Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2004, 12:18 AM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Gay marriage?

So I was reading this thing on Yahoo (in the news section) that San Francisco gave marriage licenses to almost 100 same sex couples in open defiance of the state's laws. My immediate thought was "haha...fvck California". But then i actually got to thinking, especially since they've legalized same sex unions in Mass. recently. The I saw and heard about all of the people protesting. WTF? Do these people have something against people being happy? While I'm not gay and don't have a whole ton of friends who are, I can understand that all these people want is to be treated as equals in the eyes of the government. No reason they should expect any less. In an open defiance of constitutionaly mandated seperation of church and state, courts continually rule based on conservative religious beliefs against same sex unions. Dictionary definitions of marriage include mention of same sex couplings...why can't people in this country accept that? These people protesting are so wrapped up in thinking they know what "god" wants that they don't take into account their own hatred which, by it's own nature, is a sin according to what they believe. Whatever you might believe (or have a lack thereof) about "god", the fact is that most conservative groups think of "him" as some intangiable father figure that shakes a finger at us from thousands of years ago and says "do it and I'll fvckin spank you" (thank you Dogma). As for me, my own belief is that religion is a synthetic referee. It's intangiable and most often unexplainable, but you'd better listen or else you'll be in trouble. So why let that govern your opinions in matters that are relevent here and now? But I digress. The real point is denying perfectly normal people (in their vast majority, anyway) the right to be married and, perhaps more importantly, to get divorced (ahhh...the American dream). These people who seem to hold marriage so sacredly don't seem to bat an eye when faced with the fact that half of all traditional marriages end in horrible, wicked, mean, using-your-child-as-a-bargaining-chip divorces. Hell...we let all kinds of perverted fvcks get married...convicted rapists, murderers, pedophiles, etc. What's so bad about people getting married who are just looking for someone to acknowledge that they aren't bad people. I'd like to request in advance (this being a slightly touchy issue for some) that NO ONE FLAME ANYONE. State your opinions and defend them if necessary, but do it respectfully and tastefully. I, for one, support anyone who wants to get married. It's like being a Boy Scout...anyone dumb enough to wanna do it ought to be able to. I'm not really down with having it shoved in my face, but what when heterosexuals do that it pisses me off too. Whatever you wanna do with your life is your business and fvck anyone who tells you that you can't. That's my $0.02. Let's hear yours.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 07:20 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well i really don't care if people are gay and want to get married or not. it's their choice and it's not affecting me. I worke with a lot of gay ppl, and i can say most of the time their attitude towards the others is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than heterosexuals. The only problem i had with them was when one of them resumed to touching after continously telling him that i am not interested. As far the protesters go, most of them are old farts that their prime life was during WWII.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 07:47 AM   #3
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

My feelings are... I dont agree with it, but who am I to judge. I have enough of my own problems, I dont need to worry about what everyone else is doing. Maybe someday the Lobbiests and Liberals will learn to clean thier own house before telling someone else to clean thiers.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:47 AM   #4
cashizslick

my 2cents

Marriage is a sacred institution. Homosexuals have proven that they cannot exist in a sacred institution because of their rampant behavior and permiscuous "short term" relationships.

It would be different if homo's had 20yr relationships where they never cheated on eachother and what not.

Some blame the above on the fact that homosexuality is frowned upon by society, but that is not the case - - - True love for another person is stronger than anything else, it is stronger than what your friends, parents, relatives, and basically anybody else thinks. . . . . . . . .

Since this is true, it is obvious that homos shoulnt be allowed to get married because they do not have true love for eachother.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:59 AM   #5
4drmadness

I feel that to each his own..I mean as long as homosexauality isn;t pushed on me I don;t mind it at all...In fact I have grow up around it as my Aunt is Gay.

but as mentioend the big thing about the Same sex marriage is they are in and out of a relationship so much why should they unless they have been and are in a stable many yrs relationship...

it's a very tricky subject for the us and the courts that's for sure....
Old 02-13-2004, 12:17 PM   #6
SolPol

Man, people can marry their dogs for all I care.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:30 PM   #7
DsBlu01CivEX

I'm rather indifferent to the whole situation. I have no problem with people being gay (or choosing to be...whichever way you look at it) just as long as it's not shoved in my face. My uncle is gay, so I try to be as open-minded as possible.

There were some very interesting points brought up so far though....the one that struck me the most was the "fact" that gay people are promiscuous and have a tendency to jump from partner to partner....which it's argued because of this promiscuousness they aren't allowed to be leagally married because it's a sacred union. Well...here's my opinion on this (and I do believe that GT said something VERY similar in his original post).....some straight people are rather promiscuous too. They can't stay with one partner either. But by law (and religion) it's ok for these straight promiscuous people to get married and then divorced and do this as much as they want.....only because they are in a hetrosexual relationship. Maybe these people should have to prove that they can stay with the same person without straying before they're allowed to get married as well....but it will never come to this because these actions are "acceptable" in the American culture.

I just don't think it should matter who marries who as long as it's with in the same species.....not marrying they're dogs (or fruit salad like in Pee Wee's Playhouse ). As long as they're happy and not pushing their views on other people then do whatever....be happy.

http://www.myspace.com/kenike
DsBlu01CivEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 03:01 AM   #8
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Im don't know where you guys got the idea that hays are more promiscuous than heteros...that's just ridiculous. Think back in your life and remember all the male and female sluts you've known. All the gay people I've ever known (though most were older than me by 10 years or more) had been with their partners for quite some time. As evidence of this, the first couple married in the SF ceremonies had been together for 51 years. How many straight folks stay together that long? Plus, once you exclude marriage as a possibility, what do you think is going to happen? It's not an open invitation to sleep around, but it pretty much limits your options. Besides, if they really are going to sleep around, they'll get divorced just like everyone else. It's not like you're brain is so awefully different when you're gay.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 03:10 AM   #9
nonovurbizniz

Here are my thoughts....

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=587083

I started that thread when it was all in the news with Mass and Vermont...

I'm very dis-appointed in how archaic some of the opionons or thoughts on homosexuality are...

There are TONS and TONS of non-promiscuous homosexuals... both male and female....

I've know a couple gay people in my life and one of them since he was VERY young... and it was obvious to EVERYONE that he was gay from day one... people whether you want to admit or not are BORN gay if you believe in God then guess who made them that way? I HIGHLY doubt he did it so that you have a punching bag for all your problems... although history tends to contradict me...

It TRUELY saddens me to think that in this day and age people are actually ok with themselves saying that they love god and god loves them but they HATE insert group or idea here.

That's just plain rediculous... even if you believe that somehow being attracted to the same sex is inherently wrong... hate the sin not the sinner...

I would NEVER put myself in a position of pre-judging ANYONE or have any kind of rediculous notions that there are inate behaviors of certain people based on their sexual prefrence or skin tone...

I also find it utterly rediculous that people point the finger at their perception of undeniable homosexual promiscuity but don't say anything about their own or similar heterosexual behavior...

The loudest opponents usually are trying to avert attention from themselves... not saying EVERYONE or anyone here... I'm just saying that people have a tendency to focus on the "sins" of people who are a lot like they are or wish they could be... be it sexual or other "bad behavior".
Old 02-14-2004, 05:58 AM   #10
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

as much as i disagree with gay marrage... whatever... if they are hapay, sho am i to saw what is right ro wrong,. i guess that well... shit i dont know. just no public dispaly of effection in front of me and i'll be ok

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 08:26 PM   #11
Daviso27
3rd Gear

I dont care what they do...homosexuals are Gay....Gay! Gay! Gay!
Daviso27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:33 PM   #12
spoogenet

Re: Gay marriage?

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
[b]State your opinions and defend them if necessary, but do it respectfully and tastefully. I, for one, support anyone who wants to get married. It's like being a Boy Scout...anyone dumb enough to wanna do it ought to be able to./B]

Oh the irony, perhaps you could take your own advice someday?

On the subject....my vote, if anybody wants to get married, let them get married. Same goes for polygamy.....if everybody consents, whose right is it to say it's not ok to do?

b
Old 02-15-2004, 10:46 PM   #13
IALuder

i dont care. i never will either. why becuase it doesnt effect how i live my life.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 01:12 AM   #14
MAXed Out
6th Gear

I have nothing against it but do think it's wrong.
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
MAXed Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:36 AM   #15
silver

i am so proud of sf giving the finger to the rest of the state and public opinion...how can you deny someone the right to be with each other and have it recognized. though i'm def not gay, i have actually thought about getting involved in their marriage movement. its the same things as racism, look at inter racial marriages, that was taboo until the latter part of the 20th century.

and about gays sleeping around more, i actually talked to some of my gay friends about that and they gave a great answer. imagine that girls had the same sex drive as guys, wouldn't you think that there would be a lot more sex going on? its pretty common knowledge that any girl can get any guy in bed, but any guy can't get any girl in bed. well just replace the girl with a guy and you have two people with crazy sex drives looking for each other...actually makes sense when u look at it that way. but that doesn't mean that there is more adultery in gay couples, i would believe it'd be exactly the same as with hetero couples.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 01:06 AM   #16
mylittlecivic

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
as much as i disagree with gay marrage... whatever... if they are hapay, sho am i to saw what is right ro wrong,. i guess that well... shit i dont know. just no public dispaly of effection in front of me and i'll be ok
'

you drunk?

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote