Old 10-16-2005, 02:03 AM   #1
VR4_Craver
Banned

So apparently self defense is a no-no

A man is dead and a teen locked up after road rage incident

By GEOFF MULVIHILL
Associated Press Writer

September 13, 2005, 5:34 PM EDT

MOUNT LAUREL, N.J. -- Enraged after being cut off by a teen driver, authorities say a man then followed the high school athlete home and tried to run the youth down with his car. Instead, the 53-year-old was punched into unconsciousness and died Tuesday.

The teen was jailed, charged with aggravated assault.

Jeffrey Zucker, a lawyer for the 17-year-old, said it was a case of self-defense.

The charges against the boy, whose name was not released because of his age, were filed before James D. Munter died late Tuesday morning. The charges could be upgraded, but Bill Shralow, a spokesman for the Camden County prosecutor's office, said that decision would not be made Tuesday.

The youth cut off Munter, of Lindenwold, on a road in Laurel Springs on Monday evening, authorities said.

Zucker said the teen was on his way home from football practice around 5:30 p.m. when he inadvertently cut off the other driver.

Authorities said Munter followed the teen three miles to the student's home in Lindenwold, screaming through his window all the way. The teen used a cell phone to call his father, who told him to drive home, officials said.

When the teen arrived home, Zucker said, he ran across the street to his home from his still-idling truck, but he was not fast enough. With the teen's father watching, Munter drove into the youth, authorities said.

The teen, who Zucker said is about 6-foot-6 and 300 pounds, rolled off the hood of Munter's 1999 Mercury Sable, landed on his feet, walked to the driver's side of the car and punched Munter twice in the head.

Munter's son-in-law, Mark Serota, who described the man as "nice, fun-loving, goodhearted," said he lost consciousness instantly and never regained it.

Serota said police had asked the family not to talk about the details of the incident, including whether it seemed in character for Munter to follow or confront someone he considered to be a rude driver.

The teen was ordered to remain in the Camden County Youth Detention Center, at least until a hearing scheduled for Thursday.

Zucker said he hoped his client would be released to his parents then.

"It's a true tragedy because it certainly escalated into something that shouldn't have happened," Zucker said. "He was almost killed."

Zucker said three officials at the school where his client was a junior wrote letters supporting him, praising him as a good student and good citizen.

Gerri Carroll, the schools superintendent in Lindenwold, said extra help was available Tuesday for high school students who needed support after hearing about the incident.

The boy, she said, is an "excellent student, which is why this is very uncharacteristic."
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 02:30 AM   #2
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Two punches and he killed the guy? Holy shit...the kid must be a gorilla. I mean...6'6" 300lbs is one thing...but a two punch kill? Oh well...if the guy tried to kill the kid, he had it coming.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:33 AM   #3
IALuder

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 12:50 PM   #4
AzCivic

i wouldve done the same shit, stupid old fuck was probably driving all slow.

if he doens't go to jail, how cool would you be at school since everyone would know you killed someone with two punches? very cool imo.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 05:34 PM   #5
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

If the old man tried running over the kid...meh...sucks to be the old man...the kids not at fault.

and yes...can you imagine...holy shit...you killed a guy in two punches..your my hero....no one would fuck with you.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:41 PM   #6
drdingo21

The kid will get off.
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:17 PM   #7
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

If the story is true, the old fvcker got what he deserved.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:38 PM   #8
JDMFantasy2k

the guy obviously went out of his way to harass the kid, so whatever he gets her deserves. PLUS, he was commiting vehicular homicide, i think the kid should walk.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:27 AM   #9
MissJDM

What a big mother fucker. Pretty badass though. The older guy's family member must feel stupid for him

you say it best when you say nothing at all
MissJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:01 AM   #10
Robert
R-Tard

He must of hit him in the temple a few times. Sadly I think the older gentleman paid the biggest price for this. I wonder how it would have turned out if the boy hadn't just rolled off the hood?

You have to wonder about some people.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:11 AM   #11
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

you guys do know this isnt techniqually self defence? granted the guy got the beating he deserved... dunno about death, but self defence is when you fight back defending yoruself. not fighting someone cause they road raged on you and tried to hit or hit you with a car. he'll get probobly battery and assualt charges, maybe even involentary manslaughter but i highly doubt that, but he's 17, in a year its all dropped and forgotten anyways

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:41 AM   #12
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Who's to say the guy wouldn't have backed up and tried again? Sounds like self defence to me.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:01 PM   #13
VR4_Craver
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
you guys do know this isnt techniqually self defence? granted the guy got the beating he deserved... dunno about death, but self defence is when you fight back defending yoruself. not fighting someone cause they road raged on you and tried to hit or hit you with a car. he'll get probobly battery and assualt charges, maybe even involentary manslaughter but i highly doubt that, but he's 17, in a year its all dropped and forgotten anyways

yea...i dont know about you but I read the article....he didnt try to hit him...he rolled the fuck off his hood....and I would call that my life being in danger which then warrants physicall confrontations because you are in immediate danger. He did get charged with assault...but yes he will walk on it
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 04:16 PM   #14
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

^ what im saying is the law isnt "you get a chance to get even" its if your being attacked your allow to defend yourself.

of course the lawyer is going to make a self-defence case, and he'll probobly win it, but im just sayin....

Old 10-17-2005, 04:22 PM   #15
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
^ what im saying is the law isnt "you get a chance to get even" its if your being attacked your allow to defend yourself.

of course the lawyer is going to make a self-defence case, and he'll probobly win it, but im just sayin....

Well...technically the guy threatened his life by hitting him with the car. At that point in time, your life is in danger. The fact that he was still in the car and would probably try again if given the chance only strengthens the kid's position. Most self defense statutes read that a threat of bodily harm must exist to yourself or another party within the bounds of reason. I'd say trying to run a 17 year old kid over because he cut you off is presenting a threat of harm is a threat of bodily harm within the bounds of reason. If the kid hadn't punched him the article could very well be about a 17 year old who got run over.

But either way, this kid is walking.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 04:33 PM   #16
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

yeah, im just being a bitch and splitting hairs

Old 10-17-2005, 08:02 PM   #17
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
yeah, im just being a bitch and splitting hairs

yeah..but your kind of right. I've been down that "self defence" path before. The cops don't like that excuse.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:29 PM   #18
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

damn right im kinda right