::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2002, 05:20 PM   #1
Fine Malt

Overheating Problem

Ok, about two weeks my thermostat gauge was going up whenever I reached higher speeds, like over 45/50. But, I could start the car and let it sit, and the needle stayed at the normal level. I took it in, they said it could be the head gasket, but were kind of puzzled by it not overheating when running idle. So anyway, I got the radiator replaced, along with a new thermostat, and a coolant flush. The engine still overheats. But the needle flucuates. I was going up a hill with the needle up real high. I switched into 3rd gear (automatic) to get up the hill and the needle went down to normal level. I checked the radiator and coolant after driving about 10-15 minutes at about 50 mph and noticed the coolant steaming from the reservior. Not a lot, but semi noticable. The engine doesn't smoke despite the needle reaching up to beyond the H. I can hear boiling when I turn the engine off too.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:10 PM   #2
nonovurbizniz

If you've over heated it that much chances are you've warped the head.

as far as causes... the headgasket would not be one of them...

the only things that are gunna make your car overheat are..
1. the coolant is not flowing.. this could be because of a water pump, an obstruction in the cooling system, a falty themostat (frozen shut),
2. ineffective radiator. (you got it replaced so...)

It sounds like the water pump...

You should check to make sure the upper and lower hoses are approximatley the same temp. IE if the top is welding hot and the bottom is cold then your not circulating the coolant.

other than that I'm at a loss.

good luck.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:42 PM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

is it a stick ? my old subaru did that when the clutch was slipping. it went fine after i replaced the clutch. if it is slipping the heat from the friction will overheat your engine.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 11:35 PM   #4
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
is it a stick ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fine Malt
I switched into 3rd gear (automatic) to get up the hill

nope.. automatic
Old 12-17-2002, 02:32 AM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by oc civic
nope.. automatic

oops i missed that.

Old 12-17-2002, 03:16 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i remebered that problem happening in some 4th gen accords, and it was the tranny that was shot. a tranny swap took care of the problem.

Old 12-17-2002, 12:39 PM   #7
Fine Malt

Thanks.

So...if the coolant isn't flowing, what can I do? The water pump was replaced maybe 50K ago. I'm looking at new cars. This thing is an 88 with 110 on it. So, I'm kinda trapped.
But, how would I be able to tell it's the transmission? Discoloration in the fluid? Might a transmission fluid flush solve the problem?
Old 12-17-2002, 08:09 PM   #8
nonovurbizniz

no I can't imagine how the tranny would be the cause.

it has to be in the cooling system... it seems like it's all been replaced either right now or a while ago..

It's really a decision you have to make if it's worth it to you to get the waterpump done again just to see if that fixes it. (while your doing that you'd be silly not to do the timing belt (unless it's a chain))

If thats too much to bother putting into it then just sell it. or trade it in and take a hit.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:44 PM   #9
Fine Malt

I had the timing belt replaced maybe 3 months ago. Now, I got the radiator and thermostate done.

Could this be a heater core problem? At times it takes maybe 10-15 minutes to get the slightest hint of warm air out of the heater. And sometimes, the heater will begin shooting cold air when it's on warm. I'll shut it off, then back on a few minutes later and then it's better. But when I got a heater core changed before on a different car, the windows fogged up.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:15 PM   #10
nonovurbizniz

Could be a clog anywhere. so ya it could be the heater core.

Im not sure what your saying with the second part... the foggin up just means there is too much moister in the car so it condenses on the windows... if you put something to absorb the water in the air that should go away.

if you honda has a/c the condesor will pull out all excess moisture in the air. (ie it clears you fogged windows in a couple of seconds)
Old 12-19-2002, 05:20 PM   #11
Fine Malt

I'm sorry. I don't have fogged windows on this car. I did on my old Corsica, and it was the heater core. Just curious that if it was the h.c. why the windows weren't fogging up.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:59 PM   #12
nonovurbizniz

well the heater core foggin up your old car could have been just because it leaked liquid into the driver compartment.

the reason it may be the heater core and no fog is because if the heater core is clogged the problem is inside of it and it is not neccisarily leaking.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:47 AM   #13
bent_remy

Had the same prob in a me stick . Check the water pump. Thats could be wher the coolant is leaking from.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:29 PM   #14
Fine Malt

I don't think any coolant is leaking. At times I smell a hint of coolant when the heater is on, but not often. I suppose that could be the start of a problem.