::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2002, 08:53 PM   #1
trabadoor22

aem or injen intake ?

i want to get either the aem or the injen short ram intake . just looking for some opinions on which i should go with . also if you have heard both , im curious as to which is quieter or would they be about the same ? thanks .
Old 11-13-2002, 09:03 PM   #2
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

aem cold air

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 09:14 PM   #3
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

well if youre going with a ram air options auto has some RS Akimoto ram intakes for less than $100 (there in clearance). its a good intake (what I have) and cheaper than either aem or injen.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 09:23 PM   #4
trabadoor22

thanks , but im only looking to get the aem or injen short ram intake . i found the aem for $90 at optionautosolon.com and the injen is i think $150 . i was just curious if the injen was any better otherwise ide just go with the aem . thanks again .
Old 11-13-2002, 10:13 PM   #5
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

aem and ijen are identical to my knowladge, aem was rated best cold air intake, why short ram, and not cold air?

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 10:33 PM   #6
trabadoor22

ok thanks . i want to go with a short ram so i dont have to worry about hydrolock . i live in ny and it tends to rain and snow alot , plus my friend had a cold air intake and his engine got messed up from water getting in from the intake . thanks though , ill just get the aem then .
Old 11-14-2002, 01:39 AM   #7
slowEJ6

whats the point in paying $90 for a short ram intake. go to pep boys and get an intake for like $40.

or...get the AEM CAI and cut it so you can switch from SRI to CAI. or get an ICEMAN - so you can take it apart to switch.
SRI sucks.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 02:25 AM   #8
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by slow ej6
or...get the AEM CAI and cut it so you can switch from SRI to CAI. or get an ICEMAN - so you can take it apart to switch.
SRI sucks.

Exactly. At least get a CAI that you can convert if you need to. Hydrolock isn't a huge problem if you drive safely. Get the AEM and a bypass valve if you're worried.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 11:12 AM   #9
Almighty-Si

Quote:
Originally posted by trabadoor22
ok thanks . i want to go with a short ram so i dont have to worry about hydrolock . i live in ny and it tends to rain and snow alot , plus my friend had a cold air intake and his engine got messed up from water getting in from the intake . thanks though , ill just get the aem then .

Did he drive through a lake? This flips my burger, I have been useing Cold Air Intakes forever and driven through all kinds of rain and snow and never hydrolocked.

The only way to hydrolock a motor with a Cold Air Intake is if you completely submerge the filter in water. So that means you would have to drive the car through a "puddle" of water that is at least a foot high. Now why would you want to drive a car through that much water anyway? Cold Air Intake or not i'm not going to drive my car through a foot of water, it's just stupid. Even if you didn't have a CAI on the car, there are other things that could happen to your car running through that kind of water.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:45 AM   #10
JDMB16

they are almost exactly the same in design. The person who started Injen is an ex-engineer for AEM and he branched off to start his own company. The Injen is overpriced
Old 11-15-2002, 12:39 PM   #11
SilVtec

If you get the cold air intake..you'll sacrifice a louder sound than the short ram gives. Short ram is a lot louder. Cold air intakes are better for performance though. Short rams do help for performance though.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:55 AM   #12
Almighty-Si

Quote:
Originally posted by JDMB16
they are almost exactly the same in design. The person who started Injen is an ex-engineer for AEM and he branched off to start his own company. The Injen is overpriced

Injen is actually R.S Akimoto. For a while when you looked at the Injen adds in magazines, if you looked at the bottom of the pages in the fine print it still said RS Akimoto. Could be a combination of the 2 though.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:04 PM   #13
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

injen is now injen but I did hear that they used to be akimoto. difference now is akimoto uses akimoto filters and injen uses k&n.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 08:06 PM   #14
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i have the AEM cai and i was scared about the water and stuff so i cut it to add the the bpv and i had it converted to a SRI for a while. while it was working as the sri it had a lot more sound and the car was reving a lot faster.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 12:38 PM   #15
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

AEM CAI is the way to go w/ a bypass valve..

worth the $ you spend the Injen just wants to much for there Intakes...
Old 11-20-2002, 12:55 PM   #16
nonovurbizniz

I've got an iceman and when i have it in short ram it's quite as stock. when i put on the extension it sounds REDICULOUS. I MEAN REAL LOUD.

also i used to switch the cold air on and off everytime it rained/stopped. Then I stopped doin that I've driven through tons of rain and lots of puddles nothin yet. Like the other guy said you have to be in a DEEP puddle.

GO ICEMAN they're GREAT