.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2004, 02:27 PM   #1
GeneralDzur

Help me to understand various Nitrous setups please.

Ok...I'm learning here...so help me out please.

1) What is the difference between NOS (I'll just say NOS because it's quicker than typing "nitrous") wet and dry shots?

2) What does a "60 shot" mean? What kind of measurement is that?

3) Big question: What is the difference between Direct Port and a Fogger system? To my understanding, direct port is a push-button setup, like in Fast & Furious? And a fogger is a system that just mixes NOS with your fuel at a regular, steady rate?

Again, you guys' advice is really appreciated.

- Dzur
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my engine_small.jpg (21.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-29-2004, 02:39 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

read this
http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showt...threadid=19507

I didnt read it (because I dont care about n20 so I dont know if it answers all your q's) but its a good place to start

(Why do you always attach that image to your posts? Why not just put it in your signature? If you need it hosted I put it on the same hosting site I use for my sig pic...

Just copy the url and put [ img ] url [ /img] (without any spaces) in your signature)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 03:00 PM   #3
Civickid0to60

to tell you the truth i wouldnt even fuck with that stuff.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:42 PM   #4
AkimboStylee

i will be running 75 shot on my new accord, only at the track, when not at or going to the track the bottle will either be empty or not in the car
Old 02-29-2004, 04:10 PM   #5
GeneralDzur

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
read this
http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showt...threadid=19507

I didnt read it (because I dont care about n20 so I dont know if it answers all your q's) but its a good place to start

(Why do you always attach that image to your posts? Why not just put it in your signature? If you need it hosted I put it on the same hosting site I use for my sig pic...

Just copy the url and put [ img ] url [ /img] (without any spaces) in your signature)

Thanks man, appreciate it. Also, thanks for the forum link.

- Dzur
Old 02-29-2004, 04:42 PM   #6
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Re: Help me to understand various Nitrous setups please.

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralDzur
Ok...I'm learning here...so help me out please.

1) What is the difference between NOS (I'll just say NOS because it's quicker than typing "nitrous") wet and dry shots?

A dry setup is just straight nitrous. It's up to your fuel system to supply the extra fuel. A wet system injects extra fuel along with the nitrous via a backup pump that's engaged when the nitrous is switched on. These systems *can* be dangerous since it's possible for the extra fuel to puddle in the intake and cause a backfire that'll blow the shit out of your intake and make your throttle body blade look like a taco shell (trust me...I've seen it happen). Nitrous alone won't make power...it'll blow up your motor. It simply allows you to burn more fuel thus making more power.

Quote:
2) What does a "60 shot" mean? What kind of measurement is that?

Basically that's the measurement of the hp added by the nitrous injection. It's hard to predict how much nitrous you're injecting without a dyno. A 75hp jet won't always give you 75hp.

Quote:
3) Big question: What is the difference between Direct Port and a Fogger system? To my understanding, direct port is a push-button setup, like in Fast & Furious? And a fogger is a system that just mixes NOS with your fuel at a regular, steady rate?

To my knowledge they're one in the same. On a fogger kit you've got 2 nozzles that are tapped straight into the intake runners where they meet the head (and on some hardcore setups straight into the head). When engaged the jets inject both fuel and nitrous into the intake right at the port (hence the term direct port injection) for better atomization which results in a more even and predictable combustion.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't use nitrous if you paid me. The wear that comes from such a dramatic hit so quickly can really hurt your engine in the long run. Even in a well built motor a good sized shot will eventually take it's toll on rings and pistons. I don't know if Honda runs forged or hyperutectic pistons in stock motors, but in some instances the frequency nitrous combustion creates has been known to shatter hyperutectic pistons. I remember a few years back I was at a car show in KC and some guy had a cherry old Vette ('68 I believe) that he was showing and the car had a nitrous kit hooked up to an rpm window switch (uses your tach signal to engage nitrous automatically at a set rpm). When he was leaving the building he went over a speed bump and the throttle linkage hooked on the bump which pulled the carb wide open. Once the engine hit the right rpm, the nitrous kicked in and he went straight into a brick wall. Killed his daughter and a neighbor girl who were in the car. He's still alive but has some brain damage. I've also seen a 250 shot blow a head clean off of the block. That shit's just too dangerous.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 04:59 PM   #7
Shot 2 Hel

if you can find a guy on here named OC civic, i dont know if he still posts or not. but he was the N2O guru back in the day
Old 02-29-2004, 05:08 PM   #8
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

he rarely frequents as of late

His aol sn is 'x oc civic x'
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 05:13 PM   #9
Shot 2 Hel

i have his AIM name, but i dont frequent that often anymore, computer is like the name. Might be buying a new one soon.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:42 PM   #10
Civickid0to60

i remember oc, talks a lot of shit.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:43 PM   #11
Civickid0to60

basically, if i were you. I would build up my motor with a better fuel system first. Make sure everything is in check. I wouldnt just rely on the bottle for HP either. I think the best thing would be to make sure your motor is ready to handle it. Cause nitrous rips through a lot of different motors much faster then others.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:52 PM   #12
GeneralDzur

Good thing I ask you guys about these things...

I read up a lot on Nitrous and then read these posts...You're right, it seems. Nitrous is too dangerous on stock internals, and I can't risk blowing my motor right now. Besides the fact that you have to get refills...I'm going to stick with a Turbo..however, that's in the far future after I've swapped out my motor for a B16a SiR II. And *that's* going to be a while...money seems so short just when you want it most...

And besides, I wouldn't want to run a turbo *or* NOS setup on SOHC 1.6 VTec with 120,000 miles...I don't know...all that money for an engine that's only got half it's life left.

- Dzur