::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
V8killimports

What video card should I get??

I returned my old video card form my old system which was an ATI Radeon X700 Pro. So I got a $279 credit at best buy to use on a video card. My new computer comes with an ATI X600, but I rather have something a little better since Ihave the credit.. but I don't know SHIT about video cards either. I don't mind spending a bit more than the credit to get something too. I need something that will give me crazy framerates at high resolutions and what not..

I was on the ATI site and it talks about some kinda Crossfire crap.. what is that? And what are the differences between the ATI X700 X800 X1300 X1600 series and the regular ATI Radeon 9550 and those cards?

AND.. what is the difference between PCI and AGP?

Last edited by V8killimports : 06-11-2006 at 04:52 PM.
V8killimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #2
blind34_1

279 will buy you a nice mid-range card these days. before you go and buy anything, you need to decide a few things.

1. does your motherboard support AGP or PCI-Express? AGP is older, and is being phased out. PCI-E is the new standard, and where all the new cards are going. i wouldnt spend any money on an agp card now, personally.

2. How long do you want this to last? The word is Vista will be using directx 10. no cards currently support it, so its a toss up whether you want to buy a good card now or wait until later.

I JUST built my brother a new system, and we used an x1800xt card from Sapphire. I believe it went for about 249. This card kicks ASS, as it is the best rated card in its mid-range class. check this link for the down and dirty:
http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2746&p=6

This is a pci express card, with 256mb. Good card, and I'm jealous. If interested, get the 100154L model, as it doesn't come with any extras, and you save money this way.

Crossfire is nothing to worry about. Crossfire is ATI's answer to nVidia's SLI, which allows you to use two cards tied together for better performance. The actual throughput for both of those standards is not a 2x gain, but it is impressive if you have the money to throw at it. You'll need two videocards from the same manufacturer designed to hook together, and a motherboard supporting SLI.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:34 AM   #3
Robert
R-Tard

vista beta requires a directx 9.0 video card with a min 128mb
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
blind34_1

yeah but i've heard that WHEN directx 10 comes out, which is reported to be sometime after the release of vista, we are all going to have to upgrade to take full advantage. Personally, I'm not going to worry about it for awhile.

I know that is an issue with some people I've talked to. Of course, when you've already dropped 600+ on a killer SLI setup, you probably wouldn't want to upgrade until after the directx10 cards are out.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote