::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2003, 05:36 AM   #1
accord98lx

manual trans

Today was my first time driving a manual car. My friend was teaching me how. Im in first gear with the clutch all the way in.....I try to get the car moving by lettin the clutch go slowly then step on the gas pedal ......but the car keeps dying =(. Any tips of when to press on the gas pedal??? I dont kno when to press on the gas pedal.....do you guys understand? my friends say he somehow just feels when to press on the gas pedal and let go of the clutch....I dont. I did sucessfully got the car moving in 1st .... couple of times, but most of the time, it died. tips??? is there a site where it teach how to drive manual?
Old 11-22-2003, 09:41 AM   #2
AzCivic

it just takes practice, if your going to mess up though, mess up by giving it too much gas rather than too little. too much and you might get some wheel spin, too little the car dies. i'd rather have a little wheel spin.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 03:07 PM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

after a while you will get the hang of it. i learned to drive stick first and now i just feel the car, i do not look at the revs or listen for the engine. i guess it all comes natural with 100k miles of driving under your belt

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 03:28 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

It'll happen...pracitce
took me a whole 30mins to get it right the first time (parking lot)

then when I drove on the streets for the first time alone I was soooo nervous...every 1st gear start was a squealer
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 03:38 PM   #5
mylittlecivic

just had to teach my friend but she did pretty good it was hard trying to explain it. just try to balance out the pedals and give it some go, i was told its better to peel out then kill it.

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 04:36 PM   #6
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Well you should have a feel now for when it dies. Give it gas before that Try letting out the clutch a little slower at first. Its not great to ride the clutch like that, but a few times when you're learning won't kill it.

Basically:
1) start to let clutch out
2) give gas before it starts to catch (just while you're learning... you'll time it better later on). Not too much gas, it doesn't take much.
3) Keep letting clutch out slowly.
4) Drive away

If you're on a flat lot, just let the clutch out until you can feel it start to catch with NO gas. Right at or before that point is where you need to give it the gas. Try this a few times without touching the gas and you'll get a feel for where your left foot should be when it needs gas.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 05:08 PM   #7
accord98lx

thanks....gonna try again today possible.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:48 PM   #8
smrlda1

I tried to learn and never got it after 3 separate sessions...I tried again like 6 months later and did much better. Now I drive a manual!
Old 11-23-2003, 08:16 PM   #9
Shot 2 Hel

im not the greatest at driving a stick, especially on a hill... i always end up spinning tires so bad its not even funny. And most of the time i drive by myself... guess its weird like that
Old 11-23-2003, 11:19 PM   #10
B16DoHcCrx033003
4th Gear

i just feel when the clutch grabs then give it a lil gas, but the first manual i ever drove was a 1978 CJ 7, with a 12inch lift and 44 inch swampers, learn on somthing hard then easy things come a lot easier
B16DoHcCrx033003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 11:25 PM   #11
blind34_1

i put a big sign on my car that said "learning stick, please pass", while i drove around my neighborhood. it took my about two weeks to finally convince myself to take it out on the road. those were the most frusting two weeks ever. Just stay with it, once you get it, you'll be so glad you did.

the ultimate test is to be able to balance it on an incline. once you can do that, you can pretty much do anything. remember it requires only VERY small adjustments between the clutch and gas to balance on a hill.

(oh and dont do what my g/f used to do and avoid the stoplights that sit on hills. the roads that you are scared of are the ones you need to drive on the most.)
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 08:27 PM   #12
Shot 2 Hel

Quote:
Originally posted by blind34_1
i put a big sign on my car that said "learning stick, please pass", while i drove around my neighborhood. it took my about two weeks to finally convince myself to take it out on the road. those were the most frusting two weeks ever. Just stay with it, once you get it, you'll be so glad you did.

LMAO thats great.

the first stick i drove was a 1990 F-250 Long Bed Extended cab with a trailer on the back, what fun that was. I even forgot the parking brake. So i would let off the clutch and press the gas and it would go dead. Dad wasnt too happy about that one
Old 11-25-2003, 09:33 PM   #13
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

i learned on a nissan hardbody. Man that has one tight clutch.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:34 PM   #14
vtracer20

it's always tricky ur first time..my dad made me learn the day i bought my accord and it sucked...but i learn quickly so it was all good....just rev up the car to like 1500-2000 and start releasing the clutch you'll sense the clutch engaging but dont let your revs go down, then you'll stall. you gotta keep the revs above like 1k and you'll be fine...just practice on a parking lot with NO cars....good luck
Old 11-27-2003, 01:34 AM   #15
thermal
Banning Machine

yeah.....what they said. Stock clutch is easy to drive especially with Honda tranny. Try driving a race clutch. It's very sensitive. The stage3 clutch on my Teg gives a lot of people a hard time.

1st gear is the hardest. Put plenty of gas and slower on letting go of the clutch. You'll be ok.

Driving a manual tranny is knowing your car well. Shifting becomes natural as you do it more.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 11:23 AM   #16
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

that race clutch cant be as annoying as that damn nissan. lol
Old 11-27-2003, 12:50 PM   #17
sohc_vtec 2NR

if the car feels like its "bogging" or it shakes harder than normal then its about to die...so everytime that happens just press on the clutch to prevent it from dying..

practice by releasing the clutch lightly and revving the car up a lil, you'll notice the car will move slightly even if the clutch is still depressed...just get use to that and eventually you'll learn how to mix up the clutch/gas..and after you learn first/reverse then the rest is a piece of cake.