::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2004, 02:08 PM   #1
Wren57

need help w/ resume

My habits (cars, women, alcohol, others) are quickly draining my bank account. In contrary to the Tom Petty quote, instead of becoming a waste and just saying F*ck it all and being a bum, I'm gonna correct this by getting a job and keeping myself in the green. I do need some help getting my resume together, as there isn't much to say on it for a college student. The only jobs I've held are

Accounting Assistant
5/28/1998 - 5/20/2002

Investment Officer's Assistant
5/20/2002 - Present

I really don't know what else to put on my resume other than I seek a proffesional work environment with a company motive and strong worker morale, and of course, betterment of myself and/or my position. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:40 PM   #2
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

your in college... i say get a job that requires no additional stress in your life. i know pay will suck, but you'll meet new friends instead of adult co-workers that you cant really talk about your personal life with. my 2 cents. im working at subway... its by far the lowest paying job ive had(6.25 comparied to my next lowest paying job@4+tips which came out to no less than 10 an hour, and my highest averaging 15-20 an hour waiting tables), and the most degrating imo, but theres hot girls working there, i get free food, and i make enough money to support whatever the habit of the week/month is.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:14 PM   #3
Wren57

Yeah, I know what ur sayin... for the past two years I've had a $10/hour job helping out some stock brokers (work I LOVE, I've personally been invested in the market for over a decade)... I'm just a little hesitant to drop back down to a 6 or $7/hour job...
Wren57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:45 PM   #4
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Well since you have some experience, but not lots, you'll need to emphasize your skills developed at school. List your proficiencies, etc.

Be concise, don't ramble on just because you don't feel that you have enough solid information to write.

BTW, I think you're doing the right thing trying to get a good job. Its something to add to your resume and will look good when you're done with school.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
DsBlu01CivEX

to tell ya the truth, if you're going to be looking for a job in a specific field (which by your post is what you're looking for) you should go talk to your advisor or make an appt with your schoool's career center. Most professional jobs have certain criteria and items they are looking for on a resume. Like for my resume I have to make sure that I have the mapping programs I know and other skills I have in geography worked into my resume. Since you already have experience in the investment world, I think you should add what exactly you did at those jobs. And definitely be short and sweet. No resume should be more than a page (maybe 2...but even that is pushing it).

I agree that once you graduate it will look at lot better to a potential employer that you worked while attending college.

http://www.myspace.com/kenike
DsBlu01CivEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:53 PM   #6
Daviso27
3rd Gear

Re: need help w/ resume

Quote:
Originally posted by highlander
My habits (cars, women, alcohol, others) are quickly draining my bank account. In contrary to the Tom Petty quote, instead of becoming a waste and just saying F*ck it all and being a bum, I'm gonna correct this by getting a job and keeping myself in the green. I do need some help getting my resume together, as there isn't much to say on it for a college student. The only jobs I've held are

Accounting Assistant
5/28/1998 - 5/20/2002

Investment Officer's Assistant
5/20/2002 - Present

I really don't know what else to put on my resume other than I seek a proffesional work environment with a company motive and strong worker morale, and of course, betterment of myself and/or my position. Any ideas? Thanks.

Yo!

I had a career development class in which the teacher wrote her thesis on how to write a resume...She interviewed hundreds of employers on what they want to see, and what they do not want to see on resumes...PM me with your email and I'll send you some sample .doc(s).
Daviso27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 11:44 PM   #7
Loki

I would look at like the campus newspaper in the classifieds or in some of the local newspapers for jobs. Maybe there you can find something close to what you are looking for. If not, a pay cut wouldn't be all that bad, especially if you don't have any money coming in. I don't know how the town is you go to college in is either, but if its anything like where I am at you can expect a pretty big pay cut. Part time jobs here are in such high demand that places will absolutely rape you on wages. But some money is better than no money.

And if you do in fact need a resume for what you are looking for, Daviso27 has some pretty helpful info on that sort of thing.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:41 AM   #8
mylittlecivic

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
its by far the lowest paying job ive had 6.25

is that the miniumum wage in FL? it's $7.05 here now.....

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 01:20 AM   #9
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

heh its actually 5.45 i think maybe 5.65

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 03:09 AM   #10
silver

first thing u need to realize is that every possible employer knows that half of the resume is bullshit anyways. i hired my first employee when i was 19, i've done countless interviews and blah blah blah...its the same thing on every resume, you have to make yours stand out. flaunt what you have and make it look so important that the company you worked for would not have been able to survive had it not been for your diligent service bringing coffee to the stock brokers, since you started working there profit grew 12%. your objective is pointless, they all are the same, you could forget about even putting that on there. the cover letter and the experience are the first things, next comes education. just put yourself in the employers position and put what they want to see, don't lie, but tailor it to what they are looking for in the particular position.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote