::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2002, 12:21 AM   #1
ArixSin

help with new headlights and taillights

I have a 97 EX coupe. In the mail is a set a half red half clear tails from a 00 Coupe, and a set of all clear headlights. I need amber bulbs for the rear turn lights. Has anybody found amber bulbs that will fit the 97 factory sockets? Do the 97 factory sockets fit the 00 tails? To those of you who have clear headlights, did you put amber bulbs in for the turn signal? If so, where did you get them? Any input appreciated. I know there are plenty of you out there that have done these.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:55 AM   #2
iRACEmyCTR

buy the blue hyperwhite bulbs for all around.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:22 AM   #3
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

i got yellows for the front from www.autodynamic.com i dont remember if they sell colored bulbs that fit the rear...might as well check there though
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:18 AM   #4
oc civic

DO NOT GET RICER BLUE... you are definately in teh rigth direction by looking at amber bulbs.. you all may laugh but i got REALLY nice amber bulbs at pepboys made by APC.. which is NORMALY crap.. but these bulbs are VERY nice deep amber...

on a side note did anyone see some of the new APC things.. they have some 92-95 amber corners... maybe they are trying to get away from the rice crap.. who knows..
Old 12-12-2002, 09:38 PM   #5
Quist

Go with Red turn signals not the normal amber, and what the hell do what ever you think looks good!!
Old 12-12-2002, 10:12 PM   #6
pdiggitydogg

'cept red and blue are illegal
Old 12-12-2002, 10:20 PM   #7
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
'cept red and blue are illegal

word.. illegal shit sucks.. just draws MORE unneeded attentioon to yourself

ricer shit sucks
Old 12-14-2002, 04:12 PM   #8
iRACEmyCTR

i never said get blue bulbs, i said to get the really white bulbs. You might as well get white if you have clear headlights cuz whats the point of getting rid of the orange just to stick orange back in...
Old 12-14-2002, 05:57 PM   #9
blind34_1

red REAR turn signals are not illegal. front ones are, though. You should be able to pick up colored bulbs at any autozone, wamart, etc. but if you have to order thenm online, autodynamic.com is reputable company, I've used them and was satifisied.

As for your compatibility questions, the sockets cant be too different. If they are you should be able to ghettofy something to work, just make sure to seal your sockets, and make sure your tails are sealed also.

If you have some cash, go to your honda dealer and tell them you need 99 taillight sockets. Then you just cut off the old ones and splice in the new ones. easier said then done im sure.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 09:12 PM   #10
pdiggitydogg

agreed.

red tail lights of any kind are legal

it'd be real easy to put the 99 socket on, just be sure to solder the wires together and put some shrink tubes on and then some zip ties over the twist of wires for a complete seal of them.

I say get the sockets from Hparts online cuase they dont charge dealer fees...just order fees...example: dealer wanted to charge me $15 for a tiny bottle of granada touch up paint...i got it on Hparts for $5.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:07 PM   #11
nonovurbizniz

No red tail lights are not illegal..

however... yes the point of clear light lenses is indeed to have amber bulbs...

look at all cars that come with stock clear turn signals. they ALL have amber bulbs behind the clear lense.

Last edited by nonovurbizniz : 12-16-2002 at 01:07 PM.
nonovurbizniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 02:10 PM   #12
oc civic

you are arguing about something that PROBALY COULD vary from state to state... in our state we have a blanket law that COULD be construed to make red turn signals illegal.. it satets that any modification to a car that makes it function differantly than it was intended to be from the factory is illegal, and shall in some cases deem the car unsafe for use on public roads...

thats NOT an exact quote but it is SIMILAR to that.. it basicly means a cop can write you for ANYTHING NOT STOCK.. SEMA stated that almost EVERY state has a SIMILAR law...
is this beatable.. sometimes
but the point is it IS illegal in a LOT of cases
Old 12-16-2002, 02:15 PM   #13
pdiggitydogg

who's arguing?
Old 12-16-2002, 02:42 PM   #14
nonovurbizniz

Quote:
Originally posted by oc civic
you are arguing about something that PROBALY COULD vary from state to state... in our state we have a blanket law that COULD be construed to make red turn signals illegal.. it satets that any modification to a car that makes it function differantly than it was intended to be from the factory is illegal, and shall in some cases deem the car unsafe for use on public roads...

thats NOT an exact quote but it is SIMILAR to that.. it basicly means a cop can write you for ANYTHING NOT STOCK.. SEMA stated that almost EVERY state has a SIMILAR law...
is this beatable.. sometimes
but the point is it IS illegal in a LOT of cases

Ya but red tails are not illegal by themselves. (ie any red light that you can see the source (ie glow is legal) besides taillights are illegal because they can be construed as attempting to impersonate police lights...

NO state can Illegalize red blinkers because older cars (most of them) Have solid red taillights that blink when they're blinkin and don't when they're not.

also no one was arguing... previous people had stated that they were LEGAL then someone mis-typed that they were ILLEGAL...

I was merely clarifiing for any readers who got confused.
nonovurbizniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 03:36 PM   #15
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
NO state can Illegalize red blinkers because older cars (most of them) Have solid red taillights that blink when they're blinkin and don't when they're not.

iactualy they can make anythign illegal that was not on the car originaly, actualy a state can make any law they want.... a state CAN dictate how you have sex with your wife... is it right... NO... is it fair.. NO but does it exist.. YES... so they DO have laws in areas that prohibit any mods on any car...
Old 12-16-2002, 09:14 PM   #16
nonovurbizniz

I was saying that they can not make a blanket law that illegalizes red blinkers because there are MILLIONS of production cars with them.... yes I am aware that they "could" but that's about as relavant as the fact that I "could" sprout wings and start flying but chances are it will never happen.

of course they can make it illegal to modify your car from stock. that's not what I was saying.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:21 PM   #17
Civicfrenzy

Back to the topic people. I have a 96 civic, i had the same problem couldnt find amber bulbs to fit my blinkers. Go buy normal bulbs from a local parts store. Then check out the nearest hobby shop buy some amber modeling paint for like 2 bucks and give the bulbs 2 or 3 coats till whenever its a good deep amber. Then use that. I did that like a year ago and they still work fine no problems at all.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:52 PM   #18
blind34_1

hmm..that gen civic must have hard to find bulbs. Much like my friends prelude. His taillights are hard to find and cost like 20 bucks each. Weird.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 11:13 PM   #19
oc civic

pep boys APC amber 3 bucks each.. PHUCK painting bulbs...
Old 12-17-2002, 10:11 AM   #20
nonovurbizniz

What model # bulbs are in there origonally?
Old 12-17-2002, 12:12 PM   #21
pdiggitydogg

autodynamic.com $2.50 per bulb...Ive ordered all bulbs from them and they are 100% fan-f*cking-tastic
Old 12-17-2002, 07:16 PM   #22
ArixSin

Anybody use Red bulbs instead of Amber?
Old 12-17-2002, 07:54 PM   #23
nonovurbizniz

I've seen people with red bulbs instead of amber... I didn't like it though it looked too washed out. not red enough. joo know?
Old 12-17-2002, 10:27 PM   #24
oc civic

red shows up crappy in the day.. been there tried that.. hated it.. went back to amber
Old 12-24-2002, 11:36 PM   #25
Quist

I have red turn signals in my 2000 civic and they totally match my tail lights when i step on the brake.....I think they look super clean