercover to gain evidence against strangers.

That's right...don't wanna spy on your friends? BAM! Two years in jail. What I'm left pondering is how could this in any way be legal? Or moreover, how many parts of the constitution does it violate?

I may disagree with the use of most drugs, but I value personal freedoms much MUCH more than I care about someone smoking a joint.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika

Last edited by GT40FIED : 06-07-2005 at 02:12 PM.
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
CD5Passion

wow......wtf?
is our government trying to piss everyone off?
Old 06-07-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

^yes...they do that on a weekly basis, if not sooner.

Fuck that. My friends go "straight west coastin" all the time...Im not about to turn them in for a little weed.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:29 PM   #4
IALuder

hahahah, yea and over crowed the already overcrowed jails. fuck youd never get a 2yr sentence for that.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
AkimboStylee

i just recently stopped, and i dont think i will ever go back to that lifestyle.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:18 PM   #6
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

this is going to cost how much money to stop what? people from not doing anything? c'mon go after a real crime.

"what are you in for? well my neighbor smokes and i didnt narc on him, i jsut went about my life since he wasnt bothering anyone."

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 07:30 PM   #7
CD5Passion

I smoke from time to time...I don't do it religiously or anything...just when we party...
Old 06-07-2005, 08:02 PM   #8
AkimboStylee

thats how it started with me, and then everyother day; every day; every hour, and just up and quit because i hated myself to the point i had to smoke more to relax. no i feel so good, becauseknow i have alot of extra money to spend on project ef-9
Old 06-07-2005, 08:35 PM   #9
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

I love Canada.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:55 PM   #10
Mischief

I'm gonna move in with you Kwik

http://mensalmanac.com
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:08 PM   #11
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Mischief
I'm gonna move in with you Kwik

No shit. I'm seriously considering moving to Germany when I'm done with school. Great country and I know enough German to get by. This is just one of a handful of new laws I've got problems with. One (which I believe may have passed already) prescribes mandatory psych evals for school age children up to 18. Normally this wouldn't bug me, but since it's been put forth by the govt., I wouldn't be suprised if those profiles end up in some national registry that flag certain individuals and provide ammunition against you later in life.

I read an interview the other day with a holocaust survivor who was taking his whole family back to Germany. Why? He said that he "had seen this type of thing before" and wasn't waiting around for the other shoe to drop.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 06-07-2005, 10:17 PM   #12
Wren57

That law won't ever make it through the Supreme Court... at least they seem to be decently intelligent enough to not break the constitution so obviously.

That said, I smoke every once in a while, maybe twice a week. I only do it when I have nothing I need to do for a few hours and normally try to do it with girls... they get so horny when they are high!
Old 06-07-2005, 11:14 PM   #13
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I love Canada.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:22 PM   #14
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:36 PM   #15
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

well.. since we're kinda on the topic, what exactly is canadas stance on it? its a ticket offence or something isnt it

Old 06-08-2005, 09:26 AM   #16
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Good question.
Also, how valid is this information?

While we're talking about weed, has anyone ever made the brownies?
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:38 AM   #17
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
Good question.
Also, how valid is this information?

I have no idea. I just know this isn't the first place I've seen a story about it.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:14 AM   #18
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
well.. since we're kinda on the topic, what exactly is canadas stance on it? its a ticket offence or something isnt it

Ticket...jail...the two of them...depending...

Old 06-08-2005, 11:35 AM   #19
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

ehh freaking governement. i am starting my own country

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #20
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
ehh freaking governement. i am starting my own country

Call it Petoria!

Old 06-09-2005, 10:34 AM   #21
nonovurbizniz

Well vancouver is considered "the amsterdam of the america's"

It's a ticketable offence but NOONE gets tickets... the only thing they crack down on in any way is distribution and grow operations...

But frankly there are (or were) "smoke shops/lounges" where you can go buy and consume pot w/o being arrested or harrassed...

Not sure exactly how it got to that point but it did.

As far as that law it either won't pass or it will be thrown out by the supreme court... it's unconstitutional... spouses don't have to testify against eachother.

And no citizen can be asked to endanger their own safty in order to collect information for the Gov't..

Over all though I'm with those for moving out... it's getting pretty F'ing rediculous here.

May I suggest New Zealand... it's actually supposed to be a nicer place to live than the US.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:13 PM   #22
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
Well vancouver is considered "the amsterdam of the america's"

It's a ticketable offence but NOONE gets tickets... the only thing they crack down on in any way is distribution and grow operations...

But frankly there are (or were) "smoke shops/lounges" where you can go buy and consume pot w/o being arrested or harrassed...

Not sure exactly how it got to that point but it did.

As far as that law it either won't pass or it will be thrown out by the supreme court... it's unconstitutional... spouses don't have to testify against eachother.

And no citizen can be asked to endanger their own safty in order to collect information for the Gov't..

Over all though I'm with those for moving out... it's getting pretty F'ing rediculous here.

May I suggest New Zealand... it's actually supposed to be a nicer place to live than the US.

ahhhh vancouver...espically British Columbia has amazing weed.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:22 PM   #23
AkimboStylee

Im staying my fat ass here in good ole' Palm Bay, Florida, where it is infested with old people, they sleep all of the time!!!!