::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2002, 05:53 PM   #1
JamieS697

Small exhaust question

i bought a borla muffler for my 01 civic when they first installed it didnt sound different at all then they cut of the resignator and now it sounds okay.. Is borla a shitty muffler bc when i hear other 01 civics with diff exhaust they sound so much better
Old 11-30-2002, 05:58 PM   #2
oc civic

umm why does it matter what it sounds like??? its a shitty exhaust because it doesn't sound good???umm last time i checked an exhaust was goodor bad based on flow charecteristics...
Old 11-30-2002, 06:31 PM   #3
JamieS697

Yea it usually is but i truthfully dont care about that right now bc im not doin any under the hood work i was looking for sound
Old 11-30-2002, 06:57 PM   #4
Jeebs

*cough*rice*cough*
Old 11-30-2002, 06:59 PM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

if all you put on is a muffler then youre not going to get much difference in sound. the resonator is the thing that makes it sound different too.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 07:01 PM   #6
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeebs
*cough*rice*cough*

**werd**
Old 11-30-2002, 07:02 PM   #7
JamieS697

this is the stuff that pisses me off i asked a bunch of ppl they said that the muffler would be enough to make it sound good so are u saying the whole system was the way to go? Just for future ref..
Old 11-30-2002, 07:09 PM   #8
blind34_1

Borla is a good brand. When you say you want an exhaust that sounds good, how do you mean? Do you want the fart exhaust tip from APC that makes your car sound like a lawnmower on steriods? Trust me you dont want it, unless you WANT to be branded a ricer and laughed at behind your back.

Now, what you do want is a full performance exhaust that DOES give a good sound. Something like 2 3/4" inch piping with a high flow cat, and a DC header, with your Borla Muffler, will give you a truly good siounding and performing exhaust.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 07:13 PM   #9
JamieS697

the ppl with there rice rocket comments are in one ear out the other i just want it to sound like i hoped not that i threw money out the window but thx for the advice
Old 11-30-2002, 07:41 PM   #10
pdiggitydogg

yeah you really want a full setup catback. thats where the performance is. matching it with the high flow cat and header for all outward flow. the muffler is like putting a coffee stir through the bottom of a cup and expecting it to make it blow easier. but by swapping that whole coffee stir for a McDonalds size shake straw it will flow easier. But if you just put on the catback setup and not change the cat youre pinching that straw while you blow so youre limiting it again.
You can still keep that muffler though. Just head on over to your local Midas/Mineke and have them put on a full custom catback for less than $200 and is what a lot of people have...(4Jacks has that I think)
Old 11-30-2002, 07:46 PM   #11
oc civic

he already stated he doesn't care about performance.. he was just after the sound.. you know what sound he means.... and if you have any doubt of him beinga ricer please refer to his 17 in chrome rms thread.. look we all like differant stuff.. i he wants to rice out his ride.. thats his choice.. you honestly probably could just drill holes in the stock muffler and get the same effect...

but all of that looks and sound stuff is just not for me...
Old 11-30-2002, 07:50 PM   #12
pdiggitydogg

yeah i know what he said buy i was all into putting down my good analogy of an exhaust setup.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:45 AM   #13
Hyper2endless

Actually, the exhaust makes noise mostly in the lower to mid rpm's. The Intake makes most of the noise in the higher rpm's. I do agree with the others on buying a different exhaust brand that is a full cat, I recommend a Japanese maker since they are more experiance in your type of vehicle. In my opinion, Borla sux for the sound and power. Getting an intake should be the next thing u should get since all u want is the sound.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:53 AM   #14
JamieS697

What would be a good intake to get what is a reliable brand?
Old 12-01-2002, 11:24 AM   #15
pdiggitydogg

AEM, Injen, RS Akimoto, DC Sports are all good intakes. If you get cold air intake be sure to get a bypass vavle or you run the risk of hydrolocking the engine (by getting water in the intake). If youre really paranoid about this get a short intake then you run a much lower risk of it. I was paranoid and went with the short
Old 12-01-2002, 11:27 AM   #16
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
I was paranoid and went with the short

i also went with short and its fine.. i would also suggest short..
Old 12-01-2002, 12:35 PM   #17
pdiggitydogg

it makes the engine louder too (louder than cai) so that should match what youre looking for as far as sound
Old 12-02-2002, 08:02 PM   #18
nonovurbizniz

being scared of full length cai is like being scared of the dark. there is NO reason for it.

Would you EVER drive your car through a puddle over 1 foot deep???

If so the sure get an air-bypass valve... other wise got full length cai with NO bypass valve.

It's worked fine for me for over 2 years.

ICEMAN is also good. and if your still all scared of full length you can swap of the extension piece to make yourself feel better.

oh and mine is MUCH louder with the long intake not the short ram.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:01 PM   #19
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
being scared of full length cai is like being scared of the dark. there is NO reason for it.

Would you EVER drive your car through a puddle over 1 foot deep???

If so the sure get an air-bypass valve... other wise got full length cai with NO bypass valve.

It's worked fine for me for over 2 years.

ICEMAN is also good. and if your still all scared of full length you can swap of the extension piece to make yourself feel better.

oh and mine is MUCH louder with the long intake not the short ram.

no disrespect but who the hell cares which is louder....
Old 12-02-2002, 09:18 PM   #20
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by oc civic
no disrespect but who the hell cares which is louder....

maybe jamie9627. i cut the cai to add the bpv and when i had it short ram (smaked the bumper) it was louder. i really don't care about sound.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 10:52 AM   #21
Mushroom

I've heard some great sounding Borla systems, and in general I think they make high-quality mufflers. If you want to tune the sound better, larger-diameter exhaust piping will help a bunch, and getting rid of the plastic intake just as much.

I went 2.25", no resonator with my AEM CAI (no bypass) and it has a good deep, loud growl you'd proabably like.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:27 PM   #22
Quevv

Just sell back the damn muffler, put a coffee can on the tip of the exhaust, and drill holes in it. There problem solved, BIG muffler with mega sound
Old 12-05-2002, 11:06 PM   #23
JamieS697

I'm done commenting on this thread a few ppls info was very help full lets just say more than others for the few out there thx. But drill holes in a coffee can come on!!wtf???