Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2004, 12:48 AM   #1
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

NOS or Venom n20 kit on a Civic?

Hi, since I been reading and reading, everyone talks about n20 being the best bang for your buck, so I will give that a shot. The question I need to know before buying it is, what brand is good? Ive seen about 5 different ones and head venom is hard to install and NOS is the easiest to install. Is NOS a good brand? because I'm planning to install this on my own with a little bit of my brothers help. Also, if I get a 10lb tank... would it even last me 30 secs of shots?
I also need to know what else to get.. my car is basicly stock, except for the AEM v2 intake that I ordered. Afterall, I dont want my engine to go retarded on me. I need to know what else would be a critical install in order for me to use the n20 safely. Thanks alot, any advice would be highly appreciated.
Civic_RedLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 12:59 AM   #2
AzCivic

nitrous express makes the best kits available.

I'd recommend this http://www.overboost.com/obs/product.asp?pid=20280 if you dont plan on spraying too much more than a 75-100shot(which you wont be doing on a stock engine anyway).

if you run just the 35/50shot you really dont need to buy anything else. maybe some spark plugs that are a heat range colder.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 01:12 AM   #3
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

I was planning to run 100, but the one u reccommended was up to 75 shots. What exactly, would I need to spray a 100 shots. Which is stage two right?
some things I might need?
-spark plugs
-fuel pump
-ignition?? I dont know very well because I am not a pro to this.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:02 AM   #4
AzCivic

most agree the safe limit of most stock 4 cylinder engines is a 75 shot. that kit will support a 150shot(you just have to buy the right size nitrous/fuel jets), but running anything over a 75 shot is HUGE RISK.

the reason you can't run a higher shot is that the engines internals are not strong enough for it. if you really want to run a 100shot(although i know you wont) you'll have to take the engine out and swap the pistons/rods out for stronger aftermarket pieces. this is quite costly ranging from 1000$ if you do it all your self to 2500$+ if you have someone else do it.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:06 AM   #5
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

so then, like that site says, I could run up to 50 shots with my stock civic right?
Old 07-10-2004, 02:29 AM   #6
AzCivic

you could run up to a 75shot if you wanted. w/ the 75shot you'd want to get the colder spark plugs and retard ignition timing a few degrees, you could either run around w/ the timing retarded a little(you'll lose some power) or buy something from MSD that retards it only when spraying.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:38 AM   #7
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

ok, thanks alot Az, also, I could use my aem v2 air intake with this n20 kit right?
Old 07-10-2004, 03:05 AM   #8
AzCivic

no problem. yeah it'll be fine, you'll just have to drill a hole to mount the nozzle.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:42 AM   #9
Honda_Tengoku

speaking of spray how is your car running? Have u took her to the track yet? She should be quick for a little D.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:37 AM   #10
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

whats a little D? my cars running new. Its not salvage title, i bought the car used and of course tested how the d river drove and looks like he took good care of it. He didnt add anything to the car, it was fully sto ck when i got it. When i told him i wanted to see how he drove he the car, he kept wanting me to drive it but i told him to drive it so he did. he drove a++ cuz he was scared i wasnt gonna buy it. But anywhoo, my car runs good and there aint no mechanical problems, so quiet like a brand new car. althought compared to accords the civics are louder when staying still at a light.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:34 PM   #11
JDMFantasy2k

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_RedLine
whats a little D? my cars running new. Its not salvage title, i bought the car used and of course tested how the d river drove and looks like he took good care of it. He didnt add anything to the car, it was fully sto ck when i got it. When i told him i wanted to see how he drove he the car, he kept wanting me to drive it but i told him to drive it so he did. he drove a++ cuz he was scared i wasnt gonna buy it. But anywhoo, my car runs good and there aint no mechanical problems, so quiet like a brand new car. althought compared to accords the civics are louder when staying still at a light.

he was referring to your "d" series engine.

one thing i would strongly suggest with a nitrous setup, or any forced induction system for that matter is an air to fuel ratio meter, this way you can see if your engine is running too rich/lean. Other than that you should be fine.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:57 PM   #12
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

ok, im planning on using shell's new v-power 91 octane gas.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:18 PM   #13
AzCivic

oh, well the v-power's got you covered then.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:02 PM   #14
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
oh, well the v-power's got you covered then.

i think he reffers to the new shell gasoline. they just started advertising it with a pretty big campaign.

i am not too happy with the new shell v-power. my mpg went down, plus i get a bit of stumbling everytime i drive the car

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 04:28 PM   #15
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

you know I had some stumbling when I first tried vpower too...forgot about that
It was a 1 time thing though (both the gas and the stumbling) and Ive switched back to sonoco regular since w/o issues
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 05:10 PM   #16
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

To me I have gotten more mileage and more torque from the new v-power gasoline. I compared it to chevron with techron 87 octane gasoline. I used shell for a week and chevron for the next, but then decided chevron because I pay it with my own money. The only good thing about getting gasoline at shell is I get free gas, only sometimes that is. I'd go with Shell all the time if I had money, I'm very happy with them.
When the n20 kit comes, I'll be putting in v-power in my gas tank.

Shell's supposedly new v-power has no difference with the previous one. I have tried shells 91 octane gasoline when it wasnt called v-power. The car ran the same as it did when it was using the regular 91 octane gasline. Hmm, I would say that it is all the HYPE they are getting out there.

Last edited by Civic_RedLine : 07-18-2004 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:48 PM   #17
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by JDMFantasy2k
he was referring to your "d" series engine.

one thing i would strongly suggest with a nitrous setup, or any forced induction system for that matter is an air to fuel ratio meter, this way you can see if your engine is running too rich/lean. Other than that you should be fine.

actually I was reffering to AZ "Nitrous god" here. My bad I should have specified
Old 07-18-2004, 07:49 PM   #18
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_RedLine
To me I have gotten more mileage and more torque from the new v-power gasoline. I compared it to chevron with techron 87 octane gasoline. I used shell for a week and chevron for the next, but then decided chevron because I pay it with my own money. The only good thing about getting gasoline at shell is I get free gas, only sometimes that is. I'd go with Shell all the time if I had money, I'm very happy with them.
When the n20 kit comes, I'll be putting in v-power in my gas tank.

Shell's supposedly new v-power has no difference with the previous one. I have tried shells 91 octane gasoline when it wasnt called v-power. The car ran the same as it did when it was using the regular 91 octane gasline. Hmm, I would say that it is all the HYPE they are getting out there.

just another stupid advertising gimmick. Dont fall into their traps.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:55 PM   #19
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

I will have to use 91 octane when I get the n20 kit so I will have to use good gas. Might as well be shell because they are good. Also I get $15 v-power fill-ups from a friend that works at shell.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:39 PM   #20
JDMFantasy2k

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_Tengoku
just another stupid advertising gimmick. Dont fall into their traps.

werd i used to think the same thing. here check this out peoples...octane ratings
Old 07-18-2004, 08:43 PM   #21
pdiggitydogg

you should use a higher rating octane for n2o, yeah..and if youre already getting a discount for the vpower, you might as well stick with it...for when you need it - because right now regular 87 is ok
Old 07-18-2004, 10:08 PM   #22
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_Tengoku
actually I was reffering to AZ "Nitrous god" here. My bad I should have specified

the car is running good, my best 1/4 so far is a 15.8 w/ a 2.4 60' but the jimfab bars should help that out alot since the car was getting really bad wheel hop. havent had time to install the nitrous kit yet, seems like i always got something to do.

i cant believe your gonna boost your h22, thats gonna be sick.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:11 AM   #23
Honda_Tengoku

thanks man. Yeah she will be boosted until I blow her up Hell with it. It will be fun anyways. I figured I will run 6 pounds of boost for normal street driving and when running at the track in the first two gears and boost up to 9-10 pounds when I grab 3rd. 6 pounds should be more than enough for 1st and second gear. Should be making about 240-250 WHP around 6 pounds, and hopefully about 290+ WHP, and 240+ ft-pounds of torque at 9-10 pounds or so. Remember these are just rough guesses. Cant wait to see what u run at the track. I bet u will prolly hit mid 14's or better on street tires with a 75 shot and some traction!! Keep us posted how it goes.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:23 PM   #24
sicones

civics are slow and meant to save money, dont waist your money on preimum gas. It will just raise the operating cost of you car. also premum gas is harder to burn why put it in a car that dosent need it, thats my view

also, I blew up my aem intake with a wet 55 shot so redline civic will not have his engine for long with his knowelge sorry
(fuel puddled and back fired)

btw my intake is fine now just a little scratched
sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:58 AM   #25
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

Im going to use a 35 shot, not 50 shot. Also the premium gas is not a waste of money, I get $15 fill-ups rather than $25 fill-ups with 87 octane. I stopped using the premium because I have to pay for it on my own, but when I get hooked up I always put in shells v-power. Also the n20 companys reccommend a good gas if you use nitrous. I agree with not needing any premium gas and that it is a waste of money, but when I get the nitrous kit I will use premium only.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:15 PM   #26
sicones

sure I use premum gas to when Im gonna use my nitrous kit other wise hell no
sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 04:34 PM   #27
pdiggitydogg

(I dont know if youre doing it on purpose, by accident, or because you dont know, redline, but its not "n20"...its n2o
Chemical Formula...so technically its N2O)
Old 07-20-2004, 04:46 PM   #28
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

c'mon man, how you gonna bitch at me for that. If you saw my other posts I did n2o but n20 on some, and yes you are right about that, but you dont have to point it out. I think we all know that. It doesnt make you looker smarter for typing that either, it just makes you look like a clowner.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:30 PM   #29
pdiggitydogg

dude Im not bitching...Im made an observation that I never saw it the right way. Thats all.