Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2004, 02:07 PM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Thinking? That's for chumps!

Haha. But seriously...I've noticed something in last little while about this message board. Anytime myself or anyone else attempts to make a post about something significant or meaningful, it goes largely unnoticed. Why is that? I pondered posting about a movie I watched last night, "Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War On Journalism" in which it blasts Fox News for it's ridiculously biased views on the "news" they report and the spin they put on their stories. Then I figured...hey, why bother...nobody will respond to it. Sure, there's a few people who will predictably take the time to read it and make a response, but for the large part it will get ignored. I can make a post (as I did a while back) about global politics and how they effect all of us and it got something like 4 replies. But then, mostly as a joke, I start a thread about masturbation over in the Battle Of The Sexes forum (shameless plug...go post there too) and it becomes what is to my knowledge the largest thread on HST. Perhaps a car site isn't the best place to espouse one's sociopolitical, religious, or moral views...but at least it gets people talking and thinking. Or at least it should. Maybe I've got it all wrong...but I doubt it. So what gives folks? Why are many of us here so unlikely to post in thread of real substance? It evades me...but I'll sit back and wait for this thread to go largely unnoticed as well.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:19 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Honestly, I read and usually enjoy all of your meaningful posts here on HST. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't, but I usually get something out of them.

I really don't think that I have enough political knowledge to make good, well backed, responses to your posts... so I usually don't. Just saying, "Yeah, I agree" seems a little lame so I don't bother for the most part.

So there. Your posts don't go unnoticed, just unanswered

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:09 PM   #3
Violent Apathy

I used to love political discussions, but i hate getting into political arguments over the internet, it's pointless, no one wins heh. It just gets frustrating.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Violent Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:22 PM   #4
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Violent Apathy
I used to love political discussions, but i hate getting into political arguments over the internet, it's pointless, no one wins heh. It just gets frustrating.

Well it doesn't even have to be political. Besides, if you never argue with anyone about politics you'll never know how truely right you are. Mwahahaha. Plus it's always good to hear views from the other side of the table...because you know you'll hear it later on from someone else.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 08-24-2004, 03:32 PM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Id be willing to bet that its probably because people would rather just banter about "sex" than get political.
I really think politics is boring and I'll avoid it as much as possible...until it affects me, I mean.
Sure most news channels are biased...theyre full of people and people cant help but put out views and opinions. Maybe when screening for reporters, employers look for that (wouldnt surpise me)

But remember, my thread on hyperspace and time did pretty well.

Its just easier for everyone to relate to "I beat off in the shower", and "Hell yes I use my socks!", etc...than things that not everyone even knows about.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:46 PM   #6
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i think it comes down to research. people dont want to read and look into things that involve possibly proving their beliefs wrong and would rather not get involved than try to debate someone on a topic that they may not have either the knowladge or facts to support what they feel should be right.

i know exactly what your saying though, when i get around to making a meaningful post with sources and quotes, more than once its fallen to the gutter because when you present a educated argument, the only way to reply back in a meaningful way would be to also construct a well thought out idea/point/opnion/whathaveyou, and well, people are lazy.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:45 PM   #7
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

So...what about that sex stuff?

Kidding...but as for me to be perfectly honest, I have a short attention span and if it takes me more than a few minutes to read a post or if I can't get the gist of it in the first few sentences, I don't bother to read the rest.......

Quote:
Originally posted by IALuder
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:
Originally posted by MissJDM
Darin, please confirm that you don't like the cock!

HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #7
Anna Fan Club Member #1
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 05:56 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well remeber this board is mainly populated by hormone driven teenagers, whcih most of the time care about being laid and sex stuff like that. they don't put too much thought into whatever is going around them. as for me not posting about anything is that i can't really bring myself out of my lazyness to put out a long post about something, or do some research on it. plus most of the time it involves a political discussion or something more elevated i have to go to dictionary.com and find out the meaning of certain words.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 06:11 PM   #9
VR4_Craver
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AccordinStyle
but as for me to be perfectly honest, I have a short attention span and if it takes me more than a few minutes to read a post or if I can't get the gist of it in the first few sentences, I don't bother to read the rest.......

This is true from me to. Take Hondaman's post here

Quote:
well remeber this board is mainly populated by hormone driven teenagers, whcih most of the time care about being laid and sex stuff like that.

After reading this little bit I knew I would totally agree and could almost fill in the blanks after this word for word. GT most of your posts are long. And dont get me wrong when I do actually read them they are usually enlighting, I just cant read much of something like that.
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 06:17 PM   #10
mylittlecivic

I like them they're interesting and I always find stuff out i didnt know before on politics and stuff, but for me its time I barely have anytime on here without my own computer. And usually when I think a good thought in my head It comes out distorted:o

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 06:21 PM   #11
Violent Apathy

Besides the fact I usually agree with political shit you post so there's not much more for me to say GT.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Violent Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:24 AM   #12
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Violent Apathy
Besides the fact I usually agree with political shit you post so there's not much more for me to say GT.

Well of course you agree with me...I'm always right. Haha. Honestly...I'm starting to miss some of the people who DON'T agree with what I have to say. Things were more lively when I got to say someone was wrong.

Old 08-25-2004, 06:46 PM   #13
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
...I'm starting to miss some of the people who DON'T agree with what I have to say. Things were more lively when I got to say someone was wrong.

YOU'RE WRONG YOU'RE WRONG...EAT MY ASS!

Feel better now Steve?

Quote:
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:

Anna Fan Club Member #1
Old 08-25-2004, 07:12 PM   #14
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Well...ummmm...no. Eat my ass? Was that really necessary?

Old 08-25-2004, 07:19 PM   #15
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

Quote:
Well...ummmm...no. Eat my ass? Was that really necessary?

no but it sounded good...I think...I don't know...I was just trying to help....

Quote:
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:

Anna Fan Club Member #1
Old 08-25-2004, 07:53 PM   #16
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by AccordinStyle
no but it sounded good

That it did. I'll give you an A for effort.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:01 PM   #17
IALuder

i agree and disagree GT40. i mean sure most people wont responed for one main reason they dont care. like politics is something for people over 25. sure some of use younger crowd will discuss it, but most dont becuase they dont know whats going on. they also are never spoken to from politians. do you see kerry or bush talking the younger crowd of america. no it all drugged upped medicare old people and minorties.

a post on a movie will get more replies, then most anything. the masturbation for took off cuase its something everyone does. now we all discuss it freely. which could be a bad thing....

in some of your post i disagreed but never said anything. why, just didnt feel like. i wasnt all informed on the topic or just didnt care enough. like politics, i dont care. when my voice is heard maybe i will.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:40 PM   #18
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

Quote:
That it did. I'll give you an A for effort.

Thanks man...I appreciate that.....

Quote:
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:

Anna Fan Club Member #1
Old 08-26-2004, 09:56 PM   #19
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by SFKing
i agree and disagree GT40. i mean sure most people wont responed for one main reason they dont care. like politics is something for people over 25. sure some of use younger crowd will discuss it, but most dont becuase they dont know whats going on. they also are never spoken to from politians. do you see kerry or bush talking the younger crowd of america. no it all drugged upped medicare old people and minorties.

a post on a movie will get more replies, then most anything. the masturbation for took off cuase its something everyone does. now we all discuss it freely. which could be a bad thing....

in some of your post i disagreed but never said anything. why, just didnt feel like. i wasnt all informed on the topic or just didnt care enough. like politics, i dont care. when my voice is heard maybe i will.

Some of that I'll agree with, while some of it a perfect example of what's wrong with young people in America. Man...politics isn't just for people over 25. I'm 23 and I've been politically minded since before I was old enough to vote. It's painfully true that politicians don't talk to us, and that's a huge mistake. On the other hand, what they're doing does effect you. For instance, if the country goes to war, as it's seen fit to do lately, like it or not there's a possibility you could end up there whether you want to be or not. So that decision to wage war is a big factor in just about everyone's life. Sure, that's a drastic scenario, but it's just an example. There's a lot of other things that effect younger people that we ignore because we like to whine about how nobody's paying attention to us. Why? Young people are incredibly likely not to vote. Older people are much more likely to vote. So...who's your daddy? People who are in all likelyhood going to hit the polls on election day or people who are just gonna sit around, thumbs up their asses?