Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2004, 08:55 PM   #1
thermal
Banning Machine

Hmmm... should I go to Japan?

Well, in about 1 year, I will be eligible to pick another duty station.... yes, I'm in the Navy. I'd like to stay local but the possibility is only about 10%. My civic will mostlikely be sold and my integra will end up in a storage facility.

Looking at my current options, Japan and Hawaii are both available. I really would rather stay local and still kind of hoping for that. The only positive thing I see is a chance to bring back a Skyline or a JDM NSX.... well, maybe a real Sylvia.

It's just really starting to bug me. I'm gonna miss all kinds of shit in U.S.

Plus I really hated being away from home... makes me wonder why I even joined the Navy... lol.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 09:19 PM   #2
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I suppose it depends how long you'd be gone. If it were longer than a year I'd try and stay somewhere local/national. But hey...look at it this way...you really won't miss out on much american stuff. If anything, with foreign media sources you'll be more in-the-know than the rest of us.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 10:35 PM   #3
thermal
Banning Machine

If I go there to a ship, I'll be there for 2 years. If I go there to a shore facility, it will be 3 years. The weird part is, I'm really getting more into asian cultures now more than ever... weird cuz I'm asian.......WTF..... I must be getting old...... Maybe learning how to speak Japanese or Cantonese.......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 08-21-2004, 11:46 PM   #4
RxGoaT13
4th Gear

how much are you going to sell your civic for?
japan would be awesome, but hawaii would be fun too. tough decision.
RxGoaT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 09:05 AM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

well which do you prefer...fish or spam?

Tough call though. I think I would be happier in hawaii over japan, though.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 01:21 PM   #6
VR4_Craver
Banned

well...here is a way

Asian boobies on pasty (normally) chicks
Hawiaan boobies on tanned beauties.

Im sure you will make the right decision
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 02:43 PM   #7
thermal
Banning Machine

ha ha.....

i dont know how much I will sell the civic for. I dont even know if somebody would buy it. I jerry rigged some shit in there that nobody would be able to figure out... he he.. but i guess as long as I dont tell them about it.

I think I will go to Japan instead. I want a chance to bring a real RHD car. I have my eyes on a Skyline R34.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 08-22-2004, 04:37 PM   #8
VR4_Craver
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by thermalfi'd16
I think I will go to Japan instead. I want a chance to bring a real RHD car. I have my eyes on a Skyline R34.

It would probably very expensive to bring on back on a ship alone. And then getting it cleared to be brought into the states and then you would have to get all the permits to actually drive it, then you would have to get it smog exempt because it wont pass testings over here....It would take like 1-2 years for all that and countless dollars....You should just buy a G35 and cut the hassle....
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:46 AM   #9
pbateson

Japan= Yes

Hawaii = No

I like the Asia because it is much better than the Hawaii. You can drive a real RHD car. Hawaii the all the people are asian, but not really a asian called *Hawaiian*. Also it not have real RHD car too. You can live in Japan for a while and come back home for vacation. It is much cheaper to buy a car there in Japan like Hong Kong had many R34.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:39 AM   #10
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Both would be a great place to visit, IMO. Japan would just be cool to see how everything works though. It would be a tough call for sure.

Neither would be much fun, if your just there stuck on a ship most of the time though.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:41 AM   #11
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by VR4_Craver
It would probably very expensive to bring on back on a ship alone. And then getting it cleared to be brought into the states and then you would have to get all the permits to actually drive it, then you would have to get it smog exempt because it wont pass testings over here....It would take like 1-2 years for all that and countless dollars....You should just buy a G35 and cut the hassle....

not if your in the military

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 02:50 PM   #12
VR4_Craver
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
not if your in the military

They dont have to go through the hassle of getting everything ok'd to have it back in the states? Or the bringing it over thing?

Quote:
Hawaii. You can drive a real RHD car. Hawaii the all the people are asian, but not really a asian called *Hawaiian*. Also it not have real RHD car too

What are the differences between a Japan Type R that is rhd and a "Hawaiian" rhd Type R?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:32 PM   #13
mylittlecivic

I think that going to Japan would be a really neat experience, I wish I could move to another country for a couple years just to experience something different. plus a skyline? *droool

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:37 PM   #14
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
They dont have to go through the hassle of getting everything ok'd to have it back in the states? Or the bringing it over thing?

What are the differences between a Japan Type R that is rhd and a "Hawaiian" rhd Type R?

i thin kyou can bring any car here as long as you won't sell it. they have to be for personal use only

but i think i'd go to japan if i were you

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:20 PM   #15
pbateson

Quote:

No, Hawaii is all US car not Intl car.

USDM Type-R is LHD like Euro.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:50 PM   #16
Kool-Aid

Re: Hmmm... should I go to Japan?

Quote:
Originally posted by thermalfi'd16
Well, in about 1 year, I will be eligible to pick another duty station.... yes, I'm in the Navy. I'd like to stay local but the possibility is only about 10%. My civic will mostlikely be sold and my integra will end up in a storage facility.

Looking at my current options, Japan and Hawaii are both available. I really would rather stay local and still kind of hoping for that. The only positive thing I see is a chance to bring back a Skyline or a JDM NSX.... well, maybe a real Sylvia.

It's just really starting to bug me. I'm gonna miss all kinds of shit in U.S.

Plus I really hated being away from home... makes me wonder why I even joined the Navy... lol.....

Yea, I looked into the places that I could go and Japan, England, Alaska, Hawaii, and Korea are my choices...I still haven't heard anything on my orders but if I were you I would go to Japan or Hawaii...
Old 08-25-2004, 11:04 AM   #17
Otakuguy

I'd definitely go to japan. I've been there twice through my old high-school japanese class, and it was one of the best experiences of my life. there are countless crazy things that go on over there that one can only dream of.
Plus it's a JDM lovers paradise! and supercars too, if you like that(which I do )
Of course, Hawaii is a really beautiful place as well, I've seen photos from my parents vacations there, and it looks gorgeous. Just don't know about fun stuff cause I haven't been there personally.
All in all it just rests in your personal tastes dood.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:33 PM   #18
C's 94 InTeGrA
4th Gear

Ya i think so... So you can bring me some parts back for my teg haha
Old 08-25-2004, 08:55 PM   #19
thermal
Banning Machine

With my status once my time is over in Japan, the military will pay to get all of my stuff brought back to U.S soil. Ofcourse there is a limitation on weight, but the car is not included with that.......... I swear I will sell most of my personal stuff and just bring parts with me instead.. lol.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum