User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2002, 08:33 AM   #41
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Actually consistancy is important in some races, take bracket racing for example. You want to have very consistant times in bracket racing, this will give you some serious upper hand..

EX.

A car runs 17s consistantly in the quarter.. When it comes time to race a car that runs 10s it will get a 7 second head start. This leaves little room for driver error for the 10 second car. If he jumps a light or misses a shift hes just lost to a 17 second car.

Well said. That would be embarassing.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:34 PM   #42
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i know this has been beaten with a stick, but if you actualy looked into the parts that you can upgrade an auto with like tq converters and stall launchers and al sorts of parts that actualy let you DRIVE the car like a manual you would see when it involves money for racing as a profession, or a hobby, you dont go and buy a manual because your too good for a auto or a auto because your a puss, you get the transmition you think you can be more consistant with. i dont care who you are, i goto the races at moroso motorsports park in west palm beach and there are quite a few mis-shifts in the PRO class, not just the street or the test and tune, but people who get paid to do this. my friend has a 300zx with a built automatic tranny, it pulls hard right upto redline and it snaps you back between gears, it dosnt chrip because its got 295 nitto nt-555r's in the back. a burnt clutch in a manual will kill your 1st to 2nd shift if you heat it to much durring a launch. im a die hard manual fan BTW but i cannot read this ignorance and let it just go unsettled. this post has turned all to hell, someone shut it down.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 05:59 PM   #43
Niacin

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict
Just because its an automatic doesn't make it a bad car. If you would stop & think for a second you could see come logic in have an automatic. Like tightteg pointed out, less room for human error. And the reason people defend automatics its because they have been educated and understand the topic.

Outstanding comment. More to the point, my warmed over auto with a converter will boil the rubber in a 60mph downshift, so look out. I'll also never go 3-2 instead of 3-4 in a street race and punch the block out the hood. : pop :

Also, the fastest 1/4 cars are auto, because they're soo much more consistent. Granted, manual's have their place in autox and road racing, but don't diss the auto simply because you don't like them.

Cheers,
Max
Old 03-04-2002, 08:48 PM   #44
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Actually consistancy is important in some races, take bracket racing for example. You want to have very consistant times in bracket racing, this will give you some serious upper hand..

EX.

A car runs 17s consistantly in the quarter.. When it comes time to race a car that runs 10s it will get a 7 second head start. This leaves little room for driver error for the 10 second car. If he jumps a light or misses a shift hes just lost to a 17 second car.

ohh so that means that i could win to a supre or something fast ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 09:21 PM   #45
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac

Big emphasis on could.....
Old 03-04-2002, 09:53 PM   #46
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by Niacin

I'll also never go 3-2 instead of 3-4 in a street race and punch the block out the hood. : pop :

just got done with that ordeal, it was a $1100 mistake. or a expesive tune up, how ever you want to look at it.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 07:22 AM   #47
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac

yeah, in bracket racing its completely possible.. Theres no room for errors.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:51 AM   #48
jewbacca

Quote:
Originally posted by Niacin

Granted, manual's have their place in autox and road racing, but don't diss the auto simply because you don't like them.

Cheers,
Max

Haha, that is what Democracy is all about, opinions!
And that is my opinion. Look at how many people got into this conversation, I think it was and is very helpful
Old 03-05-2002, 11:07 AM   #49
tightteg52

Quote:
Originally posted by jewbacca

Haha, that is what Democracy is all about, opinions!
And that is my opinion. Look at how many people got into this conversation, I think it was and is very helpful

we're here to help and teach!